Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2024 12:12:24 AM EDT
Anyone here a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism? (or have experience with them)

I am an "Have done things over the year" member with long breaks. I have been creeping around again as of late.

I kind of find myself a little more interested in HEMA these days.

For those that dont know....got to about 2:15 for the big end of SCA.

Pennsic War SCA Battle Combat
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Years ago, not for a decade or so.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
So, American Civil War reenacting, but 500 years earlier?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Willmar:
View Quote

Not really, because the "combat" is a fairly heavy contact sport.  

There is a lot more to the SCA, but specific to the beating the shit out of each other with sticks, its real.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#4]
Former deputy kingdom officer here.  They've gotten far too woke for me to play any more.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
30 years
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
Former deputy kingdom officer here.  They've gotten far too woke for me to play any more.
View Quote

Atlantia ?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
It was fun getting drunk with them in the late 80s early 90s (Orc Wars!!!), but they started to turn into the Society for Compulsive Accuracy. Which took the fun out of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:
Anyone here a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism? (or have experience with them)

I am an "Have done things over the year" member with long breaks. I have been creeping around again as of late.

I kind of find myself a little more interested in HEMA these days.

For those that dont know....got to about 2:15 for the big end of SCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJCzVscRgkw
View Quote

Every time I hear of SCA, I can't help but recall the stuff I have read about MZB.

Very unpleasant stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Every time I hear of SCA, I can't help but recall the stuff I have read about MZB.

Very unpleasant stuff.
View Quote

Every large organization has its share of shitbirds, SCA is no different and makes an effort to weed them out both officially and unofficially
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#10]
Originally Posted By Stutzmech:

Every large organization has its share of shitbirds, SCA is no different and makes an effort to weed them out both officially and unofficially
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Very unpleasant stuff.

She was a founder.

ETA: or at the least involved enough such that she *named* the thing.

When I initially ran acrouss info about it, it seemed neat-ish to me, but by that time I was beyond the age of joining such things. Didn't find out about the other stuff till much later.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#11]

She was a founder.
View Quote

Yes she was, can find many in other organizations that were as bad or worse
ETA for your edit I joined in 81 and spent a lot of time in the org. they are still embarrassed to this day about what has gone on, but again I say you will have that in any org.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyway,back to ops thread, op are you participating in heavy weapons fighting yet?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#13]
My trainer is SCA

Among the other activities, he was into the jousting. Dude can cut with a Spanish Norman like it is a quarter horse.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, you know that whole idea of "What if 3 guys took modern guns and went back in time to some medieval battle. How much ass would they kick?"

Now you can try it for real OP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Late '70's. Barony of Calafia.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Late '70's. Barony of Calafia.
View Quote

Way back, heavy fighter?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. Wife and I were both very active for 20+ years. Stopped about 20 years ago due to endless petty politics.  I don’t miss it.

I did some of everything:  heavy weapons, light weapons, archery, leather work, sewing, cooking, music, woodworking, heraldry, pottery, local offices, regional offices, kingdom offices.  Got lots of awards.  

Over all, I’d say it enriched my life in many ways.  But, as with all clubs, the petty politics eventually ruined it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
Yes. Wife and I were both very active for 20+ years. Stopped about 20 years ago due to endless petty politics.  I don’t miss it.

I did some of everything:  heavy weapons, light weapons, archery, leather work, sewing, cooking, music, woodworking, heraldry, pottery, local offices, regional offices, kingdom offices.  Got lots of awards.  

Over all, I’d say it enriched my life in many ways.  But, as with all clubs, the petty politics eventually ruined it.
View Quote

Bigger it got the worse it was, best is to play local and stay out of politics
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Way back, heavy fighter?
View Quote
Of course, I was young then.

Eventually got tired of the soap opera aspect though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Of course, I was young then.

Eventually got tired of the soap opera aspect though.
View Quote

I stuck with heavy and traveled just for the fighting and training, more fun
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:21:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amannamedjed] [#21]

Bigger it got the worse it was, best is to play local and stay out of politics
View Quote

Agreed. The best fun I had was the first couple of years when I didn’t know anything and was a nobody.

ETA:  This is kind of why I have stayed away from shooting sports.  I perceive there are the same kinds of behavior in those groups as in the SCA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:24:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:

Agreed. The best fun I had was the first couple of years when I didn’t know anything and was a nobody.
View Quote

Ya, I got beat pretty bad the first few years, takes about 10 years to get pretty decent, hard to not get busted up training hard
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Very unpleasant stuff.

True. Awhile back, we had a local guy who liked to follow teenage girls around.  It didn’t take long to run him off. But, for awhile there, we had the baronial guards take turns at discreetly keeping watch on him at events around the clock.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Member since 1982.  Mostly heavy weapons fighting and target archery.
Wife and daughters started playing late 1980's.
Many wonderful memories of kingdom events and most of the major wars.
Along the way wife and I served as deputy marshals for combat archery and target archery.
Stepped back after serving 7 and 12 years as Society archer marshals.
Many changes have happened since the 80's some of which we are not happy about,
and old age has arrived.

