Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2024 1:23:23 PM EDT
Watching some coverage of RMRRF and this do dad caught my eye. The company is Rack Robotics and they make a set up to turn your 3D printer into a wire EDM machine. That seems really cool. I hope some stand alone videos come out so I can learn more. I hope it could be useful for Arfcom related things.

Rack Robotics
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#2]
I just came into this forum to ask which specific Ender 3 models are 24V, because that's what Rack's new v2.0 system requires.

My CR-10S is a 12V system or else I'd convert it and build a Voron.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Intresting, but as someone that runs wedm machines professionally, I am very unsettled by the visible lack of many fundamental wedm machine componets. I will have to look in to this more later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Happy to see that it will be open sourced.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
This caught my eye last night while scrolling tiktok.  I'm trying to think of a need to justify it.  We regularly send things out for wire EDM work at my job, but that's all larger stuff that this wouldn't handle and wouldn't be accurate enough for.  It may work well for a mag well on a 0%.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Rack Robotics also has a 1/16' brass electrode, EDM holder, for 3D printers posted on Printables:
https://www.printables.com/model/411361-edm-cartridge-electrical-discharge-machining

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PiGood:
Intresting, but as someone that runs wedm machines professionally, I am very unsettled by the visible lack of many fundamental wedm machine componets. I will have to look in to this more later.
View Quote

What's missing?  I've heard of systems that automatically burn pilot holes and feed the wire through them, catch it on the other side, and start it on the takeup spool.  That would be nice, but not knowing how it's done, I can't imagine how much it would add to the cost to do that on a home hobbyist machine.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:06:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PiGood] [#8]
So from a professional machines standpoint on Wire EDM there is a lot of fundamental components you will find on all WEDM machines.

The ones they are missing.

1. High pressure flushing pumps. - They clear the eroded material from the cut, the quicker you get the material out of the cut the faster you can go.
2. Filters. - You are reusing the water, so you need to filter out the eroded material before you recycle it. If you don't not only will it plug up the system, the particulate will mess with your conductivity between the part and the wire and thus your cut speed/efficiency as you cut.
3. De Ionizer System - This combined with the filters helps you maintain the resistance level in the water, otherwise you pretty much have no control of your arc gap as you cut.
4. Tension system - The wire extends when heated by the cut process, So with out some sort of a system to maintain the wire tension during the cut, the wire can bow. I think this is part of the reason why they have the feed wire on the bottom, they are trying to use the spool weight to mitigate it.
5. Water Chiller system - Between the cut process an the pumps, it will only take a little bit for that water to be like bath water. For the accuracy level of this system it shouldn't be a big deal, but that baby is still going to get hot.
6. Wire spool holder - That wire they are using, will come on at the minimum a 8lb spool, and then you need to rewind it on to their little couple 100gram spools. It really wouldn't take much to make a wire feed system, as it is basically just a motor that feeds when a swing arm hits a limit switch creating a slack loop that the machine them uses out of.
Top Top