Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2024 1:19:25 PM EDT
Lately I’ve been thinking building a bolt action would be a fun project after messing around with ARs for the last 15 years or so. I have a decent work bench set up with a solid vise, torque wrench etc but don’t have access or the skills for lathes or other gunsmithing similar equipment.

So far I’ve been looking at 700 footprint actions like the Zermatts because I like the idea of being able to have multiple bolt heads. I’m still trying to figure out what the easiest options are for pre fit barrels though. I like the idea of getting a short or medium action and being able to go from 223 to 6arc or 6mm cm 6.5cm, 308 to 6.5prc for tinkering fun.

To be honest though, I don’t really understand how the actions and barrel threading works. It seems like a remage setup may be the most user friendly for pre fit barrels but maybe I’m off base?

If anybody has any knowledge they would be willing pass on, I would greatly appreciate it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 870Fan:

To be honest though, I don’t really understand how the actions and barrel threading works. It seems like a remage setup may be the most user friendly for pre fit barrels but maybe I’m off base?

If anybody has any knowledge they would be willing pass on, I would greatly appreciate it.

View Quote

You can get a shouldered prefit that would not require a barrel nut for the Zermatt. Screw the barrel in, torque it down, “check with headspace gauge”. The headspace should be spot on when torqued to spec, but it’s good to verify.

With the barrel nut style barrels, you set the headspace by screwing the barrel in and tighten down the barrel nut when it’s set properly. There’s more adjustment flexibility with a barrel nut system, but some prefer the aesthetics of a shouldered barrel.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. Pardon my total ignorance but does a barrel nut shoulder against the rifle action then? The barrel threads into the the action and the nut holds it in place ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You are correct.  But don't get a barrel nut setup, get a shouldered barrel, much easier.  If you do get a barrel nut, use red locktite to make it a shouldered barrel.

Building a bolt gun is much simpler than an ar15 (not that ars are hard to build, as you know).
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an acfion and a prefit, easy peezy.  Make sure you have go/no go guages.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Build a remage off the new PSA action and a Faxon barrel

Head Spacing A RemAge Barrel SD 480p

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You’re on the right track with the Zermatt and similar actions. Modern machining tolerances means any gunsmith worth the title should be able to spin up a shouldered prefit. You can even buy direct from manufacturers like Proof and Straight Jacket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have done 2 Remingtin's and one Howa with prefit barrels that required barrel nuts and had no issues with them after firing 100's of rounds through them. And no, I did not have to Lock tight the nuts.

With the barrel nut prefit's, all you need is a set of GO and No GO gauges, a torque wrench and barrel nut wrench for the tools needed. Thier are plenty of videos on how to assemble an action this way.

I am also in the process of building a Solus action with a shoulder prefit barrel. The tools need is a set of GO and No GO gauges, a torque wrench and action wrench that fits your action, and a barrel vice. A video on how to install a shoulder prefit barrel.

The GO and No GO gauges will be for the caliber that you plain to shoot, and you will also need a good anti-seize for the action and barrel threads.

With today's machining, it is easy to build your own rifle without the use of a gunsmith, and it's well worth it if you are looking at saving money on your build.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no need to use a barrel nut when a shouldered prefit is available. If you are buying a premium action the barrels just screw in. Why make it harder than it needs to be. The nuts make sense on OEM actions like Remington Savage and Ruger but if you can get one setup where you don't have to mess with headspace why wouldn't you go that way?

Hopefully someone with more experience will show up but you might need to do research on the mags for the various length actions and what they are compatible with. I don't know if there are medium and long action mags that will feed 223 etc. I'd just start with a short action which gives you everything from 223 to the Short Mags. Then I'd get a long action to cover the rest of the range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks for the info. Pardon my total ignorance but does a barrel nut shoulder against the rifle action then? The barrel threads into the the action and the nut holds it in place ?
View Quote

Yes.

