Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2019 7:21:13 PM EDT
Can anyone direct me to a "How-To" thread for learning to shoot my .308 RAP to 600yds from a bipod?

It's zeroed from a concrete bench now.Attachment Attached File

thnx
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It varies...most say you need to "load" the bipod, which means putting enough shoulder into it to get a good push going..I have found on my LR gun that it likes almost zero load on the bipod..I barely put my shoulder against the chassis and barely touch the chassis with my trigger hand... that works best on my LR rifle...My buddy's rifle I have to lean into hard enough to make it just about slide on the concrete pad, plus pull back with my trigger hand pretty firmly... try several tensions and see what works best...
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks, good info there
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doc540:
thanks, good info there
View Quote
... my rifle....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
In my limited experience, it depends most on the bipod style and weight/balance of the gun.

14+lb with the CG 6" ahead of the receiver on a Versapod will almost preload. I lean my shoulder in with about 5-10lbs of force in the shoulder. 308 recoil pushes back through the legs' pivot travel and then goes back into battery. Rapid fire with reduced loads

I was greatly influenced by sling shooting though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
It varies...most say you need to "load" the bipod, which means putting enough shoulder into it to get a good push going..I have found on my LR gun that it likes almost zero load on the bipod..I barely put my shoulder against the chassis and barely touch the chassis with my trigger hand... that works best on my LR rifle...My buddy's rifle I have to lean into hard enough to make it just about slide on the concrete pad, plus pull back with my trigger hand pretty firmly... try several tensions and see what works best...
View Quote
This is how I shoot my 5.56 and 6.5 CM semi-autos. If I load the bipd at all, it is minimal. I've found a very loose grip on the pistol grip to be critical to getting the best accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Flat across the upper back, don't pinch the shoulder blades together.
Chest on the ground.
Forearms flat on the ground.
rifle parallel to your spine.
spine pointed at target and straight (no bending)
legs wide, feet pointed outboard, ankles on the ground.
don't squeeze the pistol grip, rest your hand against it.
load the bipod JUST A LITTLE, only enough to keep the butt stock on your shoulder (unless recoil mitigation is an issue)
the "pocket" is not the shoulder joint, come inboard 1 hand width from your shoulder joint.
keep the bipod as low as you can get it
keep the rifle as low as you can get it
bipods go on the ground, not on a shooting mat or pad (I don't like bipods on concrete, put them on the dirt if you can)
toe bag goes under the toe of the butt stock, squeeze the bag with your off-hand to fine tune aim, DO NOT MUSCLE THE GUN.

If you can do all of that, you're way ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a quick cuff sling to pull the rifle into my shoulder when using bags or a bipod.  It makes followup shots much quicker with very little re-positioning.  This is an important thing when you are trying to knock off all the silhouettes before anyone else can get their dope right.
Top Top