Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 9:56:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles]
So I’ve decided to get I want to give precision shooting with a bolt gun a try but I was hoping for some input.

I’ve narrowed it down to either a Tikka T3x or Bergara B14 HMR. Those seem to be my best bet, especially being left handed.

I haven’t settled on a caliber though, debating between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m not sold on either one and not invested in either one outside of having half a case of M80 for my M1A. I know most say 6.5 is easier to shoot well but .308 will keep you honest and make you a better shooter. But I don’t really have any longer ranges near me which has me leaning .308. I could probably pretty easily get to 300yds near me but any further would require a decent amount of driving.

As far as the rifles, I don’t have any intention of throwing it in a chassis, at least not right away, but I know being a lefty, there’s more options for the B14 being R700 based.

I like that the B14 takes AICS magazines as it is where the T3x needs new bottom metal. But the Tikka can take prefit barrels which would nice if I were to decide to change calibers for any reason. I also like the more vertical grip on the stock of the B14. But both seem to have great aftermarket support for a lefty.

I think the Bergara comes with a threaded barrel factory and the Tikka doesn’t which obviously makes adding a muzzle device easier since I plan on eventually suppressing the rifle.

I’m planning on around $1k for just the rifle, then save up a bit for a scope and rings. Hopefully purchasing in the next month or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Tell me what that pushed you to the T3x or B14 or anything that went into your decision.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:18:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#1]
I have 0 experience with the Bergara. I can say my sons 6.5 PRC Tikka shoots very well. Good enough that I keep threatening to drop it in a better stock for some long range work.

As far as caliber, unless you need to get a 308 for certain rules, 6.5 Creedmoor all day. Great bullets, brass and data for the handloader and great factory loads for the non handloader. Easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
As far as caliber, unless you need to get a 308 for certain rules, 6.5 Creedmoor all day. Great bullets, brass and data for the handloader and great factory loads for the non handloader. Easy to shoot.
View Quote

That’s kinda what has me leaning towards 6.5. Like I said, I’m not invested in either one as far as match grade ammo goes. And similar price per round for both calibers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot a few different of each gun.  The Bergaras seemed to shoot consistently better than the Tikkas.  All the Bergaras I've shot were B-14 HMRs and mostly 1/2 MOA guns, where-as the Tikkas were a Varmint and CTR and were 3/4 MOA guns in my experience.

They're both very accurate guns either way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
my 2cents I dont have a Bergara have shot them and liked them, I have a Tikka tac a1 20inch barrel in 308 it shoots better than I ever will <0.5MOA at 600yd (best grouping), 185gr FGMM, and rings steel at 1100yd same ammo. Rifle is now at WTO getting a switch lug installed and a 24inch 6.5creed barrel added so i can shoot both.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For 300 yd, the caliber conversation is  basically a wash unless you are shooting HIGH VOLUME where the 308 barrel life advantage will factor in.  If you plan on going substantially further with any regularity, get the 6.5 CM as it is generally easier to shoot at mid to long range.  Hit some gun shops and handle both models you are looking at to see if one feels better than the other.  Tikka rifles can also be had with threaded barrels, I wouldn't bother with a rifle that isn't threaded unless you hate brakes and cans.  You really can't go wrong with either make or chambering.  Good luck, it is fun!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#6]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
I've shot a few different of each gun.  The Bergaras seemed to shoot consistently better than the Tikkas.  All the Bergaras I've shot were B-14 HMRs and mostly 1/2 MOA guns, where-as the Tikkas were a Varmint and CTR and were 3/4 MOA guns in my experience.

