Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2023 9:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My gun will be the Ruger SBL when they become available.  I picked up a Leupold VX-2 1.5-4 x28 scout scope.  The reason being is that with QD rings I still maintain the ability to use the peep sight, and the fact that most of my hunting is done in fairly thick woods where 4 power is an adequate magnification.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:06:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#2]
I doubt $100 glass will be better than your Leupold on 2x or so at dusk.  

Fixed 4x perhaps ?

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shotar:

The Burris 4.5-14 I have is on par with the Leupold and very well built.  My real question is about the SIG.  It seems to get good reviews but I've no idea if those reviewers know anything about glass.
View Quote
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for in optics. Clarity, distortion, robustness, repeatability, and twilight performance.

Most any scope is fine most of the day. You are paying for performance those first and last 15 minutes of shooting time. I seriously doubt a $90 scope will deliver that.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Leupold 1.5-5X on my Guide Gun that allows for the occasional 200 yard shot and is fairly bright at dusk.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
No flames intended here.  You asked for advice, and I mean well....  You have a problem... You want a decent scope, with good resolution.  However, you want it for next to no money.  Its kind of like 'I want a really good car, maybe a Porsche.  I've got $3,500".

There isn't a $130 scope on the market that is going to offer good low light transmission and resolution.  Upping the magnification isn't going to help you, not if its a cheap scope...

I've been hunting woods and swamp and fields since 1994 with a Leupold Vari-X III, in 1.75-6x.  By todays standards this isn't a great scope, but it was damned good when I bought it.  My Black powder wears a 1.5-5x Weaver Grandslam.   My old moose rifle wore a 1.5-6x Busnhell Elite 4500.  You dont need a $1000 scope, and you dont need a high magnification.  You do need a modestly decent quality scope, that has good glass, and good antireflective coatings.

I've got some higher end Leupolds, like VX6.  They are amazing, but its not really necessary.  If you want a good starting point, try a Leupold VX3.  Its going to set you back about $350...  There are others, but "decent scopes really do start at about $300, regardless of brand.  If that's simply too much (I understand budgets, trust me), then I really recommend you dont bother.  Any $130, 150 scope is going to be a similar disappointment.

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
No flames intended here.  You asked for advice, and I mean well....  You have a problem... You want a decent scope, with good resolution.  However, you want it for next to no money.  Its kind of like 'I want a really good car, maybe a Porsche.  I've got $3,500".

There isn't a $130 scope on the market that is going to offer good low light transmission and resolution.  Upping the magnification isn't going to help you, not if its a cheap scope...

I've been hunting woods and swamp and fields since 1994 with a Leupold Vari-X III, in 1.75-6x.  By todays standards this isn't a great scope, but it was damned good when I bought it.  My Black powder wears a 1.5-5x Weaver Grand Slam.   My old moose rifle wore a 1.5-6x Busnhell Elite 4500.  You dont need a $1000 scope, and you dont need a high magnification.  You do need a modestly decent quality scope, that has good glass, and good antireflective coatings.

I've got some higher end Leupolds, like VX6.  They are amazing, but its not really necessary.  If you want a good starting point, try a Leupold VX3.  Its going to set you back about $350...  There are others, but "decent scopes really do start at about $300, regardless of brand.  If that's simply too much (I understand budgets, trust me), then I really recommend you don't bother.  Any $130, 150 scope is going to be a similar disappointment.

View Quote

#7 is the winner. Great Advise. Money Spent on glass is money well spent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
If you plan to put more than a few shots down range each year I doubt a $90 scope is going to cut it.   A modern load is pretty stout.   A VX Freedom is about as budget I’d go.

Personally I like a Aimpoint
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an old Nikon Monarch African 1-4x on my 45-70.  It seems to be just right and I haven't found myself wishing for more power.  It's very compact too, doesn't feel over sized for the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I run an older Leupold muzzleloader/shotgun scope. It’s 2-7 and the 20 gauge slug BDC matches my hand loads closely.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
My Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 wears the same Luepold Vari X-III 1.75-6 as my heavy African rifles. I have never found it wanting on any game.

Frozenny hit your problem on the head in his post above.

Stop acting like a poor and pony up for a decent scope for that rifle!

I have a Sauer 200 in 30-06 I aquired
In 93 or 94. It came with a Swarovski 3-9x33 scope on it. It is not the best light gathering scope compared to more modern glass. I have killed a lot of game with it over the years. It’s been to Africa and taken a lot of plains game there from Kudu and Gemsbuck down to warthogs and Springbok. It’s taken well over 40 deer and many many elk. I’ve only had to put finishers into 4 animals that I can recall. Are 3 Whitetails in MO and a White Springbuck in the Karoo area of South Africa.

