Posted: 5/3/2024 8:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried it and I made the chunks a little bigger than 1.5"x1.5"I would say to trim any hard fat off the belly, it doesnt render well and becomes kinda rubbery
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Burnt ends don’t last long around my house. Cube, season, bring to temp slowly (over an hour or so) season again, drop in a pan with sauce of your choice, (bbq and a bit of honey or maple syrup), back on the smoker to carmelize and finish.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I like them better unsauced, but the sauce can really impact flavor. I used whatever we had last time and didn't like them as much as before.
This sauce was good though... I smoke them in strips then cube before saucing. Get a combo of bark and soft meat. I also like seasoning, smoking, and slicing like brisket.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#8]
I'm going to do Schuey's or Chud's Pork Belly recipe this week.  Just picked up 6 LBS of Pork Belly at Sams today myself.  Gonna smoke it with hickory and applewood chunks on a simple charcoal weber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBLaQsimPg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBGcSkTpsw

I also got a 4.5LB chuck roast I'm going to tie around and do like a Texas style brisket tomorrow.  It's only 4.5LB so I think it's safe to start in the morning rather than overnight.  I really wanted a Brisket but a) 15+ LB is a lot of meat to cook randomly for no occasion and mostly b) Sams only had one whole brisket and it looked terrible.  They did have a bunch of brisket flats, but I'd rather buy pork belly than just brisket flat... so I did.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:
I'm going to do Schuey's or Chud's Pork Belly recipe this week.  Just picked up 6 LBS of Pork Belly at Sams today myself.  Gonna smoke it with hickory and applewood chunks on a simple charcoal weber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBLaQsimPg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBGcSkTpsw

I also got a 4.5LB chuck roast I'm going to tie around and do like a Texas style brisket tomorrow.  It's only 4.5LB so I think it's safe to start in the morning rather than overnight.  I really wanted a Brisket but a) 15+ LB is a lot of meat to cook randomly for no occasion and mostly b) Sams only had one whole brisket and it looked terrible.  They did have a bunch of brisket flats, but I'd rather buy pork belly than just brisket flat... so I did.
View Quote
Chud's is the reason I do strips when I do them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:07:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#10]
That Chuck I mentioned earlier came out great.

It was a behemoth, 4.5LBS.  I put a wrap of butcher twine on it to hold the whole thing together cooked it Chud-Brisket style. Rubbed with pepper/Salt/Garlic.  Smoked on the weber kettle using minion method at 250F with two chunks of pecan and a chunk of hickory.  Spritzed the toasty bits occasionally with 1/2 ACV, 1/2 apple juice.  Took about 6 hours at 250F to hit a stall @ 151F, so I foil-boated it with 1/2 stick of butter tossed in the bottom of the boat.  Bumped it up to 275F to push through the stall and instead of spritzing ACV from here on out, I occasionally mopped some of the rendered fat from the boat onto the open top to really crisp up that bark.  The boat was so full of fat/juice it was overflowing.  It probed tender at 201F after a little over 3 hours so I pulled it and let it rest an hour and we dug in.  

It was DAMN close to being great-brisket-good despite just being chuck roast.  If I ordered brisket somewhere and was served that, I probably wouldn't have noticed it was sliced chuck roast and been happy with it.  At $5.99/LB it's not like it was cheaper than brisket save for the fact it was 1/4-1/3 the size of an actual Brisket - so perfect for a normal family dinner and took half the time to cook.  Next time a big chuck roast is on sale, I'll have to squirrel one away to the freezer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like a success OP!

I like doing a batch of these and Malcom Reed's smoked beans so the smoker is going as guests arrive, that way they get to see it in action a little. They're always a hit.  By that time the pork is already done and staying warm.  Sauce was thickened before they were eaten.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I did a batch that turned our alright following Chud's recipe iirc.  I much prefer just seasoning and cooking them like a brisket.  I've also done crispy skin pork belly which was pretty awesome, too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to make pork belly burnt ends, but decided to cure bacon instead.
Top Top