Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2023 8:13:15 PM EDT
I have a 39 ft. Keystone Alpine toy hauler.  Previously, I towed it with a long bed truck as a 5th wheel.  Zero problems.

Now I am towing it with a goose neck conversion with a standard bed pickup.   SOMETIMES when  I am going above 60 mph, my pickup starts rocking side to side, sometimes pretty radically.

All tire pressures are correct, hitch is secure and correct.  Any thoughts on the cause or cure?  Or is it just the nature of the beast?

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
We’re both trucks completely stock?

Interesting problem. I have heard of trucks porpoising(sp?), but not rocking side to side.

The gooseneck may play a role, but I don’t know enough about it to diagnose

Good luck. Having towing being unnecessarily more difficult would be unacceptable
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
IDK the answer, but that is a big ass trailer.  Seems like 1 ton+ territory.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve never towed a trailer that long or that heavy nor used a gooseneck hitch. But it seems if the trailer started to fishtail then the pressure on the gooseneck could cause the truck to rock from side to side. Or so it seems.

Any changes to loading/weight distribution on the trailer?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:09:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NJTac] [#4]
I have a 37’ Alpine, Chevy 3500 drw, B&W companion 25k hitch, it’s a solid ride. Do you know anyone with another HD truck that can pull your camper to see if it’s the truck or the trailer? What model truck are you towing with? Is the camper level when hitched or nose high? Are you running the stock Hispec tires? 110psi?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dusty3030] [#5]
The shorter wheelbase of the tow vehicle = more sway.
Sway is influenced by the center of gravity of trailer over its axles. I don’t know squat about the hitch being advertised but video below is a great demonstration.

Tongue Weight Safety Demonstration

In your situation you have a long trailer that is also a toy hauler so its cargo area is behind its axles. You now have a shorter wheelbase vehicle to tow it. The longer the wheelbase of the tow vehicle the less the influence the trailer has on it. You might can adjust your tongue weight (aka pin weight in your case) but might not be able to get enough to stop the sway. Being a fifth wheel/ gooseneck helps since it moves the hitch point forward but they still can sway.

Sway is dangerous if you ever break traction of your truck’s rear axle you’ll jackknife and the trailer will tend to roll your truck as it tries to pass you.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I may have missed this, but single rear wheel or dual?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.  The problem is solved.  I had a rear tire on the truck that was out of round due to a belt separation. It completely failed as I was pulling into a dealership.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you found it!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Thanks everyone.  The problem is solved.  I had a rear tire on the truck that was out of round due to a belt separation. It completely failed as I was pulling into a dealership.
View Quote

Was going to type check the tires. we've had many people with tires that held consistent pressure but had broken cords.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
View Quote

Glad you found that pulling into the dealership vs 60mph with a 39' trailer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:39:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oakley] [#11]
Originally Posted By FDC:

Glad you found that pulling into the dealership vs 60mph with a 39' trailer.
View Quote

Absolutely!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not on the tow vehicle, but on the trailer.
Top Top