BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
@Concentricity
Chances are your 'friend' just wanted to let you know he was still around. He probably won't be back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
In home wireless security cameras are dirt cheap now. In the future if any of you have the same article of furniture being moved on a consistent basis or other repetitive supernatural happenings it's time to make that poltergeist a star and you some money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:
In home wireless security cameras are dirt cheap now. In the future if any of you have the same article of furniture being moved on a consistent basis or other repetitive supernatural happenings it's time to make that poltergeist a star and you some money.
View Quote
noone would believe the footage, too easy to fake
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dino:
View Quote

Especially with the shit sensors in those cameras
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife died in my kids bedroom.  Just over a year ago.  The kids (twins), who were two and a half at the time, were moved to an upstairs bedroom while she was on home hospice (ovarian cancer).  The kids bedroom was ground level and it's a small house built in 1900 so it was the practical choice.

Nothing too terribly creepy that I've noticed in the house other than the kids having vivid dreams of their mama "last night."  Kids are three and a half now.  

Every once in a while the lights will flicker completely randomly.  I pay attention and ask her out loud "what's up?" and generally keep an extra close eye on the boys for impending injury, choking, ect.  I also check in with myself just in case.

I miss her everyday.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yah, spooky Youtube is completely littered with this trash now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:

Yeah I remember that one. It's a creepy pasta or similar
View Quote

Was this a fiction story? What’s the back story on this?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:

Yeah I remember that one. It's a creepy pasta or similar

It's as real as Dolly Parton's tits.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By terrafirma:
My wife died in my kids bedroom.  Just over a year ago.  The kids (twins), who were two and a half at the time, were moved to an upstairs bedroom while she was on home hospice (ovarian cancer).  The kids bedroom was ground level and it's a small house built in 1900 so it was the practical choice.

Nothing too terribly creepy that I've noticed in the house other than the kids having vivid dreams of their mama "last night."  Kids are three and a half now.  

Every once in a while the lights will flicker completely randomly.  I pay attention and ask her out loud "what's up?" and generally keep an extra close eye on the boys for impending injury, choking, ect.  I also check in with myself just in case.

I miss her everyday.

View Quote

Sorry for your loss, man.

My condolences.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]

I miss her everyday.

View Quote

Damn bro, condolences 🙏
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]

I miss her everyday.

View Quote

Very sorry, my condolences. Prayers up for you and your sons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By EasTexan:

That's an awesome story, RCastle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EasTexan:
Originally Posted By RCastle:
Long time reader, first time poster.  Always enjoyed the creepy threads here.  Finally decided that I had something worth contributing to the site, and here it is.  Also, it has taken me many years to get to the point where I can commit it to words.  I have never told this story before because honestly,  it makes me sound like a crazy person.  I doubt very much that I will ever tell this story face to face to another human being. It’s a bit long but I hope y’all enjoy it.

Let’s start with a bit of background on me.  I’m like a lot of y’all, spent a lot of time out camping in the woods, love and fear for my country, and a I have a passion for firearms.  I’m not a religious man and I consider myself to be a skeptic.  I have been an agnostic since I was a young man.  I had finally concluded many many years ago that I’m apparently just not intelligent enough to figure the whole God thing out, and I got tired of trying to.  That being said, I have seen and experienced things during my lifetime that I cannot explain with a rational paradigm. But I digress, I doubt y’all want to hear my pontifications on God. You want the creepy story.  I have theories about what I have seen and I’ll get into that later.  But at the end of the day it comes down to: I just don’t know.

I was living outside of downtown Houston with my significant other, who we shall refer to as “She-Bitch” (for reasons completely unrelated to this tale) for the rest of this story.   I worked and went to school, She-Bitch was in school as well, that’s where we met, and we lived a pretty normal life at that time.  One night we were in bed both reading and we heard the sound of the windows rattling in their frames in our living room.  It was a very old house converted into apartments, we were living on the second floor.  We lived near an off ramp to an interstate and the light rail was on the other side a few blocks down, no semis passing nor the train had ever rattled the windows before in the two years I had lived there.  I’ve lived in California and I’m familiar with earthquakes and this wasn’t one.  

I’m sitting there thinking “Well, what the hell is all that about?”  She-Bitch looks completely freaked out and panicked.  I get out of bed and slowly walk down the hall towards the living room.  As I approach the living room I am suddenly filled with a feeling of complete dread.  I can only describe it as feeling like someone has stuck a bowling ball in my chest.  I have no rational reason to feel this way.  I finally, after an eternity get to the doorway to the living room and stand there.  I have no idea what I’m looking at.  