View Quote

Either one sounds like I’ll be the limiting factor for sure.
Originally Posted By PeterNNH:
my 2cents I dont have a Bergara have shot them and liked them, I have a Tikka tac a1 20inch barrel in 308 it shoots better than I ever will <0.5MOA at 600yd (best grouping), 185gr FGMM, and rings steel at 1100yd same ammo. Rifle is now at WTO getting a switch lug installed and a 24inch 6.5creed barrel added so i can shoot both.
View Quote

Granted you’re shooting further than I have access too, at least for now, but swapping from 308 to 6.5 is kinda telling. Makes me lean more towards 6.5.
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
For 300 yd, the caliber conversation is  basically a wash unless you are shooting HIGH VOLUME where the 308 barrel life advantage will factor in.  If you plan on going substantially further with any regularity, get the 6.5 CM as it is generally easier to shoot at mid to long range.  Hit some gun shops and handle both models you are looking at to see if one feels better than the other.  Tikka rifles can also be had with threaded barrels, I wouldn't bother with a rifle that isn't threaded unless you hate brakes and cans.  You really can't go wrong with either make or chambering.  Good luck, it is fun!
View Quote

I’m not really concerned with barrel life. I figure if I’ve spent enough on ammo to warrant replacing it, then I’ve gotten my moneys worth, whether with 308 or a little sooner with 6.5. As for hands on, I got to handle a B14 that a buddy had but never got a chance to shoot it but I know I like the grip angle on the B14 from handling it. I can’t find anywhere with Tikkas in stock, I can have it ordered in, but same goes for the Bergara.

At this point, I’m kinda leaning towards the Bergara in 6.5 creedmoor. Part of what initially made me lean Tikka was the ability to swap barrels on my own, but then I realized I don’t plan on swapping barrels often and I’d end up sending it to a gunsmith either way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Get both, send me the 308 for safekeeping.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my Tikka.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:26:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#9]
Bergara all day.

I loved my B14 HMR so much I bought a Bergara wilderness terrain for my hunting rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Both consistently shoot 0.5-0.75 MOA 10 shot groups.

Shot this 0.4MOA 5 shot group last time I was out. Was experimenting with some loads. I have around 1600 rds through this barrel and still shooting lights out.

Attachment Attached File

Definitely get the 6.5CM. Same energy with better ballistics and half the recoil of 308 (and suppresses much, much better). Ammo is actually easier to find than 308 nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had problems with both therefor I probably won’t buy another rifle from either company again. Tikkas with ejection and feeding and Bergaras with accuracy. I’ve sent all three Bergaras I’ve owned back for shooting poorly out of the box, including one premier. They fixed all 3 rifles but it’s still annoying to spend 1-2K on a rifle and have to send it in right out of the gate because it shoots 4”+ groups. Bergara does have good customer service though where Tikka (Beretta) is non existent and if you even swap the stock your warranty is void unless you keep the old one to send it back in.

I also don’t like the shitty Tupperware stocks on the Tikkas, their fairly limited aftermarket support, and the fact the barrel are so damn slow or that they rust like crazy. The blued ones are terrible for rust and their SS models are the only stainless guns I’ve even had rust spots on.

I would look at the new Remingtons too, the new ones are really damn nice and the long range model has a lot of great features. It doesn’t have a DBM but you could have the stock inletted for one for not a lot of money or you could sell the factory stock and bottom metal for enough to pay for a KRG Bravo to drop it in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:05:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#11]
Not Bergara, at least not the cheaper models.  Between myself and two other buddies, we’ve been 3/3 for B-14 line guns shooting like dogshit.  The best group I could get out of mine was about a 1.25” 5 shot group.  This was through 10+ factory match loads as well as two rounds of load development with 3 different projectiles and 2 different powders.  The gun was also in a KRG chassis with a Timney trigger.

$700-$800 later and a month’s long trip to a quality bolt gun smith, it had a new Bartlein tube and was capable of 1/4 minute 5 shot groups with handloads when I do my part.  I’ve seen and heard of too many people sending guns back into Bergara for a rebarrel and just getting back the same or worse, so I wrote off going the warranty route.  

The factory bolt was machined horribly with bad chatter marks on the bolt face too.  Another couple hundred bucks on a Premier Pro bolt assembly and it’s finally good.

