Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2022 10:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp]
So, Long read ahead! I love .22s, my favorite thing to shoot. I've had lots of different ones, but never anything over about $600, until recently. I got to handle a Vudoo a few months back, and my first thoughts were- "these mags are plenty big. And this thing's a tank! A one trick pony."

I could tell the quality was awesome, the bolt was slick as could be, and everything felt top notch...but still, I'm a dumb farm kid that doesn't shoot matches, and don't like big mags hanging down, and if I'm gonna shoot a 13lb rifle, it's gonna be a centerfire. It just "wasn't for me."

Tons of posts online asking "should I buy one? My Xxxxxx is just as accurate." And such. I read them all. Asked some well known forum members. Called Vudoo, watched videos. I have young children, and no rich relatives to hand me bags of money, so I decided: after MUCH deliberation with myself, and some mental anguish and lost sleep: to sell a few less-loved or duplicate guns, and raise the funds for a Vudoo.

I picked it up tonight. I couldn't decide which scope it needed, that's a WHOLE nother' can of worms, so I said heck with it, I'm just gonna throw a scope I already have on it for now, see if/how I like it, and decide later. So I stuck a 2.5-15x42 FFP, MOA Maven on it, in some old Warne 30mm rings. Not exactly the stuff the pros are using. Vudoo says they're cut for Lapua/SK ammo, and it might take a few boxes for it to start to shoot well. I grabbed 100 rounds of SK rifle match, figured I might as well shoot cheaper stuff until it breaks in a bit, then try Center X.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After work, tired and hungry, I ran down to the range, that faces directly west. Gusty winds, 18-30 mph. Sun shining directly in my face, I didn't care, I needed to shoot this thing! I threw a target up at 25 yards, and had two range sand bags under the front, and my hand under the rear. Loaded up 10, and fired one shot, cranked the reticle to the hole, shot one more, moved a few clicks and then fired the next 8: (yes, the target was stapled sideways.) rounds 1-10:
Attachment Attached File

Well...not too bad, I'm gonna skip 50 yards, and run down to 100, since I was in a hurry; rounds 11-20;
Attachment Attached File

Hmm. That's tolerable, I could barely see the target with the glare. I dialed up 6.75 MOA, rounds 21-30:Attachment Attached File

So....am I happy? Very! These groups will not win any awards, but they were not exactly fired in ideal conditions. I didn't have a fancy rest, or high powered scope, or dead calm wind. This may well be the ammo the rifle likes the best, maybe it will shoot 1/2 MOA with Center X, I don't know yet. What I do know is: the rifle feels amazing. Bolt is soooooo smooth to operate, and it fed and ejected like a sewing machine, and piled all 30 rounds in a little pile, because I ran the bolt slow. The trigger could be lightened up, and my technique could sure use some work, but at the end of the day, I went from thinking I was going to have buyer's remorse to thinking "man, I need to get some work done so I can shoot this more soon!"

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Mine's a 360, so 60° bolt throw. 20" MTU (heavy) barrel, TriggerTech Diamond (very nice) trigger, Greyboe Ridgeback (molded with MLOK inserts) stock.

It's a modern American classic. I sold a beautiful Winchester 52, a Ruger American Rimfire Target laminate, a Ruger Single Six and a couple scopes to swing it. I can definitely understand why people say a Vudoo is their favorite rifle, and also why some (lucky) people own more than one. They're that good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they are nice. I just picked up an apparition in a MPA chassis.  I shot mine last week for the first time. X center was the best grouping ammo at 50 yards. Well under 1 moa with multiple 10 shot groups at 50 yards.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]

I spent a few hours on Sunday shooting at steel*.

* threading center-X through the hanger holes of steel @80 & 100 yards.

Also, old range ammo makes for great reactive targets. Hit the primer at 100 yards and win.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:15:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
^^^ that's a good looking rifle!!

And thanks for your advice!

I was actually thinking mine may end up with a Razor 6-36 as well, after I peddle a few other things.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I love shooting .22 Rimfires...

This thread makes me want to spend money that I don't need to...