It was a man sized black amorphous thing flitting about the window.  Moving kind of like a bat.  Except it’s way to big for any bat. I know what a bat looks like. I’m not a retard.  It’s not a bat. It just kind of flitting around outside, it has what appears to be a head like lump on the top.  I didn’t see any eyes.  Suddenly it flits over the next windows.  Hovering and flitting around.  Then it swoops out of sight and appears at another bay of windows.  It continues to flit and swoop around, and each time it does the windows rattle in their frames.  We lived across the street from a very well lit church with spotlights all around the exterior in addition to street lights and security lights on the property.  It’s bright as hell.   When it flies in front of the very well lit up church, I can’t see the church through it.  When it flies to the other bay of windows on the side of the house, I can’t see the building across the alleyway, those building are also well lit by security lights. It’s  not a shadow.  Not a bat.

I’m just standing there trying to figure out what in the hell I’m looking at, with that heavy dread feeling in my chest.  She-Bitch comes up behind me and grips my arm hard with both of her hands, scared as all hell.  She whispers “Do you see that? Do you fucking see that?”

“… Yup.”  And I’m thinking to myself, “Well, at least I ain’t crazy.  But if I’m not crazy, and I’m not dreaming, (yes the thought had occurred to me), then what in the fuck am I looking at?”

“What the fuck do we do?”  Asked the borderline panic attack She-Bitch.  

I didn’t say anything.  I backed up, and slowly closed the door to the living room.  Very slowly.  Then I moved a bookcase in front of the door.  I slowly backed down the hallway towards the bedroom, She-Bitch behind me, not wanting to take my eyes off the door to the living room.  Once in the bedroom, I lock the door.  Then I move a dresser in front of the door.  She-Bitch then asks again in a louder high pitched panicked voice “What the fuck are we going to do?”

“I don’t know” I answered truthfully.

I proceeded to break out the Mossberg 500, racked a shell into the chamber, hoping to scare it (just kidding, there was already a shell chambered, good to go) knowing full well that if that thing is, well, a thing, that 00 buckshot might not do the trick.  But if some “thing” is going to take me out, I’m not going quietly.  Not going to lie, I also broke out a vial of holy water that my Grandmother had given me a long time ago.  I had no idea if my magic water would do anything, but it couldn’t hurt.  I hoped.  

I made the decision to hold up in the barricaded bedroom.  That thing was outside of the house; leaving the house either through the front door, in the living room, or out the back door and going around the side of the house through the alley, would require us to travel under that thing.  Fuck that.   After awhile in the barricaded bedroom the feeling of dread slowly subsided.  

So we’re sitting on the bed watching the bedroom door.  She-Bitch asks me in a strained and slightly less panicked voice, “So you really saw that too?”  

“Yeah” I replied.  I’m a man of few words.  

“I’ve seen things my whole life and you’re the first person who’s seen them too.” She stated.

“The hell?” I’m thinking in my head.  I should add that She-Bitch was a die-hard-to-the- point-of-aggravation Atheist.  You could not have a civilized conversation concerning religion or spirituality with that woman.  

She-Bitch then proceeds to tell me about the “things” she’s seen all her life.  I hadn’t asked, but the words were coming out of her mouth like water from a broken dam.  She just kept talking and talking, probably because I’m the first person she’s met who has seen them too.  She described seeing these shadow being before, sometimes they had glowing eyes, sometimes not (our “thing” that night did not have glowing eyes).  She described seeing “faces” in windows and other strange stuff.  She even described this one time when she was about eight how a floating being that looked like Quatzequatel, a serpent with wings, had hovered in the common area of the trailer she had lived in.

At this point I’m thinking “Fuck. Me.  I’m living with a schizophrenic.”  She goes on for about an hour and a half, I’m not saying much just listening, with the Mossberg in my hands, holy water on the night stand, staring intently at the door, thinking and processing all of this.  Finally, she seems to talk herself out and she falls asleep.  Bitch.  I sure as hell wasn’t going to sleep and spent the rest of a very tense night staring at the door, listening and waiting.  Nothing more happened that night.  Finally, the sun came up.  That was one of the longest nights of my life.  

