Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2024 1:02:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dana]
Thank you guys for tolerating all my stupid quests about my first elk hunt. I successfully harvested a nice cow. I couldn't have done it without my excellent guide and advice i got from everyone.

The first day of hunting started with sighting and some other logistics. We started scouting about noon and started seeing elk around 330pm. Third group of elk we located had about 10 elk in the tree line across a field at about 325 yards. I sighted in on one in the open but they started to move into the trees. A different cow paused in a open spot between the trees at 358 yards. The guide said "if you feel comfortable with it" and i took the shot. I didnt see or hear the impact but felt it was a good shot. The herd started to run and she blended in. But her first step had kind of a "dip" to it and i knew she was hit. They move deeper into the trees but then she turned 180 degrees and the herd left her. Clearly she was hit.
She took a few steps into a opening between two trees and took a rushed 2nd shot just to put her down. She dropped immediately right as i pulled the trigger. I knew the 2nd shot was rushed and even told the guide as soon as i shot. I knew it wasnt great but she was down and stayed.

When we processed her we found the first shot entered right chest and exited left chest and the left front leg. Lung was hit. Liver had a large star shaped "rip" maybe from bone or bullet fragments. Top of hart had some damage that might have been from my shot but could have been done when we dressed her. 1st shot was definitely fatal.

2nd shot was not as good and I am disappointed with my shooting on that one. 2nd round I hit her back leg which dropped her. She never got up. At least she was recovered quickly and didnt run off.

2nd shot bothers me. She was about 50 yards into some trees and was walking at a slow pace. She stepped into a opening between two trees and i saw a quick opportunity to put a 2nd round in her and try to put her down quickly. I know i rushed it.

She dropped immediately as i fired. The guide said it almost looked like she folded forward as i fired. Hard to tell if it was her movement or my error that caused me to hither leg on the second shot. I tend to think i just rushed it but i find it frustrating if it was just my shooting that had me 2 feet of my target.

Regardless first shot was fatal and she move from the spot of the 2nd shot. My first elk hunt was a success and i am going home full coolers. Thank you everyone that helped out.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on a successful hunt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations, and thanks for the awesome summary of your hunt!

Don't sweat the shot placement - as your guide said she very well may have stumbled as you shot. The important thing was to anchor her to the ground and you did your job.

What area did you hunt?

What were your meat processing arrangements and how did you get it home?

Did you save the hide?  If so, Sebring Custom Tanning in Sebring, Florida did a great job tanning my elk hide.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont sweat the second shot. You did good on the first shot. After that you take what you can get and a hit is a win.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a great hunt.  Enjoy the meat over the next year.  As others have said, don't sweat the second shot.  You put a good shot in on the first one and the rest don't matter.  Getting her on the ground is the important part.  

Hope you can put together some more hunts in the future.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent.  We like the girls better for the table.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations! Your first meal with her will tell you why some of us do this. The best and healthiest meat you can get. You did great. Number 1 rule in elk hunting is if they are standing you are shooting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't beat yourself up too much on that second shot I'd take any shot I could get on a wonder animal
Top Top