Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2023 5:32:32 PM EDT
I’ve never used a laser bore sight to assist in zeroing a scope. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thabks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Never needed one.  Pull the bolt and look down the bore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Caniac_Nation:
I’ve never used a laser bore sight to assist in zeroing a scope. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thabks.
View Quote

Sightlite SL-500 kit.

Used it on everything from installing sights on a G26, to ARs, shotguns and a 50BMG.

Pretty much dead on for pistols at 20-25 yards. Bright enough to be seen in daylight, to get on paper at 100yds for rifles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a $20 on Amazon.

It works very very well.

Did a load up of 35 Remington for a Marlin Lever gun, put a red dot on it.

At 50 yards put the red dot on the laser dot. First shot was 3 inches off.

I have used it with a dedicated .22 AR, a 22 Target hand gun for bullseye, and an AR and it worked great.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one of These. it gets me within 1 or 2 clicks every time.

I also have a few of These .  They're a little less fiddly than the other one but get you pretty close pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Wheeler bore sight tool. Get the green laser one it’s the easiest to see in sunlight. Also get some reflective tape. A lot easier than using the grid sheet that comes with it. I’ve used it on red dots and scopes, gets me within a few inches or less every time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
They are handy for things you can't get a straight shot from the back end down the bore...

But otherwise pull bolt or open action or whatever and use the Mk I Eyeball
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I also agree with the pull the bolt, line up the bore with target at 100 yards, and line up scope. Don't waste your money with a boresighter, But don't take our word for it, think about it.

And this is why.

Let's say you have a brand new chamber in a brand new barrel. Let's also say the laser tool you insert into your chamber has 2 THOUSANDTHS of play, per 1" of that tool so you can insert and extract it somewhat easily.

Now, it's just simple math. 300 feet in a hundred yards X 12 inches per foot. 3600 inches.

.002" of play per inch of tool X 3600 = 7.2" at 100 yards.

your laser will be off that much. I can usually get it closer than that with my eyeball. I dont know exactly how much slop those units have, But, I feel like I am possibly giving them too little tolerance. I have personally seen some that were off by 4'. It just depends on how it fits your chamber. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the look down the bore to start with, but I do it at home with a 1" target dot on the wall 25 feet away..Once I have it as centered as possible, I head for the range..1st target is set at 50 yards to make sure first shot is on bullseye, if not adjust until it is, The target gets moved to 100 yards and sighted in.. I also like to get it out to 500 yards and verify the group is still on bullseye...
   Oh and once its zero'd, I run both a tall target and a box test to verify my reticle is plumb to the level, and that it tracks vertically and horizontally, as well as making sure each click on the knobs is moving the correct distance....
Top Top