An old Pelican / Huscarl of Calontir
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Also seems like good training and weapons for clearing the "Free Gaza" zones on university campuses.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a member for quite a long time but have not been for several years.  It was a lot of fun.   We used to do live action Chess games at hospitals for sick kids and the kids got to decide on  each board move and who lived and died.   It was so much fun
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#27]

There is a lot more to the SCA, but specific to the beating the shit out of each other with sticks, its real.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Willmar:

Quite true. When I was active, in The Middle Kingdom, the only protective gear required was a helmet with a protected face, and at least Hockey gloves. Cups were recommended.
I broke a guys hand through his hockey glove, with an off stroke from a two-handed sword. I still think I can feel the bruise I always had on my left upper leg.
I was in from 1973-1984. Introduced to it by a couple of Charter Members.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#28]

She was a founder.

When I initially ran acrouss info about it, it seemed neat-ish to me, but by that time I was beyond the age of joining such things. Didn't find out about the other stuff till much later.
View All Quotes

Very unpleasant stuff.

She was a founder.

Get in and push them out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Seemed interesting when I went to a couple of events in 1989.  The first in Memphis, then a few people convinced me to go to another over a weekend in Hot Springs. They had me throw on some tunic looking long shirt so I would kinda' blend in while I was hanging around. The two things I recall was that Memphis is called the Gray Niche (spent half the weekend thinking people were calling it "Grenich") and the main local dude was some guy named Bear Killer.  I picked up an armor price list from one of the Arkansas guys who had some plate mail on display (I remember him being a really nice guy), but couldn't afford to take on another hobby at that point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:01:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: svt40] [#30]
I gave it a try back in 1988.  I think I weighed 105 pounds in full armor.  The first day I went home with my shoulder split open.  The last day I went was a Sterling bridge training day.  I was a front line shield wall guy (why I have no idea) and the guy opposite me was at least 1.5 feet taller than me (I'm 5'10).  When it came time for them to push he stepped on my foot and slammed my noggin on my way down.  Brilliant move on his part but damn he rang my bell hard even through a 16g steel full face bascinet.  

I stuck with WWII re-enactment after that day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I like to keep my LARP and my fencing separate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#32]
From the few SCA events I went to years ago: mostly fat people LARPing a Monty Python movie.

But some of the folks were solid warriors with their weapons. Very formidable in a fight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Been in since 1988 in college. Started in armoured combat. Did fairly well. Knighted in 96. Battered and beat to shit. Now I do fencing and unarmoured cut and thrust mostly.

Also an armourer. Make most of my stuff out of tempered 1050 these days. Here is a pic of my current kit. Work seems to be blocking Imgur so I cant imbed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/134AUAFMW_0Xo7zucVjjgIf6pwVt49yDq/view?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#35]
HEMA, because I'm only interested in the beating the shit out of each other part.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By adversor:
HEMA, because I'm only interested in the beating the shit out of each other part.
View Quote

You can do that in SCA too the difference with hema is that you use metal weapons instead of dildos.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By adversor:
View Quote

Did some hema, problem is the injury rate goes way up, can be fixed with better armor but takes some of the fun out
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I knew some members when I was at Fort Hoodlum just before I went to Jump School.
They made the local papers once or twice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I was a member from 1981 to 2018.  I stopped after my back surgery and couldn't fight anymore.  I started as a heavy fighter, moved to light and did cut and thrust my last 10 years.  

Like any group, most people were out to have a good time.  A few Karen thread counters tried to ruin it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

You can do that in SCA too the difference with hema is that you use metal weapons instead of dildos.
View Quote

Dildos??? More like a 4 foot section of rebar. Those cut and thrust steel blades are nothing ro sneeze at.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Dildos??? More like a 4 foot section of rebar. Those cut and thrust steel blades are nothing ro sneeze at.
View Quote

That was more of a shot at my issue with padding the weapon not the fighter.
Plus steel feels amazing in a bind.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Join, and you can train like Two-Ton 21!

(I keed, I keed).

Two Ton 21 | The Venture Bros. | Adult Swim
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:35:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#43]
I'm thinking I would be out of the action the first time some faggot hit the shit out of my shield with a weapon that resembles a fucking boat anchor or something.

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#44]
That was a thing when I was in high school.

Class of '76.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:40:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#45]
Originally Posted By SAE:
I'm thinking I would be out of the action the first time some faggot hit the shit out of my shield with a weapon that resembles a fucking boat anchor or something.

Fuck that.
View Quote

What’s fun is to get stabbed full force in the face with a 9 foot fiberglass glass pole with a 1 1/2 inch padded point, wakes you right up
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Yes, yes it is.

(me in the green)

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I got tetanus looking at this picture.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
I got tetanus looking at this picture.
View Quote
Rust and shitty armor is period.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Joined in '88 in Drachenwald (EU mostly), did heavy weapons and armoring until joints complained beyond ignoring them. Wacking friends with sticks is very cathartic. My lady (hat tip) is a Laurel, I just kick back and watch the parade. Pennsic's a hoot, but we haven't been in a while as we're mostly in IRL now. Currently into archery, and artillery when in the US.

Lots of good folks and fun, as I stay away from politics and drama. The period illuminations of swirling battles is pretty accurate after watching the field battles from Runestone Hill above the fort.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I used to work with a guy that was in to that. He went to Pensic every year with his clan and did well in the archery stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top