Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2022 3:29:55 AM EDT
Went to West Coast Shaving to peruse their selection of Yaqi synth brushes holy moly have prices gone up.

A brush that cost around $12 is now $20+
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Pubes are about to get out of control.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I tell my wife I saw this all coming and show her how much money I saved "prepping for the shavepocalypse."

Really I just went fuckin nuts and came to my senses with enough shave shit to depilate half my fuckin county for the next decade.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Pubes are about to get out of control.
View Quote

Explain the late 70s without saying anything specific
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My Taylor of Old Bond Street super badger brush is pretty thin these days so I looked into getting a new one… I don’t remember what it cost me 10+ years ago but they’re $150+ now
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:48:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hooooon] [#5]
Originally Posted By JKnight:
My Taylor of Old Bond Street super badger brush is pretty thin these days so I looked into getting a new one… I don’t remember what it cost me 10+ years ago but they’re $150+ now
View Quote
I definitely would consider getting a custom knot put in your existing handle instead of buying a new one at those prices.  I got a Strike Gold Shave custom knot put into a handle I bought and it’s been a phenomenal brush for me.  I have not babied it at all, been using it at least 3x per week since October of 2021 and so far I haven’t lost a hair.  I haven’t tried any other vendors, but I’m sure they’re good too.  Frank’s prices start around $100 for his custom knot and install, but he puts them on sale fairly often.  Price goes WAAAY down if you want synthetic or something besides badger.

I am not really a collector (my only other brush I use is a travel synthetic from Alpha), but I do like nice things.  Up to you if it’s worth it.  I’d rather have one really nice shaving brush that I use every day instead of 10-100 random ones, but shaving isn’t really a hobby for me like it is for some people.  Not judging people who are into it, it’s just not my thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hooooon:
I definitely would consider getting a custom knot put in your existing handle instead of buying a new one at those prices.  I got a Strike Gold Shave custom knot put into a handle I bought and it’s been a phenomenal brush for me.  I have not babied it at all, been using it at least 3x per week since October of 2021 and so far I haven’t lost a hair.  I haven’t tried any other vendors, but I’m sure they’re good too.  Frank’s prices start around $100 for his custom knot and install, but he puts them on sale fairly often.  Price goes WAAAY down if you want synthetic or something besides badger.

I am not really a collector (my only other brush I use is a travel synthetic from Alpha), but I do like nice things.  Up to you if it’s worth it.  I’d rather have one really nice shaving brush that I use every day instead of 10-100 random ones, but shaving isn’t really a hobby for me like it is for some people.  Not judging people who are into it, it’s just not my thing.
View Quote

I’ll check it out. I shave 5 days a week and only have 2 brushes (my nice badger that’s not holding up super well and a cheapo boar hair that I started off with and now use for travel). I think getting my main one replaced/fixed up would make my daily shave a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
About 5 years ago I got 4 of the Dovo ebony handle badger brushes for $8 each off of Amazon.  Also got the the Dovo straight razor kit and dopp bag for $120 and sold the razor that came with it for $150.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Twelve arko sticks is still $20.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
Twelve arko sticks is still $20.
View Quote

Amazon?

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

Amazon?

View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Last week I bought a new Cremo brand beard brush and some Beard Guyz balm.  The brush price was about 40% higher than the last one I bought, and the balm was closer to 80% higher than the last can (2 years ago).  Worse than the price increases is availability. I'm rationing my Organic 25 beard oil, because I hate supporting Amazon and its vaporware locally now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Both of my shaving brushes are vintage/hand me down Ever-Ready. Are new ones just not built as durable?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Both of my shaving brushes are vintage/hand me down Ever-Ready. Are new ones just not built as durable?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Even my "modern" brush is over a decade old and only loses one or two bristles on occasion. I have shaved daily with Proraso soap, and have a small stand that allows the bristles to hang down straight to dry. Maybe it's something in the way I treat it.
Top Top