Currently, my Amateur Radio Hobby is sucking up all free time and money.  
I ignorantly, thought, ehh, I probably won't get much into this and how much can a radio and an antenna cost anyway? This has to be cheaper than my other hobbies, Right????
DEAD WRONG!!!!! So very wrong.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Hahaha I get it! I have 3 project cars that are all begging for money too! I also have a Tikka T1x that shoots way past it's pay grade. It may keep right up with the Vudoo in the accuracy department, and it's a lot better walking around, hunting rifle, and the action is very nice, but it's just not on the same level as the Vudoo.

If you enjoy spending time with craftsmanship and quality, you'll love the Vudoo. If you just want an accurate gun you can bang around a bit, buy a T1x.

A Camaro may keep up with a Ferrari, but at the end of the day, one's still a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#8]
Meant to follow up last time I shot the Vudoo, I usually only get to sneak to the range for 20-30 mins total lately. Rifle shoots very well, as should be expected, but the thing I've noticed is that's it's relatively easy to shoot fairly well. Not record setting stuff, but pleasing groups. Maybe it's partly the stock, the balance, I'm not a good enough shooter to tell yet, and I am working on my grip, pressures and follow through every time I pull the trigger.

I have 130 rounds of SK Rifle Match, Lonf Range Match, and Center-X through it now, hoping to spend some real time with it in the next few weeks.

Ran to the range quick since my nephew popped in to town and wanted to sight in his .22. He had 6 rounds of Aguila that were "duds" in his T/C 22, out of curiousity, I stuck them in a mag to see if the bolt would close easily, and if they'd fire. Yes to both;
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The T/C looks to be hitting a little light, or the Aguila is harder brass, but the Vudoo just HAMMERS the brass. If he rotated these 6, they may have fired in his T/C.

Anyways, wind was a bit gusty but I wanted to try a Tackdriver target anyways, 23/25 ain't bad. Misses were definitely on me, the reticle settled exactly where the bullet hole is after the shot settled. It's sooooo nice knowing that I need to work on my technique, and not having to guess if it was the rifle or not! All in all, extremely happy with this purchase.

Attachment Attached File

(2) five round groups of SK long range match to rezero scope at 25 yards, aiming at the tip of the diamond.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! I didn't know Baithalon was less greasy, I keep a couple shop towels in my shooting bag for SK and Center-X haha!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Sunday I took it outdoors after our USPSA match.  This was 10 shots at 150 meters.

https://i.imgur.com/mCerGas.jpg
View Quote

Umm,... you shot the wrong guy.  You killed the hostage.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
They are expensive but so much damn fun
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:25:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#14]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
... 23/25 ain't bad. Misses were definitely on me, the reticle settled exactly where the bullet hole is after the shot settled. It's sooooo nice knowing that I need to work on my technique, and not having to guess if it was the rifle or not!

(snip)

(2) five round groups of SK long range match to rezero scope at 25 yards, aiming at the tip of the diamond.

Attachment Attached File

It took me a long time (years, $) of messing with inaccurate rifles to learn that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to have an accurate rifle.  Nothing else really matters that much if you don't.  

You can never progress as a skilled shooter if you are using an inaccurate rifle because it gives you false (inaccurate) feedback regarding shot placement, technique, etc.  

Once you have a truly accurate rifle, it really is all up to you.  

All I can say about the groups in that photo is WOW!  Just WOW!

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]

It took me a long time (years, $) of messing with inaccurate rifles to learn that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to have an accurate rifle.  Nothing else really matters that much if you don't.  You can never progress as a skilled shooter if you are using an inaccurate rifle because it gives you false (inaccurate) feedback regarding shot placement, technique, etc.  

View Quote

I agree completely. Once you can outshoot a standard bolt .22, I'd recommend not monkeying around with anything mid-grade if you really want tiny groups.

And thank you! I was quite pleased myself! Although, to be fair, my best group so far was with my T1x at 50y; I'm sure the Vudoo will beat it easily, when I get a chance to shoot again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, you should buy a vudoo!  I was looking at accurate 22 trainer options and decided to bite the bullet and get a rifle that wouldn't require upgrades to get peak accuracy from.  Long story short, I shot my three best 22 groups ever the first time I shot the vudoo.  It continues to impress and the groups are amazing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been looking for a 22 rifle to upgrade to for a while and had my eye on one of the Vudoo rifles, but was recently told and found a few mentions online that they have trouble extracting a loaded round.  Specifically the action mentioned was the 360.  Have any of those that own any versions of their actions had such an issue?  Thanks

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoser] [#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I lucked out on a Vudoo barreled action a few years back and it has been a fantastic shooter.   I also have the Bergara B14R.  The Bergara is a nice setup as well but the Vudoo is less ammo sensitive.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure I could call them and ask but does anyone know if I can make one work with a long action chassis?  I have an AICS chassis that I've been toying around with turning into a .22 trainer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I was heading back from Cheyenne last week and I stopped by Mile High to see some friends.  They have a ton of this Lapua Biathlon ammo in stock.

