Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2024 8:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin]
I don't know how much exposure this will get in this forum (no offense). I have a friend from Australia that left that shit-show in 2020 with his wife. I meet him at the range in fact. He and his wife have a nice manlicher .22 AR-15. Anyway, I'd like to sell him a handgun. He's legal as far as I know, in fact, he's ordered a handgun from Academy. I didn't think there is an issue but thought I'd ask.

TIA
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Delete this post and live your life.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
View Quote
Huh? This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
I don't know how much exposure this will get in this forum (no offense). I have a friend from Australia that left that shit-show in 2020 with his wife. I meet him at the range in fact. He and his wife have a nice manlicher .22 AR-15. Anyway, I'd like to sell him a handgun. He's legal as far as I know, in fact, he's ordered a handgun from Academy. I didn't think there is an issue but thought I'd ask.

TIA
View Quote

<----FFL
As long as he's in the US legally, he can buy a firearm. Citizenship is not a requirement and never has been.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotcha. I didn't know if it pertained to private transactions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:03:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HCM3156] [#5]

TIA
View Quote

Legal Permanent Residents (aka “Green Card” holders) are considered “U.S. Persons” meaning they are treated the same as citizens for both gun laws and ITAR. I.e. they can buy and carry guns, take tactical training classes etc.

People on work or student visas (who are also “legal”) are different. There is an exception that allows them to possess or acquire firearms if they have a valid state hunting license as long as they are legal immigration status. However, unlike the Green card holders they are not considered US persons for ITAR.

These requirements do apply to both FFLs and private transactions. Knowingly transferring a firearm or ammunition to a prohibited person is a federal offense for both the seller and the buyer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]

TIA
View Quote

Depends upon his immigration status:

(d)It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person, including as a juvenile—
(5)who, being an alien—
(A)is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
(B)except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal] [#7]
Originally Posted By HCM3156:

Legal Permanent Residents (aka "Green Card" holders) are considered "U.S. Persons" meaning they are treated the same as citizens for both gun laws and ITAR. I.e. they can buy and carry guns, take tactical training classes etc.

People on work or student visas (who are also "legal") are different. There is an exception that allows them to possess or acquire firearms if they have a valid state hunting license as long as they are legal immigration status. However, unlike the Green card holders they are not considered US persons for ITAR.

These requirements do apply to both FFLs and private transactions. Knowingly transferring a firearm or ammunition to a prohibited person is a federal offense for both the seller and the buyer.
View Quote
This is correct. The Green Card holder is good to go, just like any American.
Non-immigrant visa - lots of complications - I would not advise.... need to show purpose, like being a hunter and having a hunting license and what not.

source - I went from non-immigrant visa to GC to citizenship myself
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
View Quote

Glad to see some still carrying the 13’er torch big and bright.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
He does have a hunting license. But anyway we are going to pass it thru an FFL.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Glad to see some still carrying the 13’er torch big and bright.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Top Top