I got out of bed very stiff after having not moved all night.  I moved the dresser, unlocked the door and crept down the hall towards the living room.  Moved the bookcase and very slowly opened the door and peeked in.  Nothing. Sunlight streaming through the windows.  No feeling of dread, no shadowy beings.  Just a normal living room.  

I go back the bedroom, very tired but with a feeling of relief, put the shotgun back in the closet. Went and made some coffee.  She-Bitch gets up and comes in the kitchen and asks me if “It” was gone.  God Damnit!  I had really been hoping that all of that was just some sort of messed up dream or night terror or something.  But no.  It happened.   I tell her that it looks like it’s gone.  We drink coffee and she relates more of the stuff she’s seen her whole life.  She ends the conversation asking me “Why can you see them?” I responded “I don’t fucking know, I’ve never seen anything like that before.”  We don’t talk about it anymore after that.  

After that I did what any rational red blooded American male would do in that situation.  I pretended it didn’t happen.  This may sound strange, but at that time in my life I had some more pressing things to worry about than some “thing.”  I just kind of filed the whole incident away in my head with the label of to-be-dealt-with-later.

Nothing else happened, I paid it absolutely no mind.  Life went on.  

A few months later, I’m happily reading in bed one evening and I hear She-Bitch, she’s just saying “Oh my God Oh my God Oh my God, RCastle, come here! Oh my God Oh my God.” over and over.   I get up, and slowly walk down the hall towards the living room, getting that same heavy feeling of dread.  She-Bitch is standing at the doorway of the living room trembling.  I get there and she gets behind me and again grabs my arm like her life depended on it.

“Do you see it?” she asks.

“Yeah, I see it.”  I replied.  I’m trying to process something that shouldn’t be in my brain.  Every cell in my body is now in fight or flight mode.  This time, the shadow thing is inside the living room.  This time it is not an amorphous shape.  It’s a vaguely human shape, child sized, about four, four and  a half feet tall, sitting on my couch, rapidly rocking back and forth.   It stops rocking and raises it’s head and looks at me.  I can’t tell you how I knew it was looking at me, it didn’t have eyes.  Or a face really.  I just felt it.

“Fuck!” I yelled as I promptly freaked the fuck out.  I slammed the door shut, threw the bookcase in front of the door, grabbed She-Bitch by the arm and ran to the bedroom and threw her inside. Locked the door, barricaded it.  Grabbed the Mossberg from the closet, the Colt 1911 and Holy water from the night stand and crouched behind the bed with She-Bitch.  She was trembling and saying “oh my god” over and over again.  My heart rate was going at ludicrous speed pounding and pounding in my chest with all of the adrenaline running through my body.   Sorry, no blading at 45.  After what felt like forever, my body calmed down and she stopped trembling.  She asked what I thought “It” was.  I told her I don’t know.   Then she crawled in the bed and went to sleep.  Bitch.  I was tired as all hell, but there was no damn way I was going to sleep with that thing in my house.  I stayed awake behind the bed, sitting in a chair armed to the teeth, staring intently at the door; I felt like if I looked away for even a second it would get in.  It was another long night.  

Next morning, same as the last time.  Sun comes up. Un-barricade the bedroom, un-barricade the living room door, take a peek in.  Nothing but sunlight.  Go to make coffee.  She-Bitch comes into the kitchen and asks if “It” is gone and I tell her yes.  She-Bitch and I do not speak of the incident ever again.  Even though we never talked about it, we stopped using the living room after that, even during the day.  We kept the door closed and locked for the next year until she moved out.  

However,  now that this had happened a second time I felt that I had to do something about it.  I spent a day thinking about it.  I had no idea what in the hell that thing was.  I resolved that I would either:

1. Walk across the street to the church and talk to a Catholic priest.  Maybe he would bless/exorcise the house.  

2. Talk to a cousin a dozen times removed who is a witch.  Not some pagan hippy Wiccan crap, rather an old school Bruja.  Maybe she can tell me what this thing is and how I can get rid of it.  I was rather hesitant to take this route as I had been actively avoiding her my entire life.  She gives me the creeps.

A few days passed, nothing more happened and life became the normal routine.  She-Bitch and I had been having some serious problems in our relationship predating and unrelated to the weirdness.  When nothing else out of the ordinary happened, I filed the incident away in my head and I didn’t take any action.  I guess I kind of just hoped it went away and didn’t think about it anymore.

