Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2023 4:08:36 PM EDT
Who has one. They're pricey. Before I spend $40,000 -$45,000 on one I want to hear what all the likes and dislikes are.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Man that's a lot of coin for a 15' boat!
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigfish9202:
Man that's a lot of coin for a 15' boat!
View Quote

Yes it is but in ten years you can sell it for what you paid for it. In twenty years you can make money on it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Are they that much these days?  I paid 28K for my 24' Whaler. (though I had to repower it a few years later)

I suggest you buy used. They hold value well be at least it's SOMETHING off the new sticker price.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid that much for a 190 Montauk back in 2017.  But, you are right.  I can sell it for what I paid or maybe even more!

I don't know much about the layout of the 150, but we like our 190.  It's like an SUV.  Fish, explore, lay around, rinse it off.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:50:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#5]
I spec’d out a 150 Montauk & went to Skier’s Marine in Chattanooga last Friday (Aug 25). Most of the staff were out due to a big promotion they were having out on the lake and no one was there to sign off on the deal. I headed home expecting to hear from them Saturday or Monday the latest. Nothing, not a peep from them. They’re letting an easy sale fall through the cracks. Today I’m going to Marine Max Lake Norman to talk turkey with them. Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The MarineMax people were very professional and the deal went pretty smooth. There’s a one to three month lead time before my boat gets built. The 150 Montauk is a very popular model and it depends on how many orders are ahead of mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats, curious what motor you put on it?         I love Whalers but like mentioned, it's not a lot of boat for that kind of money.   If I am dropping that much cash on a boat, i better be able to eat, sleep and well take care of business in it.    

All that said, be safe and have fun!

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#9]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
Congrats, curious what motor you put on it?         I love Whalers but like mentioned, it's not a lot of boat for that kind of money.   If I am dropping that much cash on a boat, i better be able to eat, sleep and well take care of business in it.    

All that said, be safe and have fun!

View Quote

Thank you. Unlike most of the other Whalers the 150 Montauk is only offered with one motor, the Mercury 60 hp Command Thrust 4 stroke. That’ll give the boat a top speed of 35 mph or so. More than enough for my purposes. 15’5” sounds small but when you see it in person it’s big enough for two adults and a couple of kids to have a good time fishing on Lake Cherokee.
Yes, it’s expensive but I can afford it. Boats in general have gone up quit a bit. Whaler’s command a premium price but do a lot better at holding their value than other boats.
I’m at an age where my main goal in life is to enjoy spending as much of my heirs inheritance as I can before I check out. I plan on giving it hell in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
15 is a really small boat.  I have a 1993 13’ supersport  for putting around our harbor/river.  I’d get an 18.  One of the old ones with the teak center console.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 3:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#11]
Originally Posted By rbarry3715:
15 is a really small boat.  I have a 1993 13’ supersport  for putting around our harbor/river.  I’d get an 18.  One of the old ones with the teak center console.
View Quote

Opinions vary depending on your perspective. My first boat was a Sears Gamefisher 12 just like the one pictured.Attachment Attached File

Now that was a small boat. My dad and I bought it used around 1970 along with a trailer and a 6 hp Johnson for $225. We mostly launched it at a boat ramp but it was light enough that we could carry it down a bank and set it in the water & then one of us would hand the motor down to the other & clamp it on. We fished the Indian River Lagoon around Ft. Pierce, FL, Lake Okeechobee, and many of the local canals and caught a lot of fish.
Then Dad got the bug to get a bigger boat so we sold the Gamefisher (big mistake) and bought an 18' walk through windshield type boat about a year and a half later that came with a 55 hp Johnson. I went along with it because the Gamefisher didn't give much leg room for two adults. The 18 footer was ok but the first thing we noticed was that it's draft was too deep to go in the shallow water where we caught all the fish. The second thing was the exponential leap in the amount of maintenance it took to keep things ship shape.
The point I'm making here is that the 15 ft. Whaler strikes a nice balance between all of that.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 4:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#12]
I would not look at the 15, mind you it's a very good boat but it gets crowded fast. Lack of storage is also an issue. My 17' runs out of room thee moment I put the wife and four rods in it.

Whatever Whaler you buy, get the rail package and a soft bimini.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]
There’s vertical storage for 8 rods with the configuration that I ordered. A Bimini top may be a later add on but not now. If I get one it’ll be after market, $1800 for the factory installed top is a little steep for what you’re getting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Top Top