None of these were because I couldn’t see. I simply refuse to take a shot in insufficient light. My hunting partner hunts with some serious high end glass and take a shot right at either end of legal hunting hours. My scope costs me 7-10 minutes of shooting light on both ends.

That scope has never failed me and despite its poor light gathering capabilities compared to other glass it will ride that rifle till I die.

Keep an eye on Midway as they often blow out good scopes at lower prices.

I would be looking for something lower power but with a 30mm tube. That should give you a little
More Light gathering capability while giving you a scope that is about ideal for the caliber.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate your condescension.

I’ll think of you next year while I’m I. Africa and you’re at home being a poor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s what poors do.

They never thing big nor reach for the stars.

My 4th safari who’ll be more deliscious than the one you will never take.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#18]
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I will

And you enjoy wishing you were me.

You’ll never live the dream?

New money? Nope just a regular guy who managed to do well and avoid vices, divorces, and child support.

I simply shooed not to live a boring life and I can’t take it with me in the end.

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#21]
That’s ok by me.

I don’t associate with your ilk nor your sister cousins.

Enjoy you life.

I’m off to the range to zero a new Swarovski.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:44:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#22]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Why would I act like a poor and need to shoot others class 3?  I’ll just shoot my own.

A poor like you only gets to live that through the generosity of others. You know the ones who didn’t marry their cousins.

I get invited to plenty of stuff.

I just don’t line you because you are a whiney cunt.

I am sure you have plenty of things to do today down in the holler with Uncle Daddy and Sister Cousin.

Me? I’m at the range enjoying my life and knowing you’ll never be anything but a poor. Which since your hillbilly ass can’t comprehend isn’t about income but is about mindset.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 4:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FritzTKatt] [#25]
Did you buy the Burris? ETA: just don’t bring it to the yacht club and you’ll be fine.

I think I would have stuck with Leupold, just upgraded from the Freedom series (which I do love mine for small game).
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Ah, I see. I think I shall change my screen name to blueblood hillbilly.  I like hillbillies. Generally good people who know how to get stuff done.

Unlike some, their pomposity seldom precedes them. Some of us likely consider you a poor, but are too polite to say so.

Anyway, spring break next week, I'll check back when we return from steamboat. Taking the grandkids for spring skiing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
Why would I act like a poor and need to shoot others class 3?  I’ll just shoot my own.

A poor like you only gets to live that through the generosity of others. You know the ones who didn’t marry their cousins.

I get invited to plenty of stuff.

I just don’t line you because you are a whiney cunt.

I am sure you have plenty of things to do today down in the holler with Uncle Daddy and Sister Cousin.

Me? I’m at the range enjoying my life and knowing you’ll never be anything but a poor. Which since your hillbilly ass can’t comprehend isn’t about income but is about mindset.

Ah, I see. I think I shall change my screen name to blueblood hillbilly.  I like hillbillies. Generally good people who know how to get stuff done.

Unlike some, their pomposity seldom precedes them. Some of us likely consider you a poor, but are too polite to say so.

Anyway, spring break next week, I'll check back when we return from steamboat. Taking the grandkids for spring skiing.

For the love of god take I-79 instead of I-80.

Iowa isn’t bad but western Kansas beats the hell out of western Nebraska.

Also less chance of crap weather this time of year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an older Nikon prostaff 4-12x40 on my Marlin, and a 3-9 on my henry. I wasn’t too worried about those, as most shots are within 100yds. Drops them every time. On my 308 which I use when I hunt fields, I switched to a 30mm tube, with a 42mm obj. If you’re concerned with low light, I’d definitely consider getting a 30mm tube. There’s a big difference between that and a 1in tube.

Just food for thought. I’m trying to stay on topic and not go off on the whole “optic should be worth more than the gun” thing. You’d be fine with a $150-300 scope for a 45/70. Just make sure it’s a good brand and can hold up to that big recoil.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Not what I expected when I clicked on it……

Shotar-

Get a leupold LE account and put a 2-7 on that gun. Anything bigger looks terrible! Plus you will be pleasantly surprised at the price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Is the Sig Buckmaster 3-9x new? I'll much rather prefer it. Saw one couple years ago.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:05:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#36]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:57:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#37]
Top Top