Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2018 1:32:13 PM EDT
I used a bit of carb cleaner to clean out my screw holes for a scope base, not knowing I shouldn’t use carb cleaner. It’s cause a little bit of white residue look around the screw holes, but it comes off with my finger nail and looks normal after.  Did I hurt things or should I just apply some oil and call it good?  The rail will cover it up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Just stripped all the oil off it and left a bit of residue. I don't use carb cleaner as it's stronger then needed but brake cleaner works well with no residue. You HAVE to oil any steel you use it on as it'll strip every bit of oil off it and it'll rust quickly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks that makes me feel better.  I did oil right away.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I like brake cleaner the non chlorine type. I use it all the time. If you have a wood stock do not let it sit on it at all-will strip the finish off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadeye600i] [#4]
Luckily, it’s a plastic stock and I just put the carb cleaner on a patch and used a wood q-tip end to get down into the screws (so I didn’t spray it near the rifle).  I can’t seem to get all the residue off, I’m not even sure if it was caused by the cleaner or if it just had gunk from the factory.  It’s really hard to see unless I get up really close to it.  I just wanted to make sure I didn’t ruin the metal, lol.  Also, I think it was the chlorine type, it was auto-zone brand.  I know now not to use it!  My brother told me simple green from now on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a can of braklean and go over it again and it should remove the white stain left by the carb cleaner...braklean won't hurt metal, but it does remove all oil/grease and it can bite wood or some plastics..just be careful using it..  Oh and don't get it in your eyes and you should wear nitrile gloves....And good ventilation....
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
There isn’t really any white stain anymore (maybe cause the oil).  Just looks like some very tiny gunk along where the rail sits.  If it won’t hurt anything, can I just put the rail back on and never see it again?  Is there anything I should put on the bottom of the rail, like oil?  I know to clean the screws and apply blue loctite.  I’m getting a seekin 20MOA rail for it.  It’s a Savage FCP-SR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Own a few firearms and have yet to find carburetors on them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I use brake cleaner to clean cosmoline from some M1 Garands, it works great. Just a word of caution though. I have done this numerous times in my shop. However one night i did my thing and all was fine. I went to bed and woke up the next morning with breath problems. I could not completely fill my lungs with air. I went to my Dr.'s office thinking it was the brake cleaner. The Dr. Thought I was having a heart attack. It was scary just getting enough air to breath. Make sure you have plenty a ventilation. I was better in a couple hours but it was an experience I will never forget.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve had plastic gun parts destroyed by carb cleaner.   I only use the “green” brake cleaner on metal parts of the gun for carbon removal or something that’s hard to get off.  I try to avoid it if possible, on plastics
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:54:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#10]
Free advice worth what you paid for it >>>  I use lacquer thinner (from the paint section of a local hardware store) on a pipe cleaner to degrease screw holes.  Cut 1 "normal" pipe cleaner into 3 equal length pieces.  Dip about 1/2 inch into lacquer thinner and run thru your screw holes, then use the other dry end to wipe out the holes.  Repeat for a total of 3 passes and let residual lacquer thinner evaporate before proceeding - it evaporates quickly...

Best,

- R -
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Just stripped all the oil off it and left a bit of residue. I don't use carb cleaner as it's stronger then needed but brake cleaner works well with no residue. You HAVE to oil any steel you use it on as it'll strip every bit of oil off it and it'll rust quickly.
View Quote
This.
I..`%#$&&**``;#$%**((*? .
Top Top