Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#1]
Using Sip & Feast's NY-Style pizza dough recipe as a base I made a half-recipe and reduced the hydration from 64% to 60%.

At that hydration rate the dough was super-easy to work with. Soft and silky with very little to no stickiness (yay!).

2 dough balls went into the fridge for a 60-hour cold ferment.

407 grams King Arthur Bread Flour
244 grams water
1.5 grams instant yeast (1/2 teaspoon)
8 grams salt (I used kosher salt)
5 grams sugar (1-1/8 teaspoons)
13.5 grams olive oil (1 Tablespoon)

Using these amounts I was able to make two 14" pizzas. If you're good enough spin out two 16" pies I salute you!

Results next post!

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Using Sip & Feast's recipe for NY-Style pizza I halved the recipe and lowered the hydration from 64% to 60%. Cold fermented for 60 hours and brought out for two hours prior to stretching/topping/baking (500F on a pizza stone). Results were excellent. I think 60% hydration might just be the sweet spot for NY-style 'rounds'.

Pizza A: LOL this one I call "The Jersey Shore". Meatballs and anchovies.

Pizza B: Standard NY-style cheese

Sauce is a 28 oz. can of all purpose crushed tomatoes (Aldi) with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 TBS tomato paste for thickening. Cheese for both was 8 oz. of Walmart's Great Value part-skim Mozzarella (the whole milk-style block NOT 'rubber mozz'). Cheese was semi-frozen then grated. Both pies sprinkled with oregano.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:46:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#3]
Local Aldi has Hormel "Cup & Crisp" pepperoni so I purchase two packages. Will review when I use them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#4]
Great recipe for not only the breadsticks, but use it for the pizza crust as well.

https://simplyhomecooked.com/wprm_print/27226#

Couple tips I learned after trying it a few times...

Once everything is mixed up, roll out the dough immediately and cut to fit pan.  I used a smaller 13" x 8" pan for the breadsticks and had plenty to make the sticks as well as the pizza.  The dough for the sticks started out at 1/4" thick and 1/16" for the pizza.  I then let the dough sit for a few hours before baking.  Both raised over double the starting thickness.

I didn't mix up the breadstick herbed butter until after everything was baked and cooling off.  Make sure is that you use garlic POWDER and not the garlic salt that I grabbed the first time.  

One thing I've learned over the last few months is that pre-warming my mixing bowl with hot water is making the dough rise a lot better than not going it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Current recipe doesn't include sugar, yet turns out great and neighbors insist I need to take orders anytime I cook pizza.

What does the sugar do for the dough?

Current recipe.

KR 12.7% Flour 305.2g
Water    186.2g
Yeast   1.2g
Salt    5.6g
oil      .5 tsp
Malt   2g

No Sugar
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:43:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamiltbl2] [#6]
I use molasses instead of sugar. Gives a darker crust.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top