Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2024 1:16:40 PM EDT
Turkey opens in 5 days. Here is a white hen on one of our properties. Spring season is Tom’s only so she is safe. She would make an interesting mount
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting!

Our starts Saturday and I am looking forward to it.  Saw a bearded hen last year.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
We opened yesterday

And, 32 minutes into the season, I punched his tag.

Turkey_FS 2024-04-12 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
NC checking in.

Opener went well in the creek bottom.  Thirty minutes back and forth calling and ghosting from him and me.

Stepped out of heavy heavy brush at 35 yards standing straight.  Into strut at 25 yards.  Moved to 20 yards got cautious went behind tree, got gun up, head came around tree strutting…tag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
No gobbliing for three days and then I had eight birds around me yesterday.  Finally got this one to come in here in KY.  Guess what I am having for dinner tonight?  

Good hunting everyone......

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
One down during the Mo Youth Season. Regular season opened Monday, hopefully we add more to the freezer!!!
Here’s a video and pic! Error on pics, oh well.

https://youtu.be/eJ1WGwzMF-s?feature=shared

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys will appreciate this…

Gobbler In The Yard by FredMan, on Flickr

Strut 20170403 by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey SBS 2024-04-13 by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey On The Grill by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey On The Table by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
We opened yesterday

And, 32 minutes into the season, I punched his tag.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53654218108_14e31eaec0_h.jpgTurkey_FS 2024-04-12 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice! Congratulations!

We have bird on the property just haven’t gone after them yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:35:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Opening morning last Saturday I scored. My brother, who was hunting nearby scored a couple hours later. Great start!

Had fried turkey nuggets Saturday night. Sous vide Sunday night and tacos from the slow cooked dark meat last night.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By defenderhome:
Opening morning last Saturday I scored. My brother, who was hunting nearby scored a couple hours later. Great start!

Had fried turkey nuggets Saturday night. Sous vide Sunday night and tacos from the slow cooked dark meat last night.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80996/IMG_2339-3191022.jpg
View Quote

Awesome!

Nothing like an opening day bird.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what I’ve been eating this week…

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
These meal pics are making me want to kill one. My last bird, an old Tom, had breasts that were like jello. Not even edible.

Thanks for posting them. Maybe I’ll just go find a Jake…
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Just pulled these off one of my trail cameras.  We start in a few weeks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Guess what?  7:15 this morning.

Turkey_FS_SBS 2024-04-21 by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey_SBS 2024-04-21 by FredMan, on Flickr

Spurs 2024-04-21 by FredMan, on Flickr

19 lbs 4 oz
10-5/8" beard
Right spur 1-5/16"
Left spur 7/8"

The trusty Benelli M2 SBS (12.75").  20 guage.  Fed Mag Shock 3", 1-5/16 oz No. 5 copperplated.

20 yards.

Kills turkeys DEAD!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quick writeup

Get out at 5:45, go to stand below the paddock.  Heard one distant gobble 6:05 way the hell off to my southwest, below DeeDees house.  6:30 say fuckit and head up towards the house, waking the path when he gobbles.  Definitely below DeeDees, and probably huntable.  Creep through cedar field and set up on edge of hardwood.  6:45 flydown, he gobbles once or twice on the ground, getting closer.  Now he's below me over the rise of the hill. Still moving clockwise.  I finally see his fan through the bushes about 50 yards out.  Still circling to my right.  I shift when he goes behind brush pile, he's now at my 12:00, and continuing to strut and rum in a circle centered on me, 40-50 yards out.  Way he's moving, going to be a bad shooting position.  He's at my 3:00 now, and I'm watching out of the corner of my eye.  He's coming in  through the cedars, fanned out, drumming, and it's decision time.  I decide on a gap in the cedars, and if he walks into that gap I'll swing around and shoot.  Now he's headed right in to me, head tucked in half strut, and it's now or never.  He takes that last step, I swing about 135 degrees, shoot, and he's down right there.  1-2 twitches, but no flopping.  7:15 am.  2-0!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FiremanBrad:
One down during the Mo Youth Season. Regular season opened Monday, hopefully we add more to the freezer!!!
Here’s a video and pic! Error on pics, oh well.

https://youtu.be/eJ1WGwzMF-s?feature=shared

View Quote

He showed great patience! Nice bird, congratulations.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice to be there even if it doesn’t work out
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmtsc] [#21]
Got one this morning at 7:00. Had 3 gobblers gobbling like crazy from all different directions. The one I initially was trying for continually gobbled for 30 minutes. My calling seemed to upset a hen who was back and forth in front of me and behind me, she was being crazy vocal. The initial gobbler who was probably 400+ yards away when I set up never came totally in, say 75 yards close. The one behind me seemed to stop at me neighbors field and would gobble about every 7 minutes. The one I shot had to be 600 yards away when he first gobbled. My wife at the house saw it come across the road, through the field, by the house and head up in the woods towards me. He came to the edge of the small clearing, looked around for a few and puffed up(I guess because of my decoy). Finally came out of the brush, puffed up again and I shot him at 42 yards, bang flop. I was scared he would go after the other hen who was to my right down in the woods, so I shot quickly.

