Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2024 2:10:50 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have a lot of gear and I'm currently storing it all in 2 big totes .  Was looking for any better/ streamlined ways to store my stuff. How do you guys do It?   Or is my way the best ?  

I have everything from tents, packs, canteen cups, filters , dried meals, spoons and pocket stoves ,  bug spray , fire kits and all the other misc stuff big and small .
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Got some camping gear on shelves in my reloading room, and more stacked/shelved in my sheds.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Great timing.  I too am looking at re-doing my camping gear storage.  I am using a few large plastic storage totes also, some with locking lids, some without, different sizes, all annoying and feel like they will break way too easily.  I decided to start researching better options.  I saw a few articles on using Milwaukee Packout modular tool boxes, which looked interesting.  I then found a few good videos on Youtube going through various brands and models and comparisons.  A few good videos on how others had done their storage and organization.

I started with kitchen stuff today.  I wanted to keep that all separate and in it's own clean container.  I had a Home Depot gift card so I went down today and looked at the modular tool storage boxes.  I ended up with a Large and Medium Milwaukee Packout toolboxes that .  Way more money than I wanted to spend, but they are pretty nice.  Working on getting stuff organized in there now, and the sizes look like they will work very well for me and my gear.

Next up is larger containers for other gear, but I still need to do some research on those.  They look even more pricey  My wallet!

Also interested in other replies.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:
Got some camping gear on shelves in my reloading room, and more stacked/shelved in my sheds.
View Quote

Ahh, when things are unpacked I have a few of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0735CKFJK?tag=arfcom00-20

I keep things separated and organized by cube.  They've been really handy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
For now I repurposed one closet for clothing. A lot of backpacking food lives in totes, as does miscellaneous hiking gear.
When enough of the leftover inventory from my old FFL business eventually goes away that space is going to turn into my camping gear area
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Down sleeping bags and clothing go in large totes so they’re uncompressed. Tents go in totes as well. I got a chest of drawers that someone was getting rid of and have cooking/water gear in one drawer, winter gear (spikes, crampons, goggles, etc) in another, hats & glove in a 3rd, etc. Folded sleeping pads go in totes with sleeping bags. I just ordered more totes because I bought a new sleeping bag that needs a home and some other stuff is spread all over the place. Most are Sterilite but I have 2 big Rubbermaid totes (about 40 gallon) that my 0F and -25F Feathered Friends sleeping bags are in. The 0F NEMO is less lofty and fits well in a 28 gallon Sterilite. Packs are on coat hooks. Snowshoes and trekking poles hang on dowels drilled into 2x4s. I’m nowhere near as organized as I need to be, once I finish work in my spare room I’m building a large gear closet for most of my stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a mess.

Most things are stored in a number of TNF duffels: rock climbing hardware in one, ice climbing in another, car camping in another, backpacking tents/pads/etc in yet another, etc.  Backpacks are empty, and spooned together to avoid compressing the waist belts; some smaller climbing and day packs stuffed inside of others like Russian dolls.  Sleeping bags in their OEM cotton storage bags.

Puffies and shells hanging in the closet.

Food and car camp cooking stuff in two Plano Sportsman boxes.  With another 4 Sportsman boxes in the storm shelter that are filled with duplicative meals - as I eat through the stuff on hand, I pull stuff out of the storm shelter cache, and then backfill.

And a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff on the closet floor. This is what really needs to get sorted out.  

The TNF duffels are piled up in a corner of a room, next to a stack of ropes and a pile of boots.

The really important thing is that this stuff is all kept in the climate controlled portion of the house, and anything that begins to have the slightest whiff of PU degradation goes into quarantine until it can be addressed with vinegar/baking soda/etc - I swear the degradation mechanism ism, in part, biological, and it will spread like cancer if it isn't addressed properly.  
Top Top