Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2024 5:48:03 PM EDT
What kinda cost am I looking at to start reloading? Really only interested in reloading 223/556 & 9mm mainly for range use. I don't need a top of the line setup. More middle of the road and something I could build on and I don't mind doing the tedious manual labor a few hours a week.

I'd be starting from scratch. No reloading equipment with the exception of the 5-6k 9mm and 223 spent casings I've be saving over the years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#2]
First off, this thread probably belongs in the general reloading section, not in the precision rifle section.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Reloading/42/

That being said, there is a billion ways to answer you question.

Most people will suggest a single stage to learn on.

I would recommend something like the Redding T7 that you could use forever and never outgrow.

I would say $1k would be a good estimate for everything you need of good quality.

You could get a Lee Anniversary kit and technically have everything you "need" (except components), but I little more money goes a long way in my opinion.

You need to get ABCs of Reloading if you don't have it yet. Its a great book that walks you through the individual steps kinda like a follow-along guide.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
9mm is going to bore you on a single stage, and a single stage is always needed IMO.   A progressive and a SS and all the allied equipment, 2k+.  
Dillon SDBs always pop up used and would be fine for 9.

Yeah, go visit the reloading forum and research this deep dive you are considering.  Bottle neck rifle stuff is not as simple as 9.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
A wise choice is the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit; runs about 475.00.
For 9MM dies may look at set of Hornady Dies with the Taper Crimp, runs about 65.00.  For the 223 Hornady dies and a separate taper Crimp die; runs about 85.00. Hornady Shell Holders run you about $8 bucks a pop; so there is 16.00 You will need a caliper; they run $35 a set. You do not trim 9MM but 223 you do; you can snag a World’s Finest Trimmer for around $73.00.  

I for 9MM buy the Lyman 51st Edition Reloading Manual covers the pistol cartridge.  You get a Speer manual with the RCBS Kit.

A small vibratory polisher is about 80.00

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
IF you won't be shooting a lot, such as competitions, and just plan on plinking a couple hundred rounds here and there or slowly building an ammo stash, I disagree with those saying don't get a single-stage press.

I started loading in the early 80's on a Rock Chucker... still use the same press today and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds. Never got into the progressive game, no need to, no regrets.

BUT... that's because I don't shoot competition where I'm burning up ammo constantly AND like you mentioned, I don't mind the tedious nature of single-stage press work. I like to run reloading operations in stages anyway by the 2K or 3K at a time volume.  Yes, it's tedious to most but not to me. Kind of like therapy for me.

I like to take my time and really get a good look at the round during the stages of the process.

Lots of great deals on basic presses, dies, scales, tumblers, etc. that will help you get started on the cheap gear wise. If you find down the road you want a progressive, then have at it.

A few hundred dollars and you can be rolling our own.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy used?

Good reloading equipment can be found on the used market.

I have bought 3 different complete kits in the last 10 years, each for less than $100 each.

2 months ago, my brother gave me his reloading stuff as he hasn't used it in 20 years.

I have given kits away to people that have expressed interest in reloading. Sadly, none of them have reloaded a case.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:51:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#8]
How much do you plan to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't shoot competition, and agree that is a fair measure with regards to choosing a press.  

With a single stage,  a whole session could involve resizing.  Another session priming.  Then a third session involving charging and capping.

With a progressive, you're completing multiple steps each time you pull the handle.  Chances are you can reload the same number of cases in one session.

If you're reloading rifle brass (especially .223/5.56) there are several extra steps in case prep that slow down the progressive reloading process.  You may want to de-cap the once-fire cases with a dedicated de-capping die due to crimped primers, then you have to trim or swage the crimp from these cases.  Then each case should be trimmed after resizing.  If I'm doing all this, I'd lean towards a single stage press.
Top Top