Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you how that’s gonna go. One will be faster and one will ring steel harder.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
This thing still seems to be vaporware.  Kind of surprised it hasn't been in anyone's hands being tested before release, and is not in anyone's hands being tested now.  

All the interweb articles and videos I've found so far are just regurgitating Hornady stuff from almost two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:
This thing still seems to be vaporware.  Kind of surprised it hasn't been in anyone's hands being tested before release, and is not in anyone's hands being tested now.  

All the interweb articles and videos I've found so far are just regurgitating Hornady stuff from almost two weeks ago.
View Quote

It's two weeks. Give it some time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I can tell you how that’s gonna go. One will be faster and one will ring steel harder.
View Quote

I’ll go with harder and less drift… need to look at the ballistics.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how this will compare to .22 creedmore
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
I wonder how this will compare to .22 creedmore
View Quote

Significantly slower. Grendel and Creedmoor are quite a ways apart.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

I’ll go with harder and less drift… need to look at the ballistics.
View Quote

The 22ARC will likely have less drift, and slightly less energy.

My 224Valkyrie has very similar ballistics as the 6arc with 107/108’s. The 22ARC can push those same bullets a bit faster.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

The 22ARC will likely have less drift, and slightly less energy.

My 224Valkyrie has very similar ballistics as the 6arc with 107/108’s. The 22ARC can push those same bullets a bit faster.
View Quote

Thanks.

Now if they can figure out how to get brass to the market I’ll be happy. Still waiting on 6Arc from starline. May have to pay the higher price and buy elsewhere.

If the 22 Arc has the same supply issues it will be a tough sell for me. If it’s readily available I always have the parts waiting for a barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Thanks.

Now if they can figure out how to get brass to the market I’ll be happy. Still waiting on 6Arc from starline. May have to pay the higher price and buy elsewhere.

If the 22 Arc has the same supply issues it will be a tough sell for me. If it’s readily available I always have the parts waiting for a barrel.
View Quote

Should be able to size down 6.5g brass for the 22ARC in a pinch if needed.

I’m just happy I lucked into some H4895 yesterday. That stuff is magic with the 224Valkyrie; I assume I’ll have great results with a 22ARC using that as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems Hornady has the dies available.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The .22 ARC is basically the .22 Grendel / .224 Predator. Hornady's reamer specs allow for 40 thousandths more freebore. Unlike the 6mm ARC, the .22 ARC is a necked down 6.5 Grendel. Sizing can be done in one pull with the Hornady .22 ARC FL die and plenty of lube. The sized cartridge fits and shoots in a .22 Grendel chambered barrel. Up River Precision and Justin at RMR Bullets have been building/shooting and handloading the .22 Grendel for a long time, as have others. It's a proven cartridge with both heavy and light projectiles (depending on twist).

We just started putting together and shooting 8 different AR15s with 1:8" twist barrels in .22 Grendel. I am using the Hornady .22 ARC FL dies to size Starline 6.5 Grendel brass. We started with 53 grain VMaxs, but will be using everything up to 69 grain.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Seems Hornady has the dies available.
View Quote

A few vendors are showing the Hornady Factory 88gr ammo in stock.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Any lead on barrels?

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Proof has barrels on pre-order - supposedly to be released mid-December

Sgt of Arms has a 22 ARC barrel package w/ headspaced bolt available to order

Craddock Precision has it listed as an available caliber to order

I'm sure more makers will come on board as reamers and ammo come available in the coming weeks.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
From Hornady's Site:
22 ARC Partners (Please check back as new 22 ARC partners will be added weekly).
Aero Precision
Altus Shooting Solutions
Ballistic Advantage
Craddock Precision
Christensen Arms
Cobalt Kinetics
Desert Precision Gunworks
Faxon
GA Precision
HS Precision
Impact Precision
IWI
JP Rifles
Kelbly's
MOA Rifles
Nemo Arms
ODIN Works
Patriot Valley Arms
Preferred Barrels
Proof Research
Radix Precision
Rise Armament
SATERN Barrels
Seekins Precision
Straight Jacket Armory
Stuteville Precision
TS Customs
Twisted Precision Rifles
Uintah Precision
West Texas Ordnance Inc.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm

Just what I need.  I just finished my 6mm Arc build and now this
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#17]
22 ARC loading data now on the Hodgden loading data website.

