Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2023 12:29:11 AM EDT
I have a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creed with the full length 1" thick bull barrel (26" bbl).  It's my best shooting rifle, putting 5rds in less than 1/2" more often than not.  But it is heavy and doesn't have a threaded muzzle.  I don't really enjoy shooting unsuppressed anymore, so I want to make it handier and throw my can on it.

I realize there are probably a lot of variables involved, but would I likely be able to achieve the same precision (as unmolested) after chopping the barrel to 18-20" and threaded for the can?  Or is that a bad idea and I shouldn't mess with a great shooting gun?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy another barrel and save this one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you’re that worried about it buy another barrel.

That said I’ve had a Savage 10 barrel and an AR barrel shortened and threaded by class3machining and they both continued to shoot very well.

That said part 2, I have other barrels that shoot like shit with certain muzzle device combos, which I figure must be a harmonics thing

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I went ahead and had it chopped to 19" and threaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top