Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2024 7:06:49 PM EDT
I currently have a Strike Eagle 5-25 on my .308. Absolutely love the optic. Clarity, features, nice turrets, zero stop...I find all amazing features and quality for the price.

I'm thinking of moving that optic to another rifle and upgrading the .308. What upgrade would be your next-in-line optic that would have the same or similar magnification and features while keeping the Strike Eagles budget price point in mind? (Obviously the upgrade would cost more.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smurgeon] [#1]
Used Vortex Razor Gen II, used Nightforce ATACR or used Kahles.  

I am going to give you advice I wish I got when I first started buying glass.  Save up and buy the best you can.  It will be worth it in the long run.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#2]
The Vortex PST gen2 would be a nice upgrade. Rumor has it there’s a pst gen3 coming out soon. Razor if you can afford one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
I currently have a Strike Eagle 5-25 on my .308. Absolutely love the optic. Clarity, features, nice turrets, zero stop...I find all amazing features and quality for the price.

I'm thinking of moving that optic to another rifle and upgrading the .308. What upgrade would be your next-in-line optic that would have the same or similar magnification and features while keeping the Strike Eagles budget price point in mind? (Obviously the upgrade would cost more.)
View Quote

It depends.  What is your motivation for the "upgrade"?  Despite your positive opinion of the optic, obviously, you find something lacking with it to some degree...  what is that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By INMY01TA:
The Vortex PST gen2 would be a nice upgrade. Rumor has it there’s a pst gen3 coming out soon. Razor if you can afford one.
View Quote

I would normally agree and I own the Viper 5-25x but the SE has better features like locking turrets, 34mm tube, and the glass is pretty good.  The glass is not Viper good but it is still really good and it is way better than the previous SE glass.

The Viper really does need an update to include the features that are on the Strike Eagle.  As the Viper PST2 sits though they are really good scopes just they could use some updating.  I survive just fine without the features included on the SE with my Viper PST2 optics but the features would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:31:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#5]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

I would normally agree and I own the Viper 5-25x but the SE has better features like locking turrets, 34mm tube, and the glass is pretty good.  The glass is not Viper good but it is still really good and it is way better than the previous SE glass.

The Viper really does need an update to include the features that are on the Strike Eagle.  As the Viper PST2 sits though they are really good scopes just they could use some updating.  I survive just fine without the features included on the SE with my Viper PST2 optics but the features would be nice to have.
View Quote

I have to disagree here. When I was shopping LPVO’s I looked through the SE and the glass wasn’t even close to the PST2. I’m sure the SE 5-25 wasn’t much better. Went with the PST2 1-6. For 5-25 glass under $1k there isn’t anything that’ll beat it glasswise, let alone with locking turrets which are no dealbreaker for me. I just sold my PST2 5-25 and got the black Razor3 and the glass on the PST2 was pretty damn close.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crwdplsr] [#6]
Leupold Mark5

Or

Nightforce Atacr
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe wait on reviews for the Viper HD that was released today….

As to the glass on the PST2 to a Gen3 Razor….they aren’t that similar. The Gen3 is noticeably better, especially in poor conditions. One competes in the 750-1000$ market, the other in the 2400-3500$ range.

If you can’t tell a difference, your wallet will thank you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By crwdplsr:
Leupold Mark5

Or

Nightforce Atacr
View Quote

I just got a Mark 5 and I'm really happy with it.  I went with it over the Atacr to save weight.  Love everything about it so far.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
If your budget means you’re looking at ATACRs and Razors, add the Zeiss LRP to the mix.

I got a smoking deal on an LRP S3 4-25x and it is a fantastic scope.
Top Top