Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2021 2:01:34 PM EDT
My two best friends and I have booked our first hunting trip to Argentina in 2023 for red stag. Now we are looking ahead to Newfoundland/Labrador, South Africa and maybe Mongolia.

I’ve been looking at rules and regs for taking my own firearms. The outfitter in Argentina suggested using their rifles instead of bringing our own which I think I’m going to go with since it’s our first trip out of the country.

In the US I hunt with my ARs and use a suppressor most of the time. My only bolt gun is a sig cross.

I do a good bit of long range shooting and would like to get a rifle that I can take to other countries legally with little hassle. I’ve pretty much settled on 300prc for the cartridge but I’m not sure on the rifle itself. I’m leaning towards a seekins precision Havak Element. This rifle takes a detachable mag and has a threaded barrel, would those two features be problematic in any countries that any of you are aware of? Specifically the ones I’ve mentioned but any others where it would be a go or no go would be welcome info as well.

Also if you have taken your firearms to Argentina please chime in as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve gone to Namibia via RSA with a bolt action but I know the rules vary by country. That said for ease of travel the best international hunting rifle is probably the Blaser R8. Anything that can fit in a case that’s not obviously a gun case is good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I’ve gone to Namibia via RSA with a bolt action but I know the rules vary by country. That said for ease of travel the best international hunting rifle is probably the Blaser R8. Anything that can fit in a case that’s not obviously a gun case is good.
View Quote

I was able to find the seekins for sale at a couple Canadian retailers so I’m pretty confident I’ll be good to go there with that rifle. I’ll take a look at the Blaser, I know it’s a take down rifle but you have to go through customs either way so I assume the look of the case has more to do with the locals?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#3]
You won't be able to  bring an AR into Canada...
I haven't even been able to take mine out of my house since May 1st 2020.

No suppressors either.

Pretty much any bolt gun is easy peasy though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SoVa:  My two best friends and I have booked our first hunting trip to Argentina in 2023 for red stag. Now we are looking ahead to Newfoundland/Labrador, South Africa and maybe Mongolia.

I’ve been looking at rules and regs for taking my own firearms. The outfitter in Argentina suggested using their rifles instead of bringing our own which I think I’m going to go with since it’s our first trip out of the country.

In the US I hunt with my ARs and use a suppressor most of the time. My only bolt gun is a sig cross.

I do a good bit of long range shooting and would like to get a rifle that I can take to other countries legally with little hassle. I’ve pretty much settled on 300prc for the cartridge but I’m not sure on the rifle itself. I’m leaning towards a seekins precision Havak Element. This rifle takes a detachable mag and has a threaded barrel, would those two features be problematic in any countries that any of you are aware of? Specifically the ones I’ve mentioned but any others where it would be a go or no go would be welcome info as well.

Also if you have taken your firearms to Argentina please chime in as well.
View Quote

Traveling w/ ammo seemingly adds additional complexity as well.  If the rifle gets through but the ammo doesn't & you can't buy any locally, .300 PRC might not be ideal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SoVa:

I was able to find the seekins for sale at a couple Canadian retailers so I’m pretty confident I’ll be good to go there with that rifle. I’ll take a look at the Blaser, I know it’s a take down rifle but you have to go through customs either way so I assume the look of the case has more to do with the locals?
View Quote

Baggage handlers in the third world have sticky fingers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Traveling w/ ammo seemingly adds additional complexity as well.  If the rifle gets through but the ammo doesn't & you can't buy any locally, .300 PRC might not be ideal.
View Quote

Ammo isn’t so bad cause the box it’s locked in can go in regular luggage.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Might be good to check this out: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-advises-hunters-planning-international-travel
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
You won't be able to  bring an AR into Canada...
I haven't even been able to take mine out of my house since May 1st 2020.

No suppressors either.

Pretty much any bolt gun is easy peasy though.
View Quote

Yea I knew the ARs and cans would be a no go that’s why I’m bolt gun shopping, I just want to avoid buying a bolt gun that’s a no go as well
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By helmet91:
Might be good to check this out: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-advises-hunters-planning-international-travel
View Quote

I had seen that before coming here, unfortunately it leaves me with as many questions as answers. Hopefully the guide outfit will have some experience with all of this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I always take my rifles to RSA.

No international layovers if possible, but if you must, Frankfurt has always been easy.
I have also been told Quatar airways is gtg.

Be careful with the Lufthansa flights, they sometimes swap you to a United flight, and United are fucking incompetent.
Top Top