Appleseed? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What state do you live in?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
MN. Looks like east Wisco or south Iowa are closest for any kind of distance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing about Appleseed is I don't have a 10 shot rimfire repeater, so I cannot play their game.  

I would like to attend one of these but am not going to buy a new rifle just to do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
There are quite a few (most maybe?) that allow centerfire rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Er_Mah_Gerd:
There are quite a few (most maybe?) that allow centerfire rifles.
View Quote

Ah, yes, I was focused only on the rimfire version because there are few rimfire shoots around here.  

Centerfire matches are easy to come by and I am geared up for those.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure that the range where the Appleseed is taking place allows centerfire.

I've never been to an AS that didn't allow centerfire, but if it's going to be held in a rimfire-only setting......

*If I wasn't moving out of state in the next couple of weeks, I'd attend the local April shoot just to see if I could score a patch with my .300 Blk SBR

Attachment Attached File

(already patched with an AR M4gery.....to be honest, it felt like a waste of $$$, blasting 5.56 at 25m when I have purpose-built rimfires and something north of 20K rounds of .22LR)
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Fighter only wants to use that SBR to deafen everyone around him.

Typically it will say on the Appleseed events page if the event is rimfire only or if centerfire is allowed.  If not, try to contact the shoot boss and ask if you can bring a centerfire.  It's more about the range than it is the program.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]
As I said, I was after a RIMFIRE event.  

They are relatively scarce around here.  There are a very few Rimfire Sporter events but, like Appleseed, I don't own a qualifying rifle.  

There are rimfire prone matches but they are rare - the next is in June, then October.  

I was thinking Appleseed might be that but I now see I am just interfering in this thread, so I'm outta here.        
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

They are relatively scarce around here.  There are a very few Rimfire Sporter events but, like Appleseed, I don't own a qualifying rifle.  

There are rimfire prone matches but they are rare - the next is in June, then October.  

I was thinking Appleseed might be that but I now see I am just interfering in this thread, so I'm outta here.        
View Quote

@Trollslayer

You want a rimfire event but don't have a rimfire semi-auto rifle?  

What kind of 22lr rifle do you have?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Assuming he wants to use a bolt gun or single shot/ pump.

Not sure it would be prudent if its being timed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Plenty of people have scored Rifleman with bolt actions.  One of our own Arfcommers scored a perfect 250 with an iron sighted bolt rifle and posted it in the Industry/Appleseed forum.

*I* can't do it......but it *can* be done.

@trollslayer
Sorry friend--didn't mean to offend or run anyone off.  We're just shooting the shit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#12]
Originally Posted By FighterFixer1:  
@trollslayer
Sorry friend--didn't mean to offend or run anyone off.  We're just shooting the shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FighterFixer1:  
@trollslayer

I popped back in to the thread because of the notifications.  

I don't feel "chased off", guys.  I was looking for an event I could attend, shoot and have some fun.  I stayed long enough to see if Appleseed was what I was looking for.  It is not, so I left.

No offense intended by me and certainly none taken.

Originally Posted By Deuskid:  You want a rimfire event but don't have a rimfire semi-auto rifle?

Honestly, this made me chuckle.  

I have two rimfire rifles.  One is a Remington Model 1937, the other is a custom "tube gun" with an Anschutz barreled action.  Both are turn bolt action.

Maybe when I retire I will start a series of rimfire matches of the type I am after.  It would be "recreational, come out and shoot".  It would allow all rifles and sights and positions (including bipods and benchrests), and course of fire would not benefit nor deprecate any rifle type.  This is sometimes referred to as "run what you brung".  

Show up on the firing line, shoot the match and scores get posted on a white board.  

How does 50 rounds for record in approximately one hour with unlimited sighters sound, too much?

If you are there for another event/match but don't have a rimfire rifle, you can borrow a Club rifle to shoot the match.  Heck, you can borrow mine, if you want.

Oh well, I guess I'm just day dreaming.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

@Trollslayer

You want a rimfire event but don't have a rimfire semi-auto rifle?  

What kind of 22lr rifle do you have?
View Quote

I guess I am confused...don't worry.... doesn't take much....

I read one of the 25 yard rimfire ONLY events that is local to me which in turn brought me to this sub-forum.  I looked at the recommended and highly encouraged gear list...and be prepared for anything.  I didn't see much about distances and what to expect besides....be prepared for anything.

Based on another poster in this thread it appears there is a time limit, may I ask what this is or is it G14 classified information.  I mean I have been on the USMC KD course of fire making me go from standing to kneeling or prone and blast 10 rounds using 2 mags of 5 rounds each in under 60/70 seconds.  Usually I had time to spare but will say with a bolt gun it would be a bit more difficult but not impossible.

I have a CMMG semi that I might try it with but don't expect great results (this is a dedicated 22LR gun and not just a conversion bolt in a 5.56 gun...never been fired... ).  I am looking at purchasing a nice bolt gun to train with similar to some of the other things I am wanting to get into.  I could really care less if I win or how well I do in an Appleseed event, I just want to regain/retrain for some of the skills I probably lost and then stuff I will have to adapt to because I am not in my 20's anymore.  This seemed to be more the focus is training, of course being competitive is good but not my current priority.

The other question is what are average velocities using 22LR.  At my normal range I have a limit of 1300 FPS max velocity for most events.  I know there are a ton of ammo types but am out of my element on this question as I haven't ever looked into it.  I guess in the end the max barrel length before you go over this limit for standard velocity and high velocity ammo, more concerned with bolt gun speeds but both would be helpful.  Hate to buy a barrel one inch too long for what I might want to use regularly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:42:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FighterFixer1] [#14]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

I guess I am confused...don't worry.... doesn't take much.......

