Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/29/2024 8:56:20 AM EDT
Greetings, I currently live in the Rochester, MN area and work at Mayo.  MN has had some terrible legislation recently proposed and/OR passed.  We are looking to move across the border.  We homestead.  Have a dairy cow, raise sheep, chickens, and ducks.  Any thoughts or advice?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
No advice, but welcome.

I moved here to escape Illinois and don't have any regrets.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
What specific questions do you have?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
What specific questions do you have?
View Quote

Thank you!  I suppose there is an element of "you don't know what you don't know.". So I may not be yet equipped to ask the right questions. We are going to look at a couple of properties on Monday.  For now, I would try to keep my job at Mayo so close to the MN border would be ideal, possibly Osage or nearby.  Any cautions about that area?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikekay] [#4]
Look up the demographics for Osage/ Mitchell county. It's pretty safe, as is the rest of the top two counties across the state line is mostly Amish.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You'd be welcome in Chickasaw or Howard county.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mikekay:
Look up the demographics for Osage/ Mitchell county. It's pretty safe, as is the rest of the top two counties across the state line is mostly Amish.
View Quote

Thank you, we actually looked at a property in Osage this weekend but unfortunately it is now under contract.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:47:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vingrjoe] [#8]
Is Osage the town with the stuffed Albino deer on display ?

I really like alot of the small Iowa towns.

My wife and I have been discussing moving to Iowa, Missouri or South Dakota in light of the Commie Train losing its brakes in MN. However, she has a good gig at Mayo as well and I work for a decent Auto Repair Shop, which makes it tough to leave.

EDIT: Actually I think it is St Ansgar with the stuffed Albino deer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By vingrjoe:
Is Osage the town with the stuffed Albino deer on display ?

I really like alot of the small Iowa towns.

My wife and I have been discussing moving to Iowa, Missouri or South Dakota in light of the Commie Train losing its brakes in MN. However, she has a good gig at Mayo as well and I work for a decent Auto Repair Shop, which makes it tough to leave.

EDIT: Actually I think it is St Ansgar with the stuffed Albino deer.
View Quote

Yeah that's St. Ansgar. I was in junior high at the time, the town was selling T shirts to help pay for the taxidermy bill.

She's still on display in the middle of town.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top