Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2024 8:15:26 AM EDT
I am building a pretty elaborate outdoor kitchen.  Built in Blackstone Griddle, built in gas grill, area for a smoker and charcoal grill, full size refrigerator, sink, plenty of cabinet and counter space, eating area, and it is covered. It will also be used for sausage making.  I want to keep my large amount of spices and seasonings out there however in the past with my smaller outdoor cooking area if i left the seasonings outside even sealed and in a storage container, they still seemed to cake up pretty easily after even a few days.

Has anyone else ran into this dilemma and has anyone found a solution?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#2]
Wooden tool box like kids make in shop class.  Bring the box of spice inside to protect them.  

I know my spice containers never seal all that well.  Either the paper foil leaves hard to get off bits on the rim making a good seal impossible or the lid has shaker holes and a snap lid that get poor over time.

Edit, short of using an old fridge that isn’t running but has a good seal I don’t think you can avoid the changing temps from day to night cycles from putting moisture in the bottles.   That might be a bit too ghetto for your nice party area, one might try hiding it or making it more fitting by encasing it in wood like the counters.

Perhaps a small yeti clone cooler that seals well and put in a cabinet will suffice.   You need to protect from temp changes to aid in preventing the humidity from attacking your stores.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You want's something air tight.

I got some of those cool mini Dutch ovens to put my Salt, Pepper, Garlic in and the next time I went out to use it it was hard as a rock.

Also let's see some pictures.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By callmestick:
You want's something air tight.

I got some of those cool mini Dutch ovens to put my Salt, Pepper, Garlic in and the next time I went out to use it it was hard as a rock.

Also let's see some pictures.
View Quote

I should have read the entire post first.  Silly me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I bring everything inside .
One of those large tool totes can make your cook much easier. Pack it with everything you will need for your cook .  Reduces your WOS significantly.

WOS= walk of shame.

Having to go back into the kitchen because you forgot something .
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By garyd:
I am building a pretty elaborate outdoor kitchen.  Built in Blackstone Griddle, built in gas grill, area for a smoker and charcoal grill, full size refrigerator, sink, plenty of cabinet and counter space, eating area, and it is covered. It will also be used for sausage making.  I want to keep my large amount of spices and seasonings out there however in the past with my smaller outdoor cooking area if i left the seasonings outside even sealed and in a storage container, they still seemed to cake up pretty easily after even a few days.

Has anyone else ran into this dilemma and has anyone found a solution?
View Quote
For camping we have a bundle of spices that are in the original containers, in a tupperware container. Some have caked up over the years, but most haven't.

Another idea might be to put a moisture absorber in the container you store the spices in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:39:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for some of the suggestions.  A small not running refrigerator actually sounds like an idea I could work with.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I still have a lot of work to do.

Attachment Attached File

So far I have got some great deals on items.  The 6x6 posts were free, the granite countertops, the tile, and the barn wood was free.  I paid $139 for the roofing on clearance. Paid 90 for the stainless farm sink.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By garyd:
I still have a lot of work to do.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0406241936_jpg-3183843.JPG

So far I have got some great deals on items.  The 6x6 posts were free, the granite countertops, the tile, and the barn wood was free.  I paid $139 for the roofing on clearance. Paid 90 for the stainless farm sink.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0406241936a_jpg-3183844.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0406241937_jpg-3183845.JPG
View Quote

Sweeeet
Top Top