Based on another poster in this thread it appears there is a time limit, may I ask what this is or is it G14 classified information.  I mean I have been on the USMC KD course of fire making me go from standing to kneeling or prone and blast 10 rounds using 2 mags of 5 rounds each in under 60/70 seconds.  Usually I had time to spare but will say with a bolt gun it would be a bit more difficult but not impossible.

There are 4 courses of fire in a 25m Appleseed rimfire event.  

Standing:  Start from standing position. You'll get the command to load when the line is situated. You'll get the 'fire' command when the timer starts. 10 rounds (no magazine changes) within 2 minutes.  1 target.  50 points possible.

Standing to sitting/kneeling:  Start from standing and drop to sitting/kneeling before inserting your mag.  There is no 'load' command, only the 'fire' command.  10 rounds.  First mag is 2 rounds, swap mags and fire the other 8 within 55 seconds.  2 targets with 5 rounds each.  50 points possible.

Standing to prone: Start from standing and drop to prone before inserting your mag.  There is no 'load' command, only 'fire'.  10 rounds. First mag is 2 rounds, swap mags and fire the remaining 8 within 65 seconds. 3 targets.  3 shots on the first 2, 4 shots on the third. 50 points possible

Prone:  10 rounds.  Start in prone.  You'll get the command to load when the line is situated and the 'fire' command when the timer starts. No mag changes.   You have 5 minutes for this stage.  4 targets.  2 shots on #1 and #2.  3 shots on #3 and #4.  The scores for this stage are doubled, so if you shoot a perfect 50, your score is 100.

I have a CMMG semi that I might try it with but don't expect great results (this is a dedicated 22LR gun and not just a conversion bolt in a 5.56 gun...never been fired... ).  I am looking at purchasing a nice bolt gun to train with similar to some of the other things I am wanting to get into.  I could really care less if I win or how well I do in an Appleseed event, I just want to regain/retrain for some of the skills I probably lost and then stuff I will have to adapt to because I am not in my 20's anymore.  This seemed to be more the focus is training, of course being competitive is good but not my current priority.

The CMMG should be fine.  Just take it out and verify that it's capable of decent accuracy with your ammo and that it can run a few hundred rounds without choking.

The other question is what are average velocities using 22LR.  At my normal range I have a limit of 1300 FPS max velocity for most events.  I know there are a ton of ammo types but am out of my element on this question as I haven't ever looked into it.  I guess in the end the max barrel length before you go over this limit for standard velocity and high velocity ammo, more concerned with bolt gun speeds but both would be helpful.  Hate to buy a barrel one inch too long for what I might want to use regularly.

Appleseed doesn't have any velocity requirements that I'm aware of.  If you're shooting a semi, you'll need enough energy to cycle the bolt reliably.  If you're shooting a bolt gun, you only need enough oomph to reach the target.  Any velocity limits would most likely be individual range specific rules.  I typically run CCI SV or Norma TAC22 in semi and bolt guns.  Both run about 1150 FPS.  *Something I've learned over the years is that the slower ammo tends to be more accurate in most guns......I don't know why but I suspect its because it never has to cross the trans-sonic threshold.  I also found that I can go a lot further between barrel cleanings with the slower stuff due to less lead depositing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]
If that CMMG is like the drop in kit that I have, I'm not sure it would be accurate enough.   Go shoot it off a bench if you can, and see if it gives you nice tight groups.  Mine is not very good.  It's also old, and I use it in a rifle with an older 14.5 inch barrel.   It may be better for you if you have a better barrel than my old junker.  I've never tried my kit in a better rifle.  

I use CCI SV in my Appleseed rifle.  At 25meters it is plenty accurate and fast, and it will reliably cycle my 10/22 no matter how much I neglect it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deuskid] [#16]
my bad

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Just tested my 3 10/22s and they fed flawlessly.

Next weekend is our Appleseed event.  

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Looking forward to it!
View Quote

You are going to have a great time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Looking forward to it!
View Quote

Let us know how it went once you have recovered.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
@intheburbs
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

@abnk

Que?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Originally Posted By abnk:
@intheburbs

@abnk

Que?

Just drawing your attention to an Appleseed thread.  Given your experience, I thought you may have insight to offer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Topper1:

View Quote

@intheburbs
@Topper1
@all

All 4 of us had a great time.  We all improved measurably thoughout Sat and Sun morning.  

Had to end around 2pm Su because of heavy thunderstorms or I think one or two of us might have made rifleman [but then again maybe not also ]

We now have 3 20something enthused shooters to have joined our ranks.  

I'm definitely going back.  

I did end up with raw elbows and a wear sore on my left wrist from the sling.  I've already ordered elbow pads and will wear a wrist sweat band next time I attend.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#25]

@intheburbs
@Topper1
@all

All 4 of us had a great time.  We all improved measurably thoughout Sat and Sun morning.  

Had to end around 2pm Su because of heavy thunderstorms or I think one or two of us might have made rifleman [but then again maybe not also ]

I did end up with raw elbows and a wear sore on my left wrist from the sling.  I've already ordered elbow pads and will wear a wrist sweat band next time I attend.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Topper1:

@intheburbs
@Topper1
@all

Sounds like it went well for you all except the weather. A lot of your questions were answered and you can prepare for the next one.

Good job on all accounts
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

View Quote

AS staff usually bring rf rifles for loaners incase a student rifle shitsthebed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Appleseed? (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top