Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2023 4:16:14 PM EDT
I'm looking to up my tripod game a bit, both for my spotter and to get into shooting with a tripod.  My current spotter is  Vortex Viper 20-60, which I use with a cheap Vortex tripod.  I forget the model, but it's pretty wobbly, almost to the point of being useless if the legs are extended at all, so that needs to go.  I don't want to spend RRS money but I'd like to get a solid, versatile setup.  I want two tripods so I can use the spotter and rifle on them simultaneously.  For versatility, I'm planning on using Arca on both.  I have a tentative plan and am looking for feedback.

Tripod 1:  Innorel KT404C with 52mm ball head.  This would primarily be used with rifles.  It will mostly be a range toy, but it could be used for travel, so the fact that it will fit in a suitcase with the ball head attached is a plus.  I don't currently have Arca rail on any rifles, so I'd be using a clamp.  My main use for now would be lightweight hunting bolt guns and various AR's, but I'm sure at some point I'll want to use it with a heavy pig of a precision rifle.  I'd like the clamp to attach to the ball head using an Arca mount though so that I can switch easily when I inevitably start adding Arca rails to some rifles.  It may occasionally be used for the spotter if I'm using tripod 2 with a rifle.  Links below:

Tripod 1:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJYZ5JH6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2QOSVT3IPF0T6&psc=1

Clamp:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083CDQRS9/ref=ewc_pr_img_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Tripod 2:  Manbily Tripod Shooting Stick.  This one pulls double duty as a significantly lighter weight tripod shooting stick and spotter tripod.  As a shooting stick, it will definitely be getting some travel time since it will be lighter and quicker to set up than the Innorel, at the expense of precision.  Think African plains game, so I don't have to use whatever three sticks they tied together with an innertube.  When I'm not pretending to be Peter Hathaway Capstick, it would be used for the spotter with a fluid head.  More links:

Tripod 2:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLC1LM97/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A7IGUC6QR3J9Y&psc=1

Fluid Head:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1N4KP2K/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2KGFGICLHFO62&psc=1

Does anyone have experience with these items, or feedback on this plan in general?  Are these good quality products?  I've heard Innoral recommended here before and of course Bog is ubiquitous.  I know nothing about Manbily or Leifrotto, and not much more about tripods in general.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
TNVC or Nightgoogles  

This grip.  Kopfjager Reaper

Can clamp a scope or rifle.  

Or go with these.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rrbgeb:
TNVC or Nightgoogles  

This grip.  Kopfjager Reaper

Can clamp a scope or rifle.  

Or go with these.  

View Quote

Thank you.  I'm really liking the Reaper Grip.  Do you know if it can relatively easily be converted to Arca?  (Almost totally new to this tripod thing...)  I'd be a little nervous about clamping the scope.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#3]
I run neewer tripod and a couple of the vortex ones..the neewer one is a solid tripod that won't break the bank..Everything I own is on Swiss-arca, froom spotting scopes, range finders, rifles, In fact I even have a plate that will clamp on the tripod and holds both my spotting scope and my range finder in place..aim the scope where you want to see, then fine tune with the RF and range it..works pretty damn good..Notice how far forward the clamp is, this rifle is a bit over 16 pounds.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
https://neewer.com/collections/tripod/products/tripods-66600214

109 bucks direct from the manufacturer...
Notice the 33 pound rating, they make a lighter one that might be too lite for a heavy rifle...

https://neewer.com/collections/tripod/products/tripods-66600214
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Innorel makes some great stuff for the price.  Ran their N52 for a couple seasons of coyote hunting and had no issues.

Been very happy with my current Two Vets No Name tripod and RRS Anvil 30 setup.  Light and solid.  Much prefer the Anvil 30 over a traditional ballhead.  Next upgrade will probably be to a Fat Boy.

BOGs can be made better

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My current work setup is a 2Vets 40 Mike Mike with the Leofoto 75mm leveling bowl with Arca/Pic clamp.  Previously, I had used a manfrotto 438 leveling base and pig saddle (I still keep the pig on an arca plate for rifles that don't have arca or pic).

I've tried lots of setups,  I very much prefer the tripods with  34-40mm legs and 75mm bowls.  Weight is low enough and rigidity is great.   I've used the 0311 from Shadowtech in the past and I think its over rated.  Avoid using anything with a center stalk for anything but spotting.  The further you raise the center up the more stability you lose for shooting.   I personally don't like ball heads and I stick with the leveling bases.  That has worked out best for me over the years.  If you do go ball head,  go 50mm +.  

I would look pretty hard at the Leofoto tripods.   Their Summit or Mountain series 364 tripods are really great.  I've used the ones a friend has and that will be my next one.   The Summit's can be had for about $400 on Amazon.   Their leveling bowl with pic/arca clamp is the YB-75LR.  It can be harder to find as it is newer.   Also, they make an Anvil30 clone that is worth a look.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my setup. For me its a good balance between sturdy, lightweight, adaptable and reasonably affordable.

Leofoto Ranger LS364C tripod
Leofoto LS-40 Ballhead
Leofoto LSC-50 Arca Swiss / Picatinny quick release
RRS BLPD - Leupold spotting scope adapter
Leofoto GS-3 - For non Picatinny/Arca Swiss rifles(Not Shown)

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I have a BOG that was a christmas present. The tripod itself does fine for most of my uses. The clamp is almost useless, however. I'm gonna need details on that ball head conversion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spectre3:

I have a BOG that was a christmas present. The tripod itself does fine for most of my uses. The clamp is almost useless, however. I'm gonna need details on that ball head conversion.
View Quote

Sent you a IM
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It would be really cool if one could put an anvil 30 or one of the many knockoffs of the anvil 30 on a bog.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

It would be really cool if one could put an anvil 30 or one of the many knockoffs of the anvil 30 on a bog.
View Quote

This would let you put an Anvil 30 on a BOG

Ball head adapter
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Ball head adapter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Ball head adapter

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
As an FYI, Desmond photographic on eBay has really good deals on leofoto stuff right now. Just got a SA-364c + Ma-30 head for $287 shipped. That’s the cheapest I’ve ever seen it. They have other models on sale as well
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
For those looking for a light but tough tripod..This Neewer tripod is on sale 50% off for 114 bucks...Weighs 3 pounds, holds 44 pounds and is highly adaptable depending on what's needed at the moment...

Attachment Attached File

https://neewer.com/collections/tripods/products/neewer-tp23-all-in-1-travel-tripod-monopod-66602043
Top Top