My recommendation?  Get a semi-custom action and a prefit barrel.  It may end up being a few hundred more expensive on the front end, but given the cost of ammo and the PITA of chasing accuracy issues or wasted time dealing with CS, you’ll be infinitely better off in the long run being able to focus on training and honing your skills.  Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Not Bergara, at least not the cheaper models.  Between myself and two other buddies, we’ve been 3/3 for B-14 line guns shooting like dogshit.  The best group I could get out of mine was about a 1.25” 5 shot group.  This was through 10+ factory match loads as well as two rounds of load development with 3 different projectiles and 2 different powders.  The gun was also in a KRG chassis with a Timney trigger.

$700-$800 later and a month’s long trip to a quality bolt gun smith, it had a new Bartlein tube and was capable of 1/4 minute 5 shot groups with handloads when I do my part.  I’ve seen and heard of too many people sending guns back into Bergara for a rebarrel and just getting back the same or worse, so I wrote off going the warranty route.  

The factory bolt was machined horribly with bad chatter marks on the bolt face too.  Another couple hundred bucks on a Premier Pro bolt assembly and it’s finally good.

My recommendation?  Get a semi-custom action and a prefit barrel.  It may end up being a few hundred more expensive on the front end, but given the cost of ammo and the PITA of chasing accuracy issues or wasted time dealing with CS, you’ll be infinitely better off in the long run being able to focus on training and honing your skills.  Just my $0.02.
View Quote

About the cheapest you're going to get a custom action with a prefit barrel is $2k. That's more than double what I paid for my Bergara B14 HMR. I've got an Origin Action with shouldered barrel that I spent $4k on and it shoots slightly better groups than my HMR.

Bergara has a warranty and MOA guarantee for a reason. If your gun does not live up to those guarantees and you don't send it back to the factory for repair you've got nobody to blame but yourself. I've sent back a bunch of guns/accessories over the last few decades and I've always been made hole, that's one of the things gun manufacturers really shine at.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

About the cheapest you're going to get a custom action with a prefit barrel is $2k. That's more than double what I paid for my Bergara B14 HMR. I've got an Origin Action with shouldered barrel that I spent $4k on and it shoots slightly better groups than my HMR.

Bergara has a warranty and MOA guarantee for a reason. If your gun does not live up to those guarantees and you don't send it back to the factory for repair you've got nobody to blame but yourself. I've sent back a bunch of guns/accessories over the last few decades and I've always been made hole, that's one of the things gun manufacturers really shine at.
View Quote

You can get an Origin and a Proof SS prefit for $1400 and depending on who you buy it from they’ll even bolt it together for you so you don’t even have to buy the tools. For $2K you can build a whole damn rifle in a KRG with a TT. It will be worlds better than a Bergara, even their premier line.

I keep hearing about these great Bergaras but it just hasn’t been my experience with the 3 I’ve bought. My most recent one shoots acceptably now but it’s still copper fouls like crazy and the bolt lug engagement is ass.

There’s just better shit out there for the money, but I’d still buy another one over a Tikka.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:10:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#14]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:

You can get an Origin and a Proof SS prefit for $1400 and depending on who you buy it from they’ll even bolt it together for you so you don’t even have to buy the tools. For $2K you can build a whole damn rifle in a KRG with a TT. It will be worlds better than a Bergara, even their premier line.

I keep hearing about these great Bergaras but it just hasn’t been my experience with the 3 I’ve bought. My most recent one shoots acceptably now but it’s still copper fouls like crazy and the bolt lug engagement is ass.

There’s just better shit out there for the money, but I’d still buy another one over a Tikka.
View Quote

That's the point I was trying to make. $2k is the cheapest you'll build a custom rifle. I paid $900 for my bergara and it shoots 0.4MOA as proven above. The Bergara comes with an accuracy guarantee, custom actions do not.

