Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 12:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lotsagas4u]
Looking for a nice, quality made jon boat to fish a small lake. Looking for suggestions from owners on NOT what to buy. I like the V hull front and would prefer welded, instead of rivets. Really like the look of the Lowe roughneck series. Tell me where I'm wrong, thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Widest beam you can get.

Flat bottom gives more usable space,  but will beat your teeth out in more than just a small chop.  Know the openness of the water body you plan to traverse, to consider flat or v bottom.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
16 is a bit large to row 14 is more likely to be able to row it or control it with a trolling motor only. I’d be looking for a used one in the $800. To $1200 range . Used motors that are not in working condition will cost half the price of a new one to have a marine mechanic work it over. If all you want to do is fish a small lake I think Mercury makes a 5 hp propane motor. 9.9 pushes a 14 to 16 ft pretty good and 25 is all you would want unless you get a boat large enough to have remote steering. Yes welded is better yes longer is better yes wider is better but at what cost.
If you stay under $2500 you can get your money back out of it. If you buy new you might be 20K into one that is cooler but doesn’t catch more fish.  I would also look real hard at a Kayak if it’s only you fishing. I prefer the sit inside like Wilderness System Pungo 125 https://www.confluenceoutdoor.com/en-us/products/pungo-125-recreational-kayak/9731079201
If it’s also for family outings or will be used at the gulf look for a fiberglass Carolina Skiff 16 ft with a galvanized trailer and 40 + Hp w remote steering. Some fiberglass boats like Mako are self bailing meaning water over the bow washes out scupper holes in back  that’s a rough water boat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SHD:
Widest beam you can get.

Flat bottom gives more usable space,  but will beat your teeth out in more than just a small chop.  Know the openness of the water body you plan to traverse, to consider flat or v bottom.
View Quote

Yup.
I had a motor failure in a 14 ft rental jon boat on a large lake. The weather called for light and variable winds all day. The weather turned on us. 25+ mph winds with gusts higher. We wound up in 3ft chop, taking on water, no motor, blowing into light  timber(too small to climb), and about a mile from our ramp, 500 yards off shore, with floaty seat cushions for safety. Fucked, we were. Out of nowhere, a boat pulls up, and drags us to our ramp, the old man cusses us up and down, and leaves. We were the only vehicle parked at the ramp. The next closest ramp was more than 5 miles away, across the main lake. That old man might have saved our lives.
Top Top