I grabbed a brick to play with with the caveat that the brick has to come from a lot with 3-4 cases avail.

I like Biathlon ammo because for the most part it isnt greasy.

Last Saturday I grabbed my Vudoo 360 and I spent some time at the indoor range getting a solid zero, checking ES/SD and doing some tuning. The SD was about 7 and it was a pretty painless tune.

Sunday I took it outdoors after our USPSA match.  This was 10 shots at 150 meters.  I bought 3 cases of it.  It was also impressive out to 400 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/mCerGas.jpg
View Quote
That Lapua Biathlon ammo is no joke.  After shooting targets with it, I decided to use it for headshots on groundhogs around the neighbor's barn with my CZ.  It is good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone tried the new Laupa long range bullets in their Vudoo?  I have some on the way but won't be able to shoot it until later in the spring.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
How long do you have to wait for one?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought mine from eurooptic last year so about 2 days to ship and another day for the FFL to call me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, sort of want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]

In stock several places.
View Quote

Nice, anywhere you'd recommend?  It's bonus time at work so you know, more money than sense.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Mile High has some in stock. I’d grab that 22” MTU.

https://www.milehighshooting.com/brands/Vudoo-Gunworks.html
View Quote

I just did, it's now your fault.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:

I just did, it's now your fault.
View Quote

WelcomeToThePartyPal.gif hahaha
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#33]
This morning I bought that MDT ACC Elite chassis for it.  8 to 10 weeks back order.  I'm figuring out that precision rimfire is another way to say wait a few months.  

Does anyone know if a Vudoo MTU contour will fit in a Magpul Hunter stock?  I already have the stock and I wonder if I might be able to use it until my chassis comes in.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Just measure the stock and see how wide the barrel channel is. If it's in the 1" area you should be fine. It's usually easy to open up barrel channels anyways with a dowel and some sand paper.
View Quote

Yeah I should have thought about that, you're right.  But in the meantime I saw a guy on youtube did that for his Magpul/Vudoo and you could see the sanding was minimal anyway.  That'll make the wait for my chassis a little easier to take!
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#36]
How would you spec one of these if you intended it to be for your children? My kids are a ways off from utilizing a nice rifle like this, but I see no reason not to get one and throw it in the safe for future use. Also, I like to shoot everything suppressed.

Only rimfire I've ever shot is .22lr, stick with that?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#37]
How often are you cleaning your action on the Vudoo? Mine was getting foul every 250-300 rounds using SK. Would cause the bolt to "stick"
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I have at least 600 rounds through mine since last cleaning and no trouble.  I will likely clean it tonight.  No bolt stick or anything, bolt is still super smooth.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie_Gunner] [#39]
Meant to follow up last time I shot the Vudoo, I usually only get to sneak to the range for 20-30 mins total lately. Rifle shoots very well, as should be expected, but the thing I've noticed is that's it's relatively easy to shoot fairly well. Not record setting stuff, but pleasing groups. Maybe it's partly the stock, the balance, I'm not a good enough shooter to tell yet, and I am working on my grip, pressures and follow through every time I pull the trigger.

I have 130 rounds of SK Rifle Match, Lonf Range Match, and Center-X through it now, hoping to spend some real time with it in the next few weeks.

Ran to the range quick since my nephew popped in to town and wanted to sight in his .22. He had 6 rounds of Aguila that were "duds" in his T/C 22, out of curiousity, I stuck them in a mag to see if the bolt would close easily, and if they'd fire. Yes to both;
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/CBE14E07-2599-406F-83F9-7FD3C9924475_jpe-2475575.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/11E57469-066D-4207-B486-3E709353FDD4_jpe-2475576.JPG

The T/C looks to be hitting a little light, or the Aguila is harder brass, but the Vudoo just HAMMERS the brass. If he rotated these 6, they may have fired in his T/C.