20 lbs 9 oz
9.5” beard
Spurs 1” and 1 1/16”
Benelli SBE 2 24” with turkey choke
Winchester Supreme 12 ga 3” #5 Turkey loads, out of production now
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dmtsc:
Got one this morning at 7:00. Had 3 gobblers gobbling like crazy from all different directions. The one I initially was trying for continually gobbled for 30 minutes. My calling seemed to upset a hen who was back and forth in front of me and behind me, she was being crazy vocal. The initial gobbler who was probably 400+ yards away when I set up never came totally in, say 75 yards close. The one behind me seemed to stop at me neighbors field and would gobble about every 7 minutes. The one I shot had to be 600 yards away when he first gobbled. My wife at the house saw it come across the road, through the field, by the house and head up in the woods towards me. He came to the edge of the small clearing, looked around for a few and puffed up(I guess because of my decoy). Finally came out of the brush, puffed up again and I shot him at 42 yards, bang flop. I was scared he would go after the other hen who was to my right down in the woods, so I shot quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/qtqC9Ss.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/qg6COeE.jpeg

20 lbs 9 oz
9.5” beard
Spurs 1” and 1 1/16”
View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dmtsc:

https://i.imgur.com/qtqC9Ss.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/qg6COeE.jpeg

20 lbs 9 oz
9.5” beard
Spurs 1” and 1 1/16”
Winchester Supreme 12 ga 3” #5 Turkey loads, out of production now
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Had 2 within spitting distance yesterday, but were behind me.  This morning all the toms went out the other way except this one, he gobbled at me until about 7:30 and then shut up.  Dead at 8:10  20.4#, 7/8 spurs and 7 1/4 beard, 2 year old  

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#25]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
Had 2 within spitting distance yesterday, but were behind me.  This morning all the toms went out the other way except this one, he gobbled at me until about 7:30 and then shut up.  Dead at 8:10  20.4#, 7/8 spurs and 7 1/4 beard, 2 year old  

https://i.imgur.com/FJXdHKv.jpg

View Quote

I have had them come to the blind and crane their neck to see in it. One did that and went to full strut as he walked around the blind. He was rubbing against it. I had to resist arrowing him through the blind. He went behind the blind so I opened the rear window and arrowed him @ 15 yards.

Turkey are so dumb they can drown looking up in the rain. But their eyes are hard to beat!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

I have had them come to the blind and crane their neck to see in it. One did that and went to full strut as he walked around the blind. He was rubbing against it. I had to resist arrowing him through the blind. He went behind the blind so I opened the rear window and arrowed him @ 15 yards.

Turkey are so dumb they can drown looking up in the rain. But their eyes are hard to beat!
View Quote

I’ve heard that for years but have never seen any verifiable evidence.

Makes a good story.

And turkeys may not be smart, but they’re not dumb, either.

What they are is WILY, with not one molecule of curiosity.

A deer sees something odd, and they’re all craning their necks around trying to figure it out. Tom?  “Oh look at the time!  I’m late for an appointment in the next county!”

I’ve  also seen turkeys walk behind a bush and literally VANISH. Like they found an inter dimensional vortex.

Of course, I’ve also seem do some seriously things, like the time I watched a hen strutting and wing-slapping other hens. Or a Jake literally put a stomping on a decoy. I mean, I’m sure they had what they thought were good reasons, but they make no sense to me.

I shot a gobbler once in the middle of a wide open field. The only things that were in the field were him, my decoy, and me hiding behind a tiny cedar bush about 3 feet tall.

This bird flew down and over 20 minutes strutted in about 100 yards  on my decoy. I’m hiding behind this bush, resting my gun on a branch. I’m so excited that the bush is literally shaking from me shaking, but that bird was so sure he was gonna get some sweet sweet lovin that he came right on in, until I couldn’t take it anymore and laid him out at 42 yards.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#27]
One Tom I arrowed was in a big group. When it when down thee rest of the group attacked it. We are talking 2-3 at a time trying to kick its ass.

I love turkey calling and their antics!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#28]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
One Tom I arrowed was in a big group. When it when down thee rest of the group attacked it. We are talking 2-3 at a time trying to kick its ass.

I love turkey calling and their antics!
View Quote

I had three come in in a bunch a few years ago.

Shot the guy in the middle.

Guy on right said “I’m outta here!”

Guy on left stood there watching me run up, watching his buddy flop, watching me run up, watching his buddy flop until I was about 5 feet away. Then he took off.

Sometimes they’re idiots, sometimes they’re enforcers, sometimes they’re automata.

Watched a Jake gobble once. He got this surprised look on his face like “who did that!?  Did I do that?!”
Link Posted: Today 1:38:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: va_gunz] [#29]
I tagged out in VA this season. How do you post IMGUR links where the picture just shows up in the thread instead of the links?

https://i.imgur.com/dKlz6NU.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/eGxSwnI.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/TlJoz8g.jpeg
Top Top