Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2024 2:57:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478]
@badredfish asked me for a topic on this so here it is.  Feel free to discuss, talk about your own 22 Creeds, or ask questions.

I've been shooting and hunting with 22 Creed for a couple seasons.  Started off as a Wildcat and recently obtained SAAMI approval.  At a high level it offers slightly better than 22-250 performance, better geometry for feeding in a gas gun, and is more suited to long, heavy for caliber bullets than 22-250.

Pros:

Easy to load for (less than an hour of load development and I had a .33 MOA load for my current rifle)
Cheap to load
Wide bullet selection from ~40gr copper solids all the way up to 95gr AMAX

Cons:

Brass can be hard to find and making 22 Creed brass from 6mm Creed usually requires neck turning
Factory ammo can be hard to find
Barrel burner, with my current carbon barrel I assume $1/rd in barrel wear
With recent SAAMI approval we're just starting to see factory rifles chambered in it

My current load:

Alpha SRP brass.  LOVE this brass
Hornady 75gr ELDM seated .020" off the lands
41gr H4350

This is a fairly mild load for the round but still performs very well and has been 1/2 MOA or better in both my gas gun and current bolt gun.  Loads for each rifle had a different COAL but were both .020" off the lands in each respective barrel.

You will almost certainly need a HP bolt to run this in a gas gun to prevent pierced primers and primer flow.  Gas guns can also have issues with tip damage when feeding.  Small frame ARs offer much better feeding geometry for the round as the AR10 is designed around feeding 308.

Terminal Performance on Coyotes:

Couldn't be happier with the round and this bullet on coyotes.  Shot dozens of them with it and have had exactly 2 that haven't dropped where they stood.  One was a heart shot that managed to run about 20 yards and one was a double lung shot which is on me, not the round.

Overall it offers great performance on coyotes but shot placement still matters!  You have to do your part but it is a little more forgiving than a lower energy round.  It's also nice and flat shooting.  Judging distance at night with thermal can be challenging.  The flatter the round the further your point blank zero is going to be.  I hunt mostly on flat, open ground so a flat shooting round definitely helps.  To date I've taken coyotes from 60 yards to 504 yards with it.

Current rifle:

Terminus Zeus QC action
Preferred Barrel Blanks 22" 1:8 carbon fiber barrel with .080" of freebore
Triggertech Diamond 2 stage flat face trigger
MDT ACC Elite chassis
MDT GRND POD bipod in an RRS ARCA clamp
Energetic Armament Vox S with Plan B and a Rearden Brake
AGM Adder 50-640 thermal in an ADM QD mount
Warrior Tripod with Chief leveling base (most stable tripod and head I've shot off of, RRS Anvil 30 collects dust now)
SiCo Radius LRF, love this thing, even compared to demo scopes with built in LRFs I've ran

Rocking a demo Pulsar XG50 LRF

The End Results:

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a fine setup.

A buddy of mine just put together his .22 Creedmoor, and uses it on both hogs and coyotes.  I have seen videos of him killing 200+ pound hogs at decent distance (130 - 220 yards) with 75 grain bullets.

It is a damned impressive round.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking rig. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bud:
That is a fine setup.

A buddy of mine just put together his .22 Creedmoor, and uses it on both hogs and coyotes.  I have seen videos of him killing 200+ pound hogs at decent distance (130 - 220 yards) with 75 grain bullets.

It is a damned impressive round.
View Quote

Thanks!  

It hammers stuff hard!  I'm hoping to get mine on some hogs at some point.  Missing my buddies annual spring hog hunt due to work this year
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
Nice looking rig. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Thanks and you're welcome!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy that shoots the same matches as me slams coyotes with his 22 creed and 300prc.

Instagram link to this guys kills

This dude has regular 1000 yard shots on yotes.  It’s awesome
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Got any of the new Hornady  VT bullets inbound to make a real screamer of a round?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mban2:

This guy that shoots the same matches as me slams coyotes with his 22 creed and 300prc.

Instagram link to this guys kills

This dude has regular 1000 yard shots on yotes.  It's awesome
View Quote

Already follow him  Awesome shooting for sure!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Got any of the new Hornady  VT bullets inbound to make a real screamer of a round?
View Quote

Not right now.  Honestly probably won't.  Been exceedingly happy with the groups and terminal performance of the 75gr ELDM.  Have some Hammer bullets I'll probably do some load development with to use on hogs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
@Pavelow16478

Seeing your other posting - I knew that you would have an awesome rig...

Thank you for sharing.  

I have all the pieces and parts to reload the 6.5 Grendel.  Just need to finish out the bench and get the press mounted up.

Thinking my next gun will be a 6.5 PRC to replace a 30-06 Ruger M77 that I do not care for....

the 22 Creed is a beast of a round.  Having deer hunted with a 243 for the last ten years - I firmly believe the higher the velocity the better the end result!

Red
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:18:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#11]
Originally Posted By badredfish:

@Pavelow16478

Seeing your other posting - I knew that you would have an awesome rig...

Thank you for sharing.  

I have all the pieces and parts to reload the 6.5 Grendel.  Just need to finish out the bench and get the press mounted up.

Thinking my next gun will be a 6.5 PRC to replace a 30-06 Ruger M77 that I do not care for....

the 22 Creed is a beast of a round.  Having deer hunted with a 243 for the last ten years - I firmly believe the higher the velocity the better the end result!

Red
View Quote

Thanks!  I don't have many guns, but the ones I do have about bankrupted me

6.5 Grendel is pretty easy to load for!  Loaded a bunch of it when I was using it to coyote hunt.  Have hardly touched it since I switched to 22 Creed for chasing puppies.  Last time I shot it I threw that upper on the postie M16 lower for shits and giggles  Going from a 12" 6.5G to a 22 Creed was a night and day difference, from rainbows to laser beams.  Longest kill with the Grendel was 260, most were under 200.  22 Creed (or any flat shooting round) is like hitting the easy button for long range coyotes.  Dropped one at 280 this week, point and shoot.

One of the PRCs is on my want list!

It knocks stuff down hard.  I would have no issues using it on a deer but sadly it's not a deer legal round here.  .243 and up
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
That's an awesome looking setup!  And thanks for insightful analysis of the cartridge.

Tell us your thoughts on the XG50 LRF.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#13]
Originally Posted By bcturkeynut:
That's an awesome looking setup!  And thanks for insightful analysis of the cartridge.

Tell us your thoughts on the XG50 LRF.
View Quote

Thank you and you're welcome!

Overall it's an awesome scope but just wasn't that much better than what I run now to justify the upgrade.  A buddy who was running an 35-640 Adder and no LRF ended up buying it.

Pros:

Awesome form factor.  In my opinion the best form factor on a scope with a built in LRF on the market today.  Can easily  run it on a bolt gun or an AR.
Awesome image as you would expect from Pulsar
Great app, one of the best I've used.  Works all the time, makes firmware updates easy
Ballistic calculator app.  Plug in all your ballistic info, do the setup, take a range and boom aim point is on the screen
They now have a 5 year warranty
Swappable batteries

Cons:

I couldn't get the range finder to range any non-reflective target past 480 yards. Really sucks when myself and my rifle are capable of shooting further than that.
Eats batteries, the APS2 external doesn't last long, especially when it's cold
Batteries are proprietary and expensive.  Just make the damn thing take 18650s
Lot of backlash in the focus knob
Shutter stays closed for a long time when it nucs

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the thorough feedback on the XG50 LRF.
Top Top