A year later, the relationship with She-Bitch was over and she moves out.  No more incidents or weird out of the ordinary things had happened.  Once day I’m in the kitchen on a Saturday morning having a cup of coffee when my brain suddenly brings the incidents to the forefront.  Now that I am somewhat removed from it by time I can look at it rationally.  I decided that I wanted to figure out what in the hell that thing was.  So I fire up the internet and read the whack job forums.  After reading about many things I decide that what I saw was the phenomenon called “Shadow People.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_People

So now I have a description of what it was.  I don’t like calling them “Shadow People” because they sure as hell ain’t people.  

While reading up on them a memory hits me like a phonebook to the head.  This is not the first time that I’ve seen these things.  I don’t recall much of my childhood, but that’s another story, one memory comes screaming out of my murky past.  I recall that when I was about eight or so that I had seen these exact same things.  This happened for a period of time, I don’t know if it was weeks, months or a year.  I would sit in my bed, that same feeling of dread, clutching my blanket, back to the wall afraid to breath.  I would sit there and watch these people shaped shadows just standing in my doorway watching me.  I was too scared to take my eyes off of them.  My brother slept in the same room but he always just slept through the night.  Asshole.  I was always too scared to wake him or cry out.  Back then I thought that they were aliens who had come to abduct me.   They scared the shit out of me.  Eventually they went away and I stopped seeing them.  I guess I just decided they were a nightmare or something and just filed it away, went on with my childhood, grew up and forgot about it.  Until now.  

Fuck.  Now I really need to figure out what in the hell it is or what caused me to see it.  I start running through the theories of what it could be.

1. I’m bat shit crazy.   Well, never really had any emotional issues, mental health problems, voices in my head, weird delusions or paranoia, none of that.  Never really saw them except for those two periods in my life and She-Bitch had seen them too.  Logic would tend to implicate that I would at least see these things more frequently and I would have other symptoms if I were crazy.  So, I’m probably not crazy.  At least not when it comes to this.

2. Night Terrors/Sleep Paralysis/Sleep Walking/Hypnagogia.  I was able to move, hadn’t started the incidents from asleep, I had been very much awake, didn’t wake up in bed afterwards, and had stayed up all night both times.  I had performed feats requiring fine motor skills and most of my strength in barricading the doors.  Believe me, I felt it the day after I was so tired.  I wasn’t asleep.  She-Bitch had seen it too.  She had commented on “It.”  Plus, again, it would make more sense if I saw these things with more frequency than I did.  So, I concluded that this wasn’t a very strong theory.   Plausible, but not likely.

3. Some type of weird ocular phenomena where you see shadow things out of the corner of your eye, sorry I can’t recall the precise medical term.  I didn’t see these things out of the corner of my eye, or briefly.  I looked at them straight on.   So this theory doesn’t really work.  Plus again, lack of frequency.  

4. Magnetic phenomenon messing with my brain.  This one was a stretch.  And it would seem that this would be more location based.  I didn’t live near anything odd in either location that might produce a strong magnetic field.  Plus, if I had during both periods when I was young and older, I should have seen them with more frequency.  So, no.  This theory doesn’t fly with me.

5. Transdimensional something or another.  Where dimensions kind of bleed into one another.  This one is an even further stretch than the magnetic field thing.  I generally dismiss this one, but it is the only theory that fits all of the parameters of the incidents, both when I was young and older.  

6. Aliens.  Fuck. That. No.  I’ll believe that one when I see a spaceship with my own two eyes.  And not some glowey light picture, I want to see a hull.

7.  Ghosts.  Didn't really match up with ghost stories I've read, seems to be a different phenomena.  

So I have no concrete answers on what this was at that point. I’m left with either some weird wide awake nightmare or transdimensional something or another.  I just don’t have a good explanation.   I file away this info and don’t think about it much for another year.  I go on and graduate with my B.S. in Anthropology later that year.  God, what a mistake that was.  But that’s another topic.

Over a year later I decided to work on a research project.  For fun.  I’m strange like that.  One of my areas of research during my undergrad was Caribbean and African possession.  Looking at it from an Anthropological point of view, examining why they developed this practice in their culture etc.  Not from an “OMG it’s real life Exorcist!!!!!” point of view.  Like I said, I’m a rational and skeptical person.  I decide to research Christian possession, thinking I would compare it with the Caribbean/African possession and try to see if there were any similarities in what function they served in their respective cultures.  Like I said, I’m odd like that.  This is my idea of a good time.  And I wonder why I’m divorced…

Anyway.  I start reading all of the accounts and case studies I can find on Christian possession.  Now when I read these things, I do it with a grain of salt (well, a ton of salt really).  I’m not reading it for the story, rather I’m reading it for the features, like does it fill some psychological function, bad family history, religious person/family before or after… etc.  I read these accounts, checked of features on a chart I had made.  