I realize it's not a custom rifle, but it's literally half the price and shoots just as well for 90% of people who actually have the ability to shoot sub MOA. For what it is, it's an excellent choice for most people who are not willing to spend more than $1k on a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:39:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

There is a documented track record of Bergara’s B-14 line of guns being a crapshoot in the accuracy department.  I have a personally observed sample size of 3 and accounts of the same issue online are numerous.  Hell, we’ve had a few here.

There are also more than a handful of accounts of people sending their guns back and getting back something that performs no better.  This is after weeks and months of shipping guns back, them getting repaired, and then having to get them back and set everything back up again.  We’re not even accounting for the potential wasted money in ammo spent trying to diagnose and sort out an issue, potentially more than once.  Plus your time and aggravation.

Guarantee or no, fuck all that.

Great, your sample size of one shoots .4 MOA groups (based off 1 target we’re able to see, mind you).  That doesn’t mean they all shoot like that and it’s definitely not a guarantee you won’t get a gun with a sewer pipe for a barrel that shoots your favorite factory load into 2”-3” groups.  

A PVA Solus barreled action can be had for $1150 and a KRG Bravo around $350-$400 depending on sales.  I’d be infinitely more confident in that setup than anything Bergara.

OP, you may only be wanting to spend $1k on the gun, but we are talking about a precision rifle here, where ammo isn’t cheap.  Spending a little more on the front end could very well end up saving money on the back end if you wind up having to chase down demons in your equipment, especially if you’re not experienced enough to be sure the issue isn’t you.

You’re more than welcome to make whatever choice you want, but it’s always good to have a full picture when making decisions like this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]

That's the point I was trying to make. $2k is the cheapest you'll build a custom rifle. I paid $900 for my bergara and it shoots 0.4MOA as proven above. The Bergara comes with an accuracy guarantee, custom actions do not.

I realize it's not a custom rifle, but it's literally half the price and shoots just as well for 90% of people who actually have the ability to shoot sub MOA. For what it is, it's an excellent choice for most people who are not willing to spend more than $1k on a rifle.
View Quote

And what about all the Bergaras that don’t shoot well? You have just as much of a likelihood of getting a tomato stake and then dealing with Bergara CS like I’ve had to on all 3 of their turds I’ve bought.

My first was an HMR 6.5 CM and it was the best shooting of the 3 out of the box but still only shot 1.5-2MOA. Bergara polished the chamber, lapped the lugs, and recrowned it and sent it back out because they were able to must a barely sub MOA 3 shot group. With match ammo and handloads it would shoot just barely under 1MOA most of the time, but sometimes not. 5 shots opened it well above MOA and that’s supposed to be a match rifle, it should shoot sub MOA for at least 5 shots so that’s crap.

I’m glad you like your single sample, but I’ll never buy another and I’ll never recommend one to anyone either because they’re quite honestly garbage. It may cost half of a custom, but it’s not even close to half the rifle of a custom. I’m still polishing my turd Sierra model because I can’t in good conscious sell this thing to someone that copper fouls so badly in just 10-20 rounds that the groups open up wildly.

It also doesn’t matter that the prefits don’t come with an accuracy guarantee. If you get one from Proof or any other company worth a shit they’ll stand behind it if it doesn’t shoot great. Considering that I’m 0/3 on Bergaras and my track record with prefits I can guarantee you that you’re far less likely to have an issue with a prefit than a Bergarbage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I’m leaning towards some sort of T3X in 6.5. I’ve found more bergara problem threads on Google since starting this thread. I’m gonna try and find a CTR or Varmint in stock somewhere. As of right now, it seems like all the LH models have been OOS for a while.

I don’t necessarily wanna drop the coin on semi custom barreled action just to end up not enjoying it. It seems that stock Tikka actions are pretty popular for a lot of folks builds anyway so starting with a Tikka and upgrading as time goes on seems to be a pretty middle ground way to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#18]
Im not going to argue a custom rifle is not worth the upgrade. I build my last rifle on an origin action and it's definitely a huge upgrade.