I prefer the shouldered prefits, but I have a few barrel nut style barrels as well.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 870Fan] [#11]
Rob01, how does 223 work in a 308 length action? Do you just have a longer bolt throw than needed and put the correct size magazine box on? That’s fascinating because I have a mountain of 223/556 brass but it would be nice to have the option to go to a 308 sized round down the road.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Really appreciate all the info. If I wanted to run with a blind magazine for hunting would cause me any problems other than swapping parts around?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

No shouldn't be a problem. You can make it a 300WSM if you wanted also.
View Quote

^This

I run a 223, 6arc, 6creed, 260 and 22GT on the same actions. Like Rob, zero issues feeding.

A mini action isn’t needed for 223 (if that was the underlying question).
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Can’t thank you guys enough for the info. I’ll update the thread as the project moves along.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Rob01, how does 223 work in a 308 length action? Do you just have a longer bolt throw than needed and put the correct size magazine box on? That’s fascinating because I have a mountain of 223/556 brass but it would be nice to have the option to go to a 308 sized round down the road.
View Quote

The cool thing about 223 in a bolt action is you can use heavier/longer bullets without the magazine length restrictions in an AR or similar semi-auto platform.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
It takes about 5 minutes to assemble a rifle with a few tools, it’s hardly an exciting process. Having an accurate rifle that you can easily swap barrels on without having to send the action to a gunsmith is far more exciting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're looking at building a PRS style rifle, then hit the easy button and buy a Seekins HIT.
Barrel swaps can be done in less than 5 minutes, no special tools needed. Just take the bolt out, use the allen head on the bolt to loosen the barrel collar, spin the barrel of and spin new barrel on hand tight and tighten collar. Different case head size? No problem, removable bolt faces too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I like my nuts!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]

No shouldn't be a problem. You can make it a 300WSM if you wanted also.
View Quote

@Rob01 Just curious, because I know you can but 300WSM prefits, but how would you go about feeding them with say a KRG Bravo (AICS) chassis?  I'd love to have this option.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thump_rrr] [#23]
Barrel nut all the way for me.
If you go the shoulderd prefit you are at the mercy of your gunsmith and his schedule.
You can find barrel nut style barrels in stock or even barrels that others may be dumping for some stupid reason.
I'm $200 into a 6BR Norma barrel tht shoots 0.2's.
The guy wanted to switch to 30BR becaue bigger holes can score better.
This is an Ultimatum Deadline Gen2 with an IBI barrel.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Not true in regards to shouldered prefits. You can buy them off the rack and in stock. You can also find them for sale as well on forums.
View Quote

Will also back this up. I even sold a couple extras here on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#26]
The Savage nut barrel library extends to the 1960s, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By speedball:

@Rob01 Just curious, because I know you can but 300WSM prefits, but how would you go about feeding them with say a KRG Bravo (AICS) chassis?  I'd love to have this option.  Thanks
View Quote

Accurate mag makes a 3 and 7rd wsm aics mag.  I use them in ky 6.5prc short action.  Don't really need a no go gage, you can use a piece of scotch tape on go gage case head or use a piece of .008 feeler gage, cut to same diameter as bolt head and sandwich between bolt face and go gage.  I prefer the nucleus action to the origins.  When the origin was a 800.00 option they were nice if not a bit sloppy feeling.  Now that they are 925+, I'd just but the 1000 nucleus 2.0 with the integral recoil lug and better extractor and be done.  The solus action is appealing to and it does use shouldered origin prefits.  I would not use a faxon or BA barrel on a bolt gun.  While ok for ar's, they aren't known as precision barrels and there's no point in using an ave barrel to start with.  I like the shouldered barrels, as far as aesthetics, but I've had as good accuracy from criterion prefits as I have from my barts and Krueger.  The cut rifled barrels clean up easier from the start, any maybe shoot better with several loads, but as far as best accuracy they are very similar.  I do set headspace with a nut, then witness mark and red loc tite nut with barrel off the receiver.  I've found the criterions are a good option for hot rod calibers that die in 1k-1500rds.  I can have a criterion and nut for 350 or a shouldered prefit for 700.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Not true in regards to shouldered prefits. You can buy them off the rack and in stock. You can also find them for sale as well on forums.
View Quote