So I’m reading one book, a catholic account by Dr. Malachi Martin, a former Catholic exorcist,  called “Hostage to the Devil.” In it are several first hand and a second hand accounts of Catholic Possession.  To the Catholics, there are stages to possession.  1. Obsession, where the demonic forces affect the person externally, like a third party bothering you.  2. Invasion where the demonic forces enter the bodily hostilely.  3.  Perfect possession where the person accepts the demon into their body and soul.   Anyway, I’m reading through one second hand account of the obsession stage, I’m skimming over it really since I dislike using second hand accounts.  But one part of the story catches my eye.  The priest sees and describes a shadow being.  The same features, the same feeling of dread.

The. Fuck.  My heart wants to burst through my chest.  I start reading this account a lot more closely from the beginning.  Yup, I started to panic a bit.  Fucking demons?  The account described seeing faces in windows etc a lot of the same type of stuff She-Bitch described that she had seen her entire life.

I stayed up all night thinking about this and the implications.  I had never considered “Demons” in my possible theory on what the shadow beings had been.  I then recalled a radio interview that Dr. Martin had given that I had downloaded, not for the substance, just more out of my own curiosity about the man.  In that interview he described how sometimes the demons impersonated other deities to mess with the subject of the obsession/possession.  I recalled She-Bitch’s description of Quatzequatel when she was eight.   Now here’s the thing about She-Bitch.  She grew up poor, really white trash poor.  Raised by her crazy alcoholic abusive grandmother, who wouldn’t let her go to school, they didn’t have a television, and she could barely read poor.  I’ve been to the trailer she grew up in. They were as poor as it gets.  There is no way in hell this eight year old uneducated girl had ever been exposed to Mayan mythology at that stage in her life.  But that’s exactly what she saw.  

Things are just falling into place in my brain.  

While reading the account it mentioned things like moving and missing objects and electrical anomalies.   Two other things leaped forward in my mind.  As I mentioned, I lived in an old house.  Lightbulbs would burn out abnormally fast and constantly.  You turn on the switch, light flickers and pop goes the filament.  I used to buy lightbulbs by the case.  I just chalked it up to ancient wiring.  Never paid it much thought.  Oh, and CF Bulbs would die on me too.  That was expensive so I just loaded up on incandescents.  

I also recalled the books.  I have a lot of books.  In the middle of the night you would hear a thump.  The first time it happened it woke me up, I went to go investigate, and there was a book on the floor.  House and bookcases are level.  It happened from multiple bookcases, different books.  I had chalked it up to the cat messing around at night.  It happened so often I quit investigating when I heard the thump at night.  I would just get up in the morning, pick the book off the ground and go about my day.  

It occurred to me then that often the books were from different shelves.  And they were frequently thick heavy books, like textbooks.  Not likely the cat would pull or push it off the shelves when I stopped to think about it.  I realized that the lightbulb thing and the book thing had only started after She-Bitch had moved in.  Nothing before that.  And they both stopped after She-Bitch had moved out.  I still had the same cat.  

I realized there was one other factor that I had never considered in trying to figure out the shadow beings:  I was never alone when I saw them.  Either my brother was asleep in the same room as me or She-Bitch was there.

In fact, the only times that I have ever seen these shadow things was when I was in the presence of the two most troubled people I have ever known in my entire life:  my brother and She-Bitch.  The shadow beings had nothing to do with me.  It had nothing to do with the location.  It had to do with the people around me.  I just happened to be standing next to them and could see them for some reason.

The Catholic Demon Possession theory fit better than all of the other theories.   I’m not saying that’s what it was.   That’s just what I think it may be.  I will never be able to say with certainty what it was.  I just don’t know.  
After I had processed everything, I just kind of sat there and thought about it.  I was no longer in contact with She-Bitch.  And how in the fuck do you bring up the subject “Hey, I think you may be possessed by demons...” conversation up with your ex?   My relationship with my brother is complicated, that’s all I’ll say about that.  I love him, but we don’t talk much and this is not really something that we could talk about or that he would take seriously.  Anyway, I’m to this day not certain what it was.  Whenever I think about it, I sound like a crazy person to myself.