Attachment Attached File

Everyone has an opinion. You may be 0/3, but I'm 2/2 with Bergaras. There's an absolute shit ton of youtube videos singing their praises too. Negative confirmation bias is a thing, people usually only go online and talk about their negative experiences while there are tens of thousands of positive experiences that don't see the light of day.

There will certainly be outliers, but no business is going to make it offering an accuracy guarantee where accuracy less than that guarantee is a widespread issue. It's just not true on any large scale.

So I guess I agree with the general consensus in the fact that spend 3x the money and you'll get 3x the gun, but I have full confidence that bergara makes an exceptional rifle with a few outliers here and there. And just like proof standing behind their product, so does Bergara.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
Well I’m leaning towards some sort of T3X in 6.5. I’ve found more bergara problem threads on Google since starting this thread. I’m gonna try and find a CTR or Varmint in stock somewhere. As of right now, it seems like all the LH models have been OOS for a while.

I don’t necessarily wanna drop the coin on semi custom barreled action just to end up not enjoying it. It seems that stock Tikka actions are pretty popular for a lot of folks builds anyway so starting with a Tikka and upgrading as time goes on seems to be a pretty middle ground way to go.
View Quote

If you are not sure that you will enjoy it but still want to buy something to try out, maybe pick up a cheap closeout gen 1 Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and put a ~$20 stock saddle on it to correct their piss-poor drop comb.  Either put a scope on there that you already have or pick up an SWFA combo that they invariably have on sale for holidays.  They have a great reputation for shooting well even though they are rough around the edges.  I bought mine as a cheap deer gun but holy shit that thing hammers with both factory and hand loads.  Then you aren't out much money if you don't enjoy it, which I just cannot imagine being the case.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#20]
6.5 tikka if you don't want to mess with anything. Tikka 22-250 rechambered to 22 creed is better ballistics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:

If you are not sure that you will enjoy it but still want to buy something to try out, maybe pick up a cheap closeout gen 1 Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and put a ~$20 stock saddle on it to correct their piss-poor drop comb.  Either put a scope on there that you already have or pick up an SWFA combo that they invariably have on sale for holidays.  They have a great reputation for shooting well even though they are rough around the edges.  I bought mine as a cheap deer gun but holy shit that thing hammers with both factory and hand loads.  Then you aren't out much money if you don't enjoy it, which I just cannot imagine being the case.
View Quote

I mean I don’t expect to not like it. I love shooting in general. Never tried a form of shooting I didn’t like and just decided I wanna branch out. So I kinda wanna go with something that lends itself to growing with as opposed to having to buy a new rifle if I enjoy what I’m doing but I’m unhappy with the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: am6186] [#22]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:

I mean I don’t expect to not like it. I love shooting in general. Never tried a form of shooting I didn’t like and just decided I wanna branch out. So I kinda wanna go with something that lends itself to growing with as opposed to having to buy a new rifle if I enjoy what I’m doing but I’m unhappy with the rifle.
View Quote

I bought one of these since I am right handed but shoot rifles left. https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-TAC-A1-LH-65-Creedmoor-24-1-8-Rifle-JRTAC482L.aspx in 6.5. Got it for 1800 during COVID. Topped with a Nightforce 5-25x ATACR I did this the second trip to the range with it. Seated, rear bag and front was off the bipod. Shooting Factory 140 ELD Hornady 5 Shot Group at 100.

Attachment Attached File

In my honest opinion for the money I spent, without going down the rabbit hole, I am completely satisfied.

Edited to Add: This was after I removed the factory "brake" and put a ThunderBeast Arms 7.62 Ultra7 Gen 2 (the above group was shot suppressed) and after zeroing.

