Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2022 1:40:32 PM EDT
So this has always seemed like a pipe dream, but I’m a long term planner. I would be looking to do something like this in 2024ish- giving myself time to plan.

I like to do my research and find the best bang for my buck- I enjoy primitive camping, hiking, and the experience of hunting vice luring animals to a feeder- so I am willing to forego some unnecessary luxuries that may be available. That being said- I know you get what you pay for, and understand some “budget” options result in illegal hunts, subpar experiences, etc.

I would like to spend anywhere from 5-8 days hunting, 8 being on the longer end. So far, just me, may rope in a friend or some family.

I know budget is a big question here, so I’m looking to keep things under 10k for sure. That’s easily out of my price lane. I would like to target perhaps 3-5k range, but that’s probably unlikely.

What animals I am interested in is something else I would like to discuss- kudu, gemsbok, antelope would be cool, also warthog or leopard.

Any and all advice welcome!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all you aren’t doing a leopard in this price range.

Most reputable PH’s have packages that will accommodate your needs regarding desired animals and days and price range.

You can generally get a 5-7 day package in the $6500 range which will also include the basics you need.

I haven’t really seen “primitive camping” safari. There are a few places that still
Offer tented camps but there are few and far between. Most PH’s offer lodges or private chalets and after a day of hard hunting you will be glad for a hot shower and a soft bed and some done doing to cooking for you.

Also the prices I am giving you is for South Africa. You can do the same in Namibia but you will have overnight costs in Joberg as well as an additional flight cost up to Windhoek will put you over budget.

Flights are all over the place and if you have points it sure helps.

Figure in misc expenses and you should be in the 9k range. You can do it cheaper but sometimes this will get you an PH they will have you shoot immature animals he needs to cull as trophy quality animals.

Keep in mind none of these numbers include taxidermy and shipping.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#2]
The prices you seek to be in will bring you into Namibia or South Africa for plains game. Take leopard off your list, bare trophy fees start at around 10k. That does not include daily rates or baits. You can get a decent mixed bag on a 7 day hunt under 10k but the "everything else" costs are going through the roof. Flights will be $1500 to $2500 depending on months (flying coach to Joburg)  If flying to Windhoek, you may need an over night in Joburg which would be under 200 bucks. Tips should be around 10-20% if the hunt goes well.

The killer cost right now is getting your trophy's home. Dip Pack and Crate will be around $800 for 5 to 6 medium sized game and shipping just capes and skulls will be in the $1000 to $1500 range.

I would say take your actual hunt cost - a 7 day hunt with 5 animals for $5500 and double it. That will be your average cost to get there, hunt, get home with your trophy's shipped to your taxidermist. Taxidermy is another cost after the fact. You will also have a Tax on your daily rates which is 14% in SA

I'm going to Zimbabwe in 2023 for Cape buff, croc and any plains game I can find. Daily rates are $1150 a day for 12 days. Trophy fees for buff and croc are $10500 for both. I plan on shipping here for taxidermy but dip pack and crate + shipment is double that of SA. Flights will be $2500-3k. If things go well tips will be around 3k total . End of the day you can spend 10k very quickly on everything else other then the hunt itself. Good luck in your search, it is well worth the money to go.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
To add, most places offering tent camps will be doing so to add a rustic feel to the hunt , but the price does not go down. Many places with tent camps are in wilderness or safari blocks which will have a heavy price to match. SA will come with luxury accommodations without the luxury cost.

One thing to play close attention to is you do indeed get what you pay for. There is a heavy amount of game farming in SA. You may see some great deal advertised where you can hunt a sable and buff for under 9k. This seems like a great deal but in turn , the animals are stuffed on a small property behind a fence and they may be the only animal of that species there. Its called put and take hunting and there is a lot of it going on. if you want a truly nice hunt ask the outfitter tons of questions like, how large are the properties they hunt and are they continuous. Some will say they have 50k acres but they actually have 10 blocks of 5k acres spread around Limpopo. Namibia's geographics allow for low fenced hunting around private lands, so you wont run into as much of the game farming as SA. Just do your research
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a little low fence hunting in SA but not a lot. There is a PH in the Karoo area of SA, Jukes if the Karoo, who hunts about 140k acres he mostly owns that is cattle fenced o LT and the animals don’t even notice.

I hunted with him in 2011 and it was an amazing time. While his specialty is the “Springbok Slam” which is what I was there for he also has a lot of other game available including Mountain Zebra and Gemsbok. I took a very nice 40.5” Gemsbok as well as the slam.
Another PH I have hunted with and trust is Infinito Safaris. Charl the owner takes great care of his clients and also has his own taxidermy operation so you save on some fees there. Souther Cross safaris I k ow by reputation as friends have hunted with them and are highly recommended.

Top Top