BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looking at the last pic, your contractor did good as far as keeping water from running over that concrete footing into your neighbors property. Without concrete there your run off would not go over the footing/wall..whatever is under fence. That could have created issues between you and your neighbor..maybe. I dont know what on other side of fence.

If i lived in a subdivision and my neighbor did something that dumped extra water on my property i would be interested in why.

Good lines, nice finish. The swell is done good.. it’s up to you and if you feel the swell was necessary. The job looks good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks intentional. It also looks like it was done very well. That’s a long distance to run a swale that uniform by accident.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By contract:
Considering size of pad. It's fine.

View Quote

This.  It's easy to say slope it but in flat areas that might mean your pad sticks up too high out of the ground on the high side of the slope.

It looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you want to trigger a shit load of rainy day complaints, homeowners insurance claims, and lawsuits from your neighbor?

Maybe you should just toss some trash over the fence.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By grumpycoconut:
Why do you want to trigger a shit load of rainy day complaints, homeowners insurance claims, and lawsuits from your neighbor?

Maybe you should just toss some trash over the fence.
View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
You should keep the dirt
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
Around here you usually slope the whole pad for water runoff you don’t put a dip in it for a trough.
View Quote

This. You don’t pick some random spot to drain it either
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
So that will be a koi pond then?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
$3K?

You got what you paid for.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Is he going to clean the concrete splashes off the fence , he should have hung poly over it to protect it
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, what do the blueprints say?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Now the water will run over that dip, and wash out the soil under the concrete.  
You'll need to divert the water somewhere with a drainage pipe.  
View Quote
Preferably in the neighbor's yard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GravyLegs] [#14]
It's complete bullshit if he didn't tell you he wasn't laying a flat slab. A linear drain between the fence concrete and new slab is the only answer if drainage was a real concern.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
In some areas I build sheds in I have to have a stamped water runoff survey done by an engineer.

OP, call your local municipality. Around here they’d come measure your pad, the setbacks, and throw the book at you for not getting a permit and not following setback ordinance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
What does the local Inspector say?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Waldo0506:
In some areas I build sheds in I have to have a stamped water runoff survey done by an engineer.

OP, call your local municipality. Around here they’d come measure your pad, the setbacks, and throw the book at you for not getting a permit and not following setback ordinance.
View Quote

So your advice is that OP should invite the man into his life?

I don't think I'll subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#18]
@OP can you please post a photo from a bit further away that shows rooflines abundance gutters that would send water onto the pad. That may point to why it’s been done pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
What did your statement of work say?

Last two times I had concrete done, they detailed what they were going to do about water management.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By miseses:
I'm no contractor but it looks like <10 yards so minimum truck load, probably $1k just to have it delivered.  Assuming you got it excavated, gravel covered, formed, rebared, poured, finished, control joints and all that for $3k I would not feel too bad about the water management method.   The contractor barely cleared a profit on that thing and otherwise it looks great.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Likely code he was worried about. Because to put the dip in is extra work. I’m thinking not an oops or bad work. It actually looks decent to me from what I see.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like nice work actually.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't have had the concrete go all the way to the end, stop it 6" short and put gravel between fence and the end of the pad for the rain to run off into.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
We had a concrete pad installed by our fence line. As you can see in the photo below, the concrete doesn’t look even. Has a dip in it.

Contractor is saying they have to put a dip in it for rain to run off so it doesn’t impact the neighbor. Is this legit or bullshit?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3383_jpeg-3208959.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3381_jpeg-3208960.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3391_jpeg-3209080.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3392_jpeg-3209081.JPG
View Quote

Looks like shit to me .There are better ways to manage water .
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool, now you get to put in a dry well or deal with a soggy spot in your lawn.

I call BS on the code thing. I get that there’s probably a code saying “Don’t direct your water onto the neighbors property” but I doubt there’s a code saying “You must do a stupid looking trough that puts all the water in one spot.

There were better options, and he could have asked you how or where you wanted the runoff directed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:

This. You don’t pick some random spot to drain it either
View Quote

If that’s typically where the runoff goes you do.  And you don’t always grade the entire slab unless you don’t mind a swamp in  your backyard and don’t have French drains to carry it off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By gmtech:

Looks like shit to me .There are better ways to manage water .
View Quote

Yeah, it’s called a landscape engineer, backhoe, trenching and French drains, but I’m sure OP has deep pockets
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree it seems unintentional, but still seems weird to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Road_Warrior] [#30]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
$3K?

You got what you paid for.
View Quote

out of

We don't even know how many sqft. Not to mention, what you pay per sqft in WI doesn't mean it's the same in TX, or CA. If you're paying more than $12 per sqft in my area, you're paying too much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Concrete contractor here. No reason for a trough like that. He needs to cut out that section and properly set the grade for slope.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By miseses:
I'm no contractor but it looks like <10 yards so minimum truck load, probably $1k just to have it delivered.  Assuming you got it excavated, gravel covered, formed, rebared, poured, finished, control joints and all that for $3k I would not feel too bad about the water management method.   The contractor barely cleared a profit on that thing and otherwise it looks great.
View Quote
This
Great price, dip isn't too bad as it is near the fence and not in a heavy traffic area.
I would live with it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top