Edited to Add2: My current girlfriend who had never shot a rifle before shot a .75 3 shot group with the same set up at 100. I personally didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of chassis this, chassis that, so wanted a turn key solution under 2k for the rifle, and under 3k for the glass. EuroOptic hooked me up on both fronts, the optic was an "open box" but it still had the inspection sticker on it.... saved me 800 off the price.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

View Quote

I'm not a proponent of either, but I've owned a few Tikka and shot 4 or 5 bergeras.  I would say, in my experience, that the Tikka will shoot better(slightly) be smoother, and also easier to get a barrel for(many prefit options).  Only real negative of Tikka is having to deal with Beretta for warranty repair.  Luckily, Tikka don't have as many issues as bergera has had.  There was a recent thread on snipershide about bergera, seems a few guys have gotten lemons lately.

As far as caliber, if 300yds is all you got local, I'd be tempted to do a 223 bolt.  Cheaper to shoot, provides a challenge and can also work well to 800+ if you get a 7-8tw.  I've got a proof steel 7.5tw 223 wylde on a nuke action, 75gr eldm@3000fps us easy money at 900yds
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Lol, Patriot Valley Arms solus barreled action deal is 1150.  The solus action is superior by a mile to a Tikka or bergera.  I bought one to try the action and pva spins up great barrels.  22creed is slinging 75gr eldm@3430fps into the .3s and took all of 5 weeks to get after I ordered it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#26]
My son has a Bergara HMR in 6.5 PRC (first Bergara either of us has owned).  It's easily 1/2 MOA gun.  Thing is a lazer beam.  Is it as sexy and slick as a custom, no.  I'd upgrade the trigger, although the stock isn't bad.  The HMR stock is OK, but I'd prefer to drop it into a nicer chassis, but it's a darn good rifle for off the shelf IMHO.

One in 6.5CM would be a good rifle.  If you are wanting to really reach out, then 6.5 PRC gives you a little more oomph.  Recoil without a brake on the PRC isn't bad either.  Could easily shoot it all day.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#27]
Looks like you kicked the ant nest.  

My experience is that the CTR is about a .6-.7 gun in my hands. The Bergara .300 PRC I shot is capable of shooting tiny little 3 round groups, like .3’s. I’ve shot multiple HMR’s in 6.5C which shot very well, approaching .5” 5 shot groups. But the .300 WM HMR I’ve shot and reloaded for WILL NOT GROUP. 2-4 MOA with Berger VLDs and Sierras. It can approach an inch with Hornady Outfitter factory ammo but it will not cooperate otherwise. The only rifle that ever defeated me.

They are somewhat a push for accuracy.

Pros of the CTR: the CTR magazine system is crazy long so you can handload to very long cartridge lengths; 45° bolt throw is nice; bolt travel is smooth as glass; pretty decent adjustable trigger from the factory; some aftermarket support; people rarely complain a Tikka has bad accuracy. If you want a nice range toy, you can upgrade to an MCarbo trigger spring and KRG Bravo chassis while still keeping the CTR mags if you want, or switch to AICS. The Sterk bolt handle is nice too.

HMR: amazing 700 pattern triggers can be installed like TT, most Bergara are accurate; left hand choices available; wilderness or premier models offer nice packages as the base B14 HMR rusts if you look at it for too long.

You can’t go wrong with either.

ETA to this novel- 6.5 is superior to .308 in almost every way for a target gun. My advice is you can find 6mm Creed and 6.5 Creed readily and affordably. They both kill hogs and whitetail if that’s your bag, too. .308 is a harder hitting hunting round, but for target shooting all you get is more recoil and maybe slightly cheaper ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:36:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#28]
Best I could get out of my Bergara was around a 1 inch average. That's with ammo it likes. Some match ammo was around 2-2.5 inches. Very disappointed with it. However I'm glad I got it to sometimes shoot an inch so I don't feel so bad about selling a lemon to someone.

The same ammo in my Solus PVA rifle, with the same optic, mounts, and chasis.

