Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2023 4:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KingAirDriver]
Hey guys,

We have a 2017 Chaparral H2O Ski and Fish that we've owned since new. We weren't able to get it out at all last year, and haven't been able to get to it yet this year. It's basically been sitting for a couple years. I forget the exact specs at the moment, but it's a 200hp MerCruiser Inboard/Outboard.

I keep up with the MX, so it had oil changes (motor and lower), impeller changed, and winterized before it was put away. Unfortunately, I'm not a bright man and didn't realize I need to run pure gas, so it has the regular every day unleaded from the gas station, probably ethanol blended. Talked briefly with the local boat repair guy and he said it would probably need some fuel line work, etc, but I don't know about this stuff.

I'll have a new battery put in, but what else do you think it might need? It's been sitting on an open lot, but I do have a cover on the boat. Just wondering what to expect how bad it could be.

B.O.A.T.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It might crank right up.

Had a brother in law pass away and his Harley sat for over two years. Sister in law wanted to sell so I went over to check it out. I drained as much of the old fuel as I could and replaced the battery. Cranked up and ran fine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The wife's old car sat outside for two years without being run. Had a new battery put in and while it didn't run REALLY well for a few seconds, it started and ran just fine with the same gas that was in the tank. New buyer was happy.
Now her cousins' cars that sit elsewhere on the property haven't run in probably well over 5 years, thinking they have shellac where gas used to be.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:31:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KingAirDriver] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
It might crank right up.

Had a brother in law pass away and his Harley sat for over two years. Sister in law wanted to sell so I went over to check it out. I drained as much of the old fuel as I could and replaced the battery. Cranked up and ran fine.
View Quote
Good to know. I should probably drag it to a lake and try it out.

I need to find a video about connecting household water via hose to the motor. Anyone have a link?

ETA: Should've said that I've searched, but my terms may be off. Can't find anything helpful.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#4]
Only two years ago and properly winterized and put away...even with no fuel treatment in it it's probably fine.  Take the gas cap off and give it a sniff.  If it smells like turpentine you've got issues, if not, you are probably ok.  Even the crappy fairly modern gas (last 10 years or so) will last a few years.

We use StaBil for fuel treatment.  Supposed to keep gas fresh longer, seems to work.  I do like to rotate gas out at least every year (toy hauler/gas cans, etc.) but I've gone 3 years before with no issues.

ETA:  Earmuffs on the lower unit connected to a hose at your house and you can start it up and run it.  don't run it without the earmuffs on, it will destroy your impeller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DRGWKDY?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Water filter on the fuel line?  Not sure about your specific boat, but a lot of boats have an open vent to the gas tank. This leads to a ton of condensation.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
2017 should have been fitted with the hoses that don't fall apart.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RWA007:
Only two years ago and properly winterized and put away...even with no fuel treatment in it it's probably fine.  Take the gas cap off and give it a sniff.  If it smells like turpentine you've got issues, if not, you are probably ok.  Even the crappy fairly modern gas (last 10 years or so) will last a few years.

We use StaBil for fuel treatment.  Supposed to keep gas fresh longer, seems to work.  I do like to rotate gas out at least every year (toy hauler/gas cans, etc.) but I've gone 3 years before with no issues.

ETA:  Earmuffs on the lower unit connected to a hose at your house and you can start it up and run it.  don't run it without the earmuffs on, it will destroy your impeller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DRGWKDY?tag=arfcom00-20;hvadid=83838013332579&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=96707&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83838653746442%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=10032_10495669&keywords=boat+ear+muffs&qid=1689457827&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
View Quote
Good deal, thanks. And thanks to everyone else as well! I'll get these earmuffs ordered and see what's up. Should have some time next week to look it all over. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 11:03:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I'll respond when I get home. Too difficult on my phone.

ETA -At home now.

Being a 2017 model boat it's fuel system will be "sealed" and not

vented directly to the atmosphere (EPA rules) so the fuel should

be "OK". However, I would try to drain/siphon out as much as you can

if it has more than a 1/2 tank in it. If it's only got 1/4 tank or less, fill

it with fresh fuel and try to get it started.

Being a 2017 I'll assume it's a fuel injected engine as well which are more tolerant

to sitting for extended periods of time since FI systems aren't vented to

the atmosphere like a carburetor is.

I would recommend doing a standard annual service which is an oil/filter change,

fuel filter, gear lube and a water pump impeller. The impeller isn't necessarily

an annual thing with your outdrive (Alpha 1 Gen 2) but since it's been sitting

it's cheap insurance and you will know it's good. Normal service interval on

that impeller is three years or 300 hours, whichever comes first assuming you

don't run it dry or pump a bunch of sand/mud through it.

Any questions just post up.

<--Certified Mercruiser Technician.
View Quote
Oh man, I'm so sorry that I missed this reply! I've been checking back daily, but never saw a reply to the message. I opened this to post an update and saw your edit. My bad. Thanks for taking the time to send that.

****UPDATE****
The impeller was just replaced last service, as was the oil all around, but thanks for the good idea!

So, I bought the earmuffs. Wife and I brought it home today gave it a quick bath (it was gross, but not as bad as I expected). I put my charger on the batteries just to see what it said. After a little while it flagged a bad battery, as expected. They were well due for a change anyway. I swapped both batteries out this afternoon, sweat about 15 lbs out of my body, hooked up the muffs and turned the key fired right up! Has just under a half a tank. I'll top it off with fresh gas on our way to the lake tomorrow!

Thanks again, guys! Much appreciated. I'll post back if I remember to let you know how the day went, and some pics, if able!
Top Top