Anyways, wind was a bit gusty but I wanted to try a Tackdriver target anyways, 23/25 ain't bad. Misses were definitely on me, the reticle settled exactly where the bullet hole is after the shot settled. It's sooooo nice knowing that I need to work on my technique, and not having to guess if it was the rifle or not! All in all, extremely happy with this purchase.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/7CF95E51-24A2-4F4B-9D8C-3E149AB258E2_jpe-2475579.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395198/B7097D43-5CDB-489A-BF33-A31448E7F390_jpe-2475581.JPG
View Quote

Do you have a source for those "tack driver" targets, @MontstrSP?

ETA: NVM... I found a .pdf online.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I have at least 600 rounds through mine since last cleaning and no trouble.  I will likely clean it tonight.  No bolt stick or anything, bolt is still super smooth.
View Quote

What ammunition are you using? I am wondering if the lube on the cases is creating an issue for me. It seems like everyone else's Vudoos run great.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt1860] [#41]
Originally Posted By miket92:

What ammunition are you using? I am wondering if the lube on the cases is creating an issue for me. It seems like everyone else's Vudoos run great.
View Quote

SK Rifle Match is the last 400 of that.  CCI Standard before that.  

The only issue I've seen is the action felt a bit gummy after shooting a few hundred Eley, but that was never bolt stick, just a kind of gummy feeling action.  I gave the bolt a bath in CLP while I was still at the bench and it was fine.  

My bolt is so slick it almost feels sloppy, but it shoots like everything is just as it should be.  Is your bolt stiff even when the gun is clean?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]

SK Rifle Match is the last 400 of that.  CCI Standard before that.  

The only issue I've seen is the action felt a bit gummy after shooting a few hundred Eley, but that was never bolt stick, just a kind of gummy feeling action.  I gave the bolt a bath in CLP while I was still at the bench and it was fine.  

My bolt is so slick it almost feels sloppy, but it shoots like everything is just as it should be.  Is your bolt stiff even when the gun is clean?
View Quote

Interesting. When clean it feels great, but a few hundred rounds in it'll feel sticky. I also have the 1st gen which they might have improved on by now.

It shoots incredible, but when sticky you just can't run the bolt fast and smooth. Its not the end of the world, I just clean it and its good again for a few hundred.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#43]
My Vudoo got a bit gummy as well, much quicker when shooting suppressed. I love shooting .22 bolt actions with a can, but I may just use foam ear plugs with this rifle to try and keep the action cleaner and slicker.

Glad you found the tackdriver targets, I never got a notification!
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#44]

I agree completely. Once you can outshoot a standard bolt .22, I'd recommend not monkeying around with anything mid-grade if you really want tiny groups.

And thank you! I was quite pleased myself! Although, to be fair, my best group so far was with my T1x at 50y; I'm sure the Vudoo will beat it easily, when I get a chance to shoot again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It took me a long time (years, $) of messing with inaccurate rifles to learn that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to have an accurate rifle.  Nothing else really matters that much if you don't.  You can never progress as a skilled shooter if you are using an inaccurate rifle because it gives you false (inaccurate) feedback regarding shot placement, technique, etc.  

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
-COL Townsend Whelen

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Vudoos are accurate, this (was) a house fly at 100 yards. A buddy and I have matching Vudoos. I believe we are out to 400 yards with them. The goal is to pop balloons at 600.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I requested a quote back in March from Vudoo, and with the options I chose... I had sticker shock when I got my quote.

Met a couple guys at the range today (surprising, range has been dead every single time I've gone.

One of the guys (Dillon, if you're on here... Hi lol) had a Vudoo. Not sure which model. Topped with a 4.5-27x Vortex Razor HD Gen II in a Spuhr mount.

Good lord!

His buddy had a Bergara B14R, so I got a side by side comparison. Was told the both had similar accuracy, but working the bolt on that Vudoo... Butter.

Maybe next year... I need nods before I need a $3k base .22lr, but It'll happen haha
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#48]

That’s not a “base” .22. That is a full custom .22.
View Quote

Lmao, you're right. I guess I meant "base" as in just the rifle, no scope, mount/rings, and other accessories lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Top Top