You're not wrong, but generally the ones on the rack are a caliber/length/contour that is set up for prs.  Not everyone want s a 16+" 6 dasher/gt marksman or mtu contour.  Also op, bighorn action shouldered prefits don't work on all the action families.  Tl3 headspaces different than an origin.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:
Barrel nut all the way for me.
If you go the shoulderd prefit you are at the mercy of your gunsmith and his schedule.
You can find barrel nut style barrels in stock or even barrels that others may be dumping for some stupid reason.
I'm $200 into a 6BR Norma barrel tht shoots 0.2's.
The guy wanted to switch to 30BR becaue bigger holes can score better.
This is an Ultimatum Deadline Gen2 with an IBI barrel.
https://i.postimg.cc/DzYVCT9F/IMG-7610.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/6pcxvRz8/IMG-7609.jpg
View Quote

Nice.

I’ll also add the Variable shoulder remage prefits will work with a much wider range of actions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thump_rrr] [#31]

View Quote

How does a shouldered pre fit headspace?
Not all actions have the same tennon print.
Are you telling me that any guy with a Remington 700 action can buy a shouldered prefit from anyone selling one and it will headspace?

Also 6 weels for a barrel isn't happening at least in Canada.
IBI is at 16-18 weeks currently
There are some other custom barrel makers in Canada that are excellent but will take 6-8 months to send you a barrel.
Kreiger is at 12-14 MONTHS.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DH243] [#32]

There are more on the rack than that. Yes there are a lot of match styles as those shooters go through barrels faster than most hunters or recreation shooters but if you are the latter then ordering a barrel from the smith and having to wait 6 weeks for it isn't an issue as you are still shooting through your first barrel.

And yes the Origin and short action TL3 take different prefits but you can change the recoil lug on the Origin and it will accept TL3 prefits as well. Only $35.

https://huntslongrange.com/product/hlr-origin-0-150-thick-recoil-lug/?v=7516fd43adaa
View Quote

Yeah, just make sure correct lug gets with correct action and correct prefit.  Outside of some proof heavy steel in 6 and 6.5creed there's not a lot more on the rack, maybe a 6br or dasher heavy.  Most places that make a shouldered prefit is 8-14weeks,  I really like pva but they've gone up a bit and are usually running 12-14weeks, unless you pay an additional 200 to expedite it.  When they were 550  for threaded muzzle prefit on a rock creek button it was a solid deal.  Now at 7 or 750 for an osprey button barrel, meh
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

How does a shouldered pre fit headspace?
Not all actions have the same tennon print.
View Quote

They are specific to that action, or action family(bighorn).  Meaning a prefit for an impact is only for an impact, prefit for a ARC is only for an ARC nucleus and mausingfield.  Some actions like an aero solus headspace the same as an origin and they take a origin prefit.  The solus is the only action off the top of my head that is like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DH243:

They are specific to that action, or action family(bighorn).  Meaning a prefit for an impact is only for an impact, prefit for a ARC is only for an ARC nucleus and mausingfield.  Some actions like an aero solus headspace the same as an origin and they take a origin prefit.  The solus is the only action off the top of my head that is like that.
View Quote

Which is exactly my point on prefits with a barrel nut to Savage specifications.
You can find them everywhere which is why I went with the Ultimatum Deadline action.
I know it's not everyones cup of tea but it's a consideration for someone starting out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#36]

That's Canada. Can you order from US companies? If so then it's not taking that long for prefits. You can find them in stock at many companies and even ordering it's not that long with companies who make prefits.

Here's just one shouldered prefit seller for an example.

https://www.altusshooting.com/collections/precision-rifle-components/pre-fit-barrels
View Quote

We cannot order from US companies due to ITAR regulations.
I would have to send it through an exporter like Aztec armoury or I Run Guns LLC which are both based out of Arizona. They would have to do the export paperwork and send it to their Canadian facility and from there they would ship it to me.

It is typically $250 for the service plus all the shipping fees so I can add at least $400 to whatever the price of the barrel is
They usually ship once a month so if I miss the shipping deadline it would be sitting in Arizona for an additional month before having to make the trip across so add probably two months to whatever lead time it is for the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Obtain all the parts and take the parts or send those parts to a professional precision rifle maker.
Top Top