Attachment Attached File

Between the two I'd go with Tikka. I'm done with Bergara.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:49:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#29]

The Bergara comes with an accuracy guarantee, custom actions do not.
View Quote

Their accuracy guarantee means nothing. I could take my 4 moa AK and make a three round group touch if you let me shoot enough groups. 3 round groups are not statistically significant, especially when there's no limit on how many you can shoot before cherry picking. If that were the case I guess all my bolts are .1 moa rifles.

Not saying there aren't bergaras that are doing well, i know some of them are, but there's alot of people getting 2moa Bergaras as well. They seem to have a consistancy issue with their barrels. It's becoming pretty easy to find someone with a bad experience.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had both.  Here are my experiences:

First, I regret purchasing a left hand action on my Tikka T3x Lite in .308.  Having used right hand actions all my life, the left hand action brought no functional benefit.  More importantly, it was very, very limited in stock and chassis availability in left hand.  As reported above, the cheap plastic stock in the T3x begs for replacement.  The Lite model barrel is great for carry and one or two shots at game, but too narrow for anything else.  The muzzle was so narrow that my gunsmith could not thread the barrel for the typical 5/8-24 used on .30 cal rifles.  He could only fit 1/2-28 threads and bore out the smaller muzzle brake for use with .30.  The action was very smooth, but the above issues caused me to eventually sell it.  

My right hand Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmore has been extremely accurate; especially with Berger projectiles.  It is way too heavy for anything other than stationary use from a bench or blind.  Being a Rem 700 variant, it takes many accessories including triggers.  Factory threads take muzzle devices including suppressors reliably.  Since 6.5CM is a short action, you may experience magazine length limits if you choose to load some of the newer ultra-long very high BC projectiles.  Depending upon your intended use, it's a pretty good value for under $1k.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Whoo there’s some strong opinions on this lol I think after reading and rereading everyone’s comments and more reading online, I’m leaning towards the CTR. I’ve seen plenty of pros listed for both rifles, but the one consistent con that keeps popping up for Bergara is inconsistent accuracy. I’d rather deal with a cheapish feeling stock than accuracy issues.

As for those saying get a right handed rifle, not a chance. It was worth sticking with normal rifles as far as ARs go but if I’m gonna have a bolt gun, it’s gonna be a lefty action. So (unfortunately?) no Solus for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I no longer own a bergara. But own several tikkas, I love them, great guns.

I would get the 6 5. It will do anything the 308 can do but the reverse is not true.

It's a more versatile cartridge
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#33]
am6186 could be my long lost twin.  Right handed but shoot rifles left handed.  Bought a LH Tikka TAC A1 on sale from Eurooptic.  Shoot it suppressed (DA Nomad TI) off a bipod and rear bag and get exactly the same results - .5" groups at 100.  Actually had it out at the range a couple of days ago.  Other than my first group, where my first shot was off to the right I was getting pretty consistent .5" or .6" groups at 100 using Hornady factory ammo.

So yeah, accuracy is very good.  Like the ergonomics of the stock, which folds making the gun a little easier to transport.  The stock trigger is good, but not great (a little mushy).  But that's a cheap and easy fix - I think there's a $10 spring you can swap in that enables you to reduce the trigger pull down to less than a pound.  I haven't bothered because the stock trigger basically works for me.  And absolutely, go 6.5 Creedmore rather than .308.  Ballistics are better, particularly once you get out to 600 and beyond.  Less recoil (which is key if you don't have a spotter and are shooting long range).  And in my experience Hornady factory ammo is excellent if you don't reload.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#34]
im not a pro by any means and have never shot a tikka however my HMR PRO is the most accurate rifle i have shot

sub .5 multiple 5 shot groups 6.5 creed. I just had the barrel cut to 18" to make it handier with a can

granted mine is a PRO that cost 1500-1600 so a little over your budget but i believe the cost is worth it.
Top Top