Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2023 7:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod]
If you don’t own one I would highly recommend it if you are shooting beyond 300 yards. I have been using mine with multiple calibers and it is extremely accurate when I have my inputs correct. Yesterday I set up to shoot 1,400 yards for the first time ever. With my GAP 6.5 Creedmoor data plugged in and a solid range the Kestral said 15.4 mil with the approx 12deg down slope we were shooting. I dialed it in and nailed a first round cold bore shot. I couldn’t believe it. This thing saves a lot of $ in expensive ammo getting onto target.

FWIW, I have the basic applied ballistics version. Was called the sportsman when I purchased it. I can store 3 gun/load combo on the unit and many more on my iPad and phone. I just have to transfer the guns I want for each shooting session. It also links with my Leica 2800 which will them provide dope when I range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That's fantastic shooting. Not to be pedantic, it's Kestrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Your sportsman can be converted to 5700 elite for like 190.  Its less expensive to convert a sportsman to elite then it is to convert a 5700 to elite.

I also highly recommend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EamonnWright:
That's fantastic shooting. Not to be pedantic, it's Kestrel.
View Quote

Always good to keep it reals. Spelling isn’t my thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Luvman:
Your sportsman can be converted to 5700 elite for like 190.  Its less expensive to convert a sportsman to elite then it is to convert a 5700 to elite.

I also highly recommend.
View Quote

I’ve keep almost doing that. But I have yet to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Kestrel is good for sure, I run a kilo 2400 and it has weather built in, no need for a kestrel, it also has AB built in and it is flawless for me, been out to 2000 yards several times, looking to go further hopefully this summer..
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Kestrel and Binocular Laser Range Finders are two of the very last shooting related items I would give up
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Kestrel is good for sure, I run a kilo 2400 and it has weather built in, no need for a kestrel, it also has AB built in and it is flawless for me, been out to 2000 yards several times, looking to go further hopefully this summer..
View Quote

I am happy with the Leica but also a little remorseful that I didn’t go straight into a bino set up. Budget at the time had been stretched to the max.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, for most I can see the binocs being a better choice over a stand alone RF...I wouldn't because often I am going straight to the spotting scope and hanging my phone on it to video what I am looking at..I also have an Swiss-arca rail that goes between the tripod ball and my scope, that allows me to mount my RF right with the spotting scope, just aim the spotting scope then hit the range button on the RF..
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, for most I can see the binocs being a better choice over a stand alone RF...I wouldn't because often I am going straight to the spotting scope and hanging my phone on it to video what I am looking at..I also have an Swiss-arca rail that goes between the tripod ball and my scope, that allows me to mount my RF right with the spotting scope, just aim the spotting scope then hit the range button on the RF..
View Quote

I would love to see that. I mostly got the Leica because I primarily bow hunt and often don’t want to be dealing with binos when ranging an animal inside 100 yards. Having a dual mount for long range work sounds handy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#11]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

I would love to see that. I mostly got the Leica because I primarily bow hunt and often don’t want to be dealing with binos when ranging an animal inside 100 yards. Having a dual mount for long range work sounds handy.
View Quote

It's nothing fancy, just a 6" Swiss arca rail that mounts in the ballhead on the tripod, then your  scope clips on to one end just like it did to the ballhead, then your RF clips into the other opening...On mine I get enough rubber slop on the kilo bracket to the RF that I can adjust height versus the spotting scope so both aim at the same point, so you need a 6" or whatever size rail strong enough to support your scope and RF, then you need 2 Swiss-arca clamps to bolt to the rail, (I use red locktite on them), I suppose you could just bolt the 6" plate to the ballhead, but I like being able to choose what I want on the tripod at any given time, so I retain the ball head clamp to clamp the 6" plate to, then a couple of the small plates to mount on the scope and RF..pretty simple, works great....I bought all the Swiss-arca stuff off eBay or amazon, its cheap...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]

It's nothing fancy, just a 6" Swiss arca rail that mounts in the ballhead on the tripod, then your  scope clips on to one end just like it did to the ballhead, then your RF clips into the other opening...On mine I get enough rubber slop on the kilo bracket to the RF that I can adjust height versus the spotting scope so both aim at the same point, so you need a 6" or whatever size rail strong enough to support your scope and RF, then you need 2 Swiss-arca clamps to bolt to the rail, (I use red locktite on them), I suppose you could just bolt the 6" plate to the ballhead, but I like being able to choose what I want on the tripod at any given time, so I retain the ball head clamp to clamp the 6" plate to, then a couple of the small plates to mount on the scope and RF..pretty simple, works great....I bought all the Swiss-arca stuff off eBay or amazon, its cheap...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1839_jpeg-2804752.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_3176_jpeg-2804764.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_8205_jpeg-2804788.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_8203_jpeg-2804789.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_8201_jpeg-2804791.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for that. I like it. Ranging some targets past 1,000 gets tough for me. I have very shaky hands. This setup would do nicely. Even room to mount the Kestrel in the center…
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Thanks for that. I like it. Ranging some targets past 1,000 gets tough for me. I have very shaky hands. This setup would do nicely. Even room to mount the Kestrel in the center…
View Quote

Yeah I made a little rod that screws into the center of mine and holds the fan assembly for the kilo 2400.. you can go bigger as well, I wanted just big enough so I went 6" on the rail....

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 5:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2JokersWild] [#14]
I do rimfire shooting, I need a wind meter for anything past 50 yards

I have the Sig Kilo10k and also just ordered a Kestrel 1000 so I have an easy to carry wind meter. But if you really want to do precision shooting, knowing the wind is critical.
Top Top