Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2023 9:01:18 PM EDT
Anybody hunting hogs with a suppressed subsonic .300BLK? Where are you zeroing your rifle? I have seen several zero distances suggested, a 15 yard, a 50 yard, and a 100 yard. Obviously the 15 and 50 yard work good for close shots. It seems the 100 yard may have the best margin of error when it comes to making shots at what I would consider typical hog range, maybe 70-120 yards.
Obviously for an HD rifle a 10-15 yard zero may be best. It seems that zero mirrors more closely to the 100 yard zero than the 50. I’m just looking for input on what may be the best all around zero for HD as well as hunting. School me. I’m not claiming anything. It’s just what I’ve been reading.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Zero at the distance you expect to see the hogs. Then test with a large piece of cardboard and shoot at the various distances you think you might want info for . Go to the target with spray paint mark the groups then return to the distances you shot from .
Make notes on how the marks in your scope correspond to the paint groups and note the difference between different magnifications if you have a second focal plane scope. First focal plane the mil dots are always 1 mil apart and the reticle appears to grow larger at higher power. The second focal plane scopes reticle appears to always be the same size but at low power field of view is wide and at high power field of view is more narrow. That means ballistic reticle marks represent something different at every power. So make notes
Say. 3x  50 yds  ____
        3x 75 yds ______
        3x 100 yds. ZERO
         3x 125 yds _____

6x. 50yds ____
           6x  75 yds _____
            6x. 100 yds. ZERO
            6x.  125 yds. ___

9X    Etc

Draw the reticle mark where the hold is for each magnification you might use. Most ballistic reticles give info for max power but people dial down as it gets dark and shoot over the target.
This works for any caliber and you can make notes for any load you might choose. Tape the needed info to the stock.

Zero is always the same at any power - with the same ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot them in the head or have fun losing them all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bud] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to zero for supers and note the drop for subs.  Every rifle is a bit different.  I zero supers at about 150yds and then verify drops for supers and subs at 50 and 100...since these are the usual distances I shoot pigs at.  Then I print something like this and put it on the rifle's stock or inside the scope cap.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
I like to zero for supers and note the drop for subs.  Every rifle is a bit different.  I zero supers at about 150yds and then verify drops for supers and subs at 50 and 100...since these are the usual distances I shoot pigs at.  Then I print something like this and put it on the rifle's stock or inside the scope cap.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/1_JPG-3068895.JPG
View Quote

Good info. Thank you
Top Top