Hodgdon 22 ARC Loading Data

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Cutaways of the new Hornady ELD-VT (Extremely Low Drag Varmint/Target) projectiles. The left is the 62 grain .224" caliber and the right is the 80 grain .243"/6mm caliber projectiles. One of the design features is the "air gap" behind the tip. Hornady states this on their website (Hornady.com):  --"Upon impact, the polymer tip drives rearward through the large air gap and into the bullet core, causing rapid and dramatic fragmentation, even at low velocity."--

We will have more information and field testing with these projectiles in numerous different cartridges.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Varmint-Hunter:
Cutaways of the new Hornady ELD-VT (Extremely Low Drag Varmint/Target) projectiles. The left is the 62 grain .224" caliber and the right is the 80 grain .243"/6mm caliber projectiles. One of the design features is the "air gap" behind the tip. Hornady states this on their website (Hornady.com):  --"Upon impact, the polymer tip drives rearward through the large air gap and into the bullet core, causing rapid and dramatic fragmentation, even at low velocity."--

We will have more information and field testing with these projectiles in numerous different cartridges.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52158/IMG_20231218_184153_640_jpg-3064133.JPG

View Quote

Now they just need a bonded core version for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I suspect it’ll get the 80gr ELD-X at some point, or a new version of that. Hornady doesn’t like to bond bullets as that makes them less accurate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I suspect it’ll get the 80gr ELD-X at some point, or a new version of that. Hornady doesn’t like to bond bullets as that makes them less accurate.
View Quote

Don’t they have a few GMX bullets they could throw in? In the bigger calibers they seem to have a decent rep.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Any GMX they have in 224 yet is meant for an AR. I imagine they may develop a new one at some point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#23]
If you're wondering what the 62 grain ELD-VT does to a coyote's spine at 185 yards:

First Coyote with the 22 ARC and Hornady 62 Grain ELD-VT Bullets - Educational Performance Video

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Varmint-Hunter:
If you're wondering what the 62 grain ELD-VT does to a coyote's spine at 185 yards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgqpsdCrUJw

View Quote

Wow.
That would be fun on a prairie dog town.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:40:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:

Wow.
That would be fun on a prairie dog town.
View Quote
It looks like it will be very explosive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Rainier has started listing 22 ARC barrels. Craddock precision has launched their economy version (and mostly in stock without long wait times) with their Ready to Rock series (Rock Creek blanks). Craddock has 18 and 20” versions in the RTR line, but you can get a Bartlein in longer lengths, but they are a few hundred more.

My 22” Rainier Ultramatch should arrive Monday; hopefully I’ll get to test it out next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Rainier has started listing 22 ARC barrels. Craddock precision has launched their economy version (and mostly in stock without long wait times) with their Ready to Rock series (Rock Creek blanks). Craddock has 18 and 20” versions in the RTR line, but you can get a Bartlein in longer lengths, but they are a few hundred more.

My 22” Rainier Ultramatch should arrive Monday; hopefully I’ll get to test it out next weekend.
View Quote

Should be interesting. Still waiting for my Craddock 6Arc barrel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cviss] [#28]
I was a rso yesterday at a prs match ..  

Guy was running one had seems to a flat shooter.  

Brass is hard to find he made sure found every piece.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Tried to look it up but... isnt a 22 ARC just a rebranded .220 Russian literally? or does it have a different shoulder or something? Thats the parent case.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By army11b:
Tried to look it up but... isnt a 22 ARC just a rebranded .220 Russian literally? or does it have a different shoulder or something? Thats the parent case.
View Quote

The case head is all they have in common. Even the land and groove diameters are different.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Only had time for a single group today, which doesn’t really mean anything, but hopefully it indicates some level of potential.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Im going to hold off for now, Ive got a grendel and a 6 arc.  It does have my interest.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top