Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2024 6:36:24 PM EDT
I have one bolt action, a Tikka t3x in 6.5 creedmoor that I bought at the time for hunting. But as I get more involved in long range precision, I've been using this one and only bolt action about twice a month, 20-40 rounds per session. So I started mulling around the idea . . .

1) Buy another Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor; that way one is solely for hunting and the other for long range precision.
2) Buy another Tikka in 308; again, the idea is one for long range precision fun and the other for hunting; granted, both can be used for both applications.
3) Don't buy another rifle, keep using my one and only Tikka and when/if it wears out, replace it with another.

Thoughts on 1, 2, or 3?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Of those choices I’d do another 6.5.  

But I’d do a 6cm over either for match/target work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big fan of using what you've got until it's one of the biggest factors holding you back.  Thus, number 3 gets my vote, particularly with the relatively few rounds you're shooting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
4. Put together another rifle with a Bighorn Origin action and prefit barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor.
View Quote

This is the way.

Keep the current one for hunting and build a long range precision rifle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I'd buy another rifle, but something heavier and dedicated to precision shooting rather than another T3x.  Your choice on chambering, but for pure target shooting I'd probably get a second 6.5.  Hunt with the light rifle, target shoot with the heavy rifle.

That said, it really depends what your goals are.  If your primary goal is to practice for hunting, keep shooting the hunting rifle and rebarrel when needed.  If your goal is to hit small targets way out there at the range, buy something dedicated to that.  So far my long-ish range (by WI standards) shooting has been with my hunting rifles, but I'm starting to think about building a dedicated precision rifle with a more suitable optic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't considered building. Only reason I figured Tikka is because that's what I have and like; plus, price range for a built rifle was $700 to $1K. If I were to build, suggestions on actions and barrel manufacturers? I'm not looking to spend thousands as I'm still getting into this new phase or level of shooting; very much a beginner who wants to learn.

To those who have yet to reply, I'd still like to know your thoughts on 1, 2, 3.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#8]
Originally Posted By glassman87:
Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't considered building. Only reason I figured Tikka is because that's what I have and like; plus, price range for a built rifle was $700 to $1K. If I were to build, suggestions on actions and barrel manufacturers? I'm not looking to spend thousands as I'm still getting into this new phase or level of shooting; very much a beginner who wants to learn.

To those who have yet to reply, I'd still like to know your thoughts on 1, 2, 3.

Thanks!
View Quote

Macbros action

Criterion Remage (I’d get the tools and a trigger tech from them as well.. you’re looking at $650-700 with tools and trigger).

KRG bravo
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#10]

Don't believe they will accept shouldered prefit barrels thus eliminating the barrel nut. I would spend the extra $125 for the Origin just for that reason. Not to mention being able to change bolt faces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Macbros action

Criterion Remage (I’d get the tools and a trigger tech from them as well.. you’re looking at $650-700 with tools and trigger).

KRG bravo

Don't believe they will accept shouldered prefit barrels thus eliminating the barrel nut. I would spend the extra $125 for the Origin just for that reason. Not to mention being able to change bolt faces.

I don’t mind barrel nuts, I actually prefer them. That being said you can buy shouldered prefits for them. I’ve used both and while the origin is a great receiver.. I prefer the macbro.

Also OP. You don’t need an action wrench on a virgin build.

If I’m changing bolt faces I’ll take another gun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#12]

For me a barrel nut is one more thing to have to deal with. Will never have one. Using shouldered prefits is as easy as screwing a nut in a bolt. Who makes shouldered prefits for the McBros?

The changing bolt faces is to save having to buy another rifle. And I am not talking about changing them at the range but being able to change and run a different caliber for the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

I don’t mind barrel nuts, I actually prefer them. That being said you can buy shouldered prefits for them. I’ve used both and while the origin is a great receiver.. I prefer the macbro.

Also OP. You don’t need an action wrench on a virgin build.

If I’m changing bolt faces I’ll take another gun.

For me a barrel nut is one more thing to have to deal with. Will never have one. Using shouldered prefits is as easy as screwing a nut in a bolt. Who makes shouldered prefits for the McBros?

The changing bolt faces is to save having to buy another rifle. And I am not talking about changing them at the range but being able to change and run a different caliber for the day.

PBB is one I know of.

I mean I get it.  But I’m a build a complete separate rifle type of guy, especially if it constitutes a BF change.

Shouldered prefits are no doubt slightly easier, but I prefer the control over setting head space.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
#3 for now -- I think I'll enjoy and use what I have, see how I do with what I got. If I get really into this then maybe I'll build, but that route looks to be quite the rabbit hole and expenditure.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xCLAYBUSTERx] [#15]
#3 for now -- I think I'll enjoy and use what I have, see how I do with what I got. If I get really into this then maybe I'll build, but that route looks to be quite the rabbit hole and expenditure.
View Quote

Toss it in a KRG bravo Chassis and call it a day. There’s a nice used one in the EE
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Okay I have a few questions:
What type of hunting do you plan on doing?
Are you going to be stand hunting where weight doesn’t matter or spot and stalk where weight adds up?
Are you planning on competing beyond the 6.5’s normal range in the future?
Do you reload?
Having a .223 trainer was one of my best decisions. It is just plain fun to stretch its legs. Are you in an area where prairie dogs are available? They are excellent multi range practice. Number one they are hard to range and wind can be really tricky. The .223 brass is relatively cheap and easy to work loads up for. But I have noticed Lapua just gets your ES and SD way down compared to other brass. If you’re competing in the .223’s effective range it might save you some barrel life.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one bolt action, a Tikka t3x in 6.5 creedmoor that I bought at the time for hunting. But as I get more involved in long range precision, I've been using this one and only bolt action about twice a month, 20-40 rounds per session. So I started mulling around the idea . . .

1) Buy another Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor; that way one is solely for hunting and the other for long range precision.
2) Buy another Tikka in 308; again, the idea is one for long range precision fun and the other for hunting; granted, both can be used for both applications.
3) Don't buy another rifle, keep using my one and only Tikka and when/if it wears out, replace it with another.

Thoughts on 1, 2, or 3?
View Quote

What barrel profile does your TIkka currently have?
What type of stock or chassis is it?

If it is a thinner type barrel and a lighter hunting style stock I'd leave this rifle for hunting and build a precision type rig.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Okay I have a few questions:
What type of hunting do you plan on doing?
Are you going to be stand hunting where weight doesn’t matter or spot and stalk where weight adds up?
Are you planning on competing beyond the 6.5’s normal range in the future?
Do you reload?
Having a .223 trainer was one of my best decisions. It is just plain fun to stretch its legs. Are you in an area where prairie dogs are available? They are excellent multi range practice. Number one they are hard to range and wind can be really tricky. The .223 brass is relatively cheap and easy to work loads up for. But I have noticed Lapua just gets your ES and SD way down compared to other brass. If you’re competing in the .223’s effective range it might save you some barrel life.
View Quote

This ^^^^

I bought a Tikka in 223 because I want to shoot a lot and the ammo is cheaper than 6CM. (I don't reload) I'm hoping it will help me learn to deal with windage on the long shots.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
plus, price range for a built rifle was $700 to $1K. If I were to build, suggestions on actions and barrel manufacturers? I'm not looking to spend thousands

Thanks!
View Quote

That budget isn't even close my friend! You WILL spend thousands so let that thought pass.......
Top Top