Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2023 8:57:11 PM EDT
What is your go to spread?

Mine is bluewing hens(x mark) and a combination of painted Flambous with Green Head gear. (All hens)
Throw in some Wing Thing spinners,  about 6.
24 total in the spread.

This is kayak hunting with a 500 20ga,  loaded with #4 Black clouds close range .

I haven't hunted Teal out of a regular blind in 15 years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually use whatever I would use for the particular area . No special Teal spread .
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Last fall i hunted the early teal season in MN.  
6 hen mallard floaters and 2 spinners.  2 passes by the same flock and 5 shots I had my limit.
2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #6 steel.

We don't get a teal only season here in SD, but we get to add two bonus bluewing teal to our daily limit for the first two weeks of the general waterfowl season.  Most opening weekends the majority of our limits are BWT, with some mallards and pintails mixed in.

Drove through the area I do a lot of duck hunting here in SD, teal are really starting to get grouped up, I'm sure many males are already moving out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Ging in the morning, second day of early Teal here. 1 dozen decoys and 3 Mojo spinners. There have been about 20 Blue Wing here. This front should push some more in. I predict about 8 teal tomorrow morning for two hunters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Teal aren't very picky with decoys and I've had success with a mix of many species of decoys.  That being said my favorite spread is a dozen or two teal along with a dozen coots and maybe a few of the bigger "brown" ducks (wigeon, gadwall, mallard/pintail  hens etc) for some extra visibility. They also love mojos during teal season. For some reason it seems like every time I see BWT on the water near the TX coast there will be coots in there with them. Coots won't hang around if anything is iffy, so I think ducks see them as a sign of safety.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
We just hunt them over a typical mallard spread with a couple dozen dekes in a J or V depending on the wind.   The bigger decoys are a bit more visible and for us anyway the first light shoots are the best anyway where it matters less about the species of decoys and more about the contrast with the water.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
We got a three man limit this afternoon. All blues.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice work Jim!   Waiting for the dinner pics now.  :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, my best real days were six or less mallard decoys, with MAYBE one or two real decoys.

During our early season for real, there are usually only a few resident mallards and wood ducks around.

Big spreads seemed out of place to those little blue and green rockets!!
Top Top