I did walk across the street that weekend and spoke to a priest.  I asked him to please say a Mass for She-Bitch and my brother.  I didn’t tell him why, just that they both had troubles.  It may not be much, but I figure a man of faith praying for them is a hell of a lot better than anything I could ever do.  

I’ve read how events like this sometimes enable people to have faith in God.  That didn’t happen to me.  I guess it’s just that I haven’t seen or experienced anything that would indicate to me that God exists.  Believe me, at times I wish I could have faith.   I will say that because of some of the things that I have seen, I will never state that God doesn’t exist.  I just don’t have the answers.   Since that whole incident thing and aftermath, I have noticed that I cleaned up my life a good deal.  I’m a better person overall, treat my fellow human beings much better, try to lead a good life.   I guess if God does exist, maybe he’ll forgive my non-belief and look at the good things I’ve done with my life.  Like I said, I just don’t know.

Oh, and to the OP, yeah, that area around Dam B is pretty weird.  I’ve had some strange things happen around that part of the state, also around Sam Rayburn.   All I’ll say is that there are parts of East Texas that I will not travel through without a long gun.

And back to lurker status.

Edited for typos.  

That's an awesome story, RCastle.

My little brother and nephews all swear they’ve seen a “shadow person” at my aunt’s house on multiple occasions in the past when they were kids.
Now that they’re all adults, I’ll have to ask them about their experiences.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#14]

I miss her everyday.

View Quote

My condolences bud. I bet she is watching out for you guys!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#15]
yesterday, beautiful day, driving my 5 and 8 year old to the playground in our neighborhood in a golf cart.

5 year old turns to me and says "this is the first time I've been alive on Earth"....

I asked where else he's been alive and what the actual hell is he talking about but nothing else came out. He's said weird shit like this before, too, like "I was alive hundreds of years ago".
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#16]
Long story short; I seen some shit. My pardner that was there saw it too.

Then this guy pulls out his .380 and starts to light the place up.

Dead of night, way out in the country too.

Looked like a old timey woman in there dressed up in 1870-90 type dress and long flowing hair.

It had this inner faint light about it like phosphorescence or something.

That is, until my buddy started fucking it's ass up with +p like a Thompson.

We never stayed around that long to see what was going to happen next.

I told someone about it and they went out there a couple of nights later.

They said they felt a presence coming from within this abandoned church and then refused to go in.

Said he thought he saw a water moccasin near the front doorway but because of the broken floorboards he really couldn't say for sure.

Said he was never going back as well.

Fucking pussy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]

I miss her everyday.

View Quote

Very sorry for you loss.

I can't imagine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
yesterday, beautiful day, driving my 5 and 8 year old to the playground in our neighborhood in a golf cart.

5 year old turns to me and says "this is the first time I've been alive on Earth"....

I asked where else he's been alive and what the actual hell is he talking about but nothing else came out. He's said weird shit like this before, too, like "I was alive hundreds of years ago".
View Quote

Kid been dipping into your stash?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I was driving south on US1 one night from St. Augustine to Palm Coast around 02:45. It was during Bike Week. Saw a dude in the median waving his arms, pulled over and saw a bike laying on the ground. He asked me to call 911, and then split in his car.

I walked over to the dude laying in the gravel beside the road, other than his scalp being torn off in a few places he didn't look too bad. He was unconscious at the time. Then I looked over and saw a girl sitting in the median. She was just sitting there smiling, asked her if she was okay and she just smiled. Asked if she wanted a smoke and she shook her head. I gave her one, and when I went to light it, she held my hand I had the lighter in, it was drenched in blood.

I walked back over to the dude laying beside the road, and shined my flashlight up past his bike, and saw another bike laying in the median. As I walked up to it I saw another dude laying about 50 yards from it. He was messed up bad. His jacket was pulled up covering his head, his chest was sunk in and his stomach was kinda jerking. Then I looked back at the other dude who was sitting up. Walked back to him, and told him he should probably just sit there till the ambulance showed up.

Another car had finally stopped by then, so I walked back to the other guy. There was a pretty blond girl standing next to him, she was wearing bell bottoms, and had a long knit type sweater that came to her knees. I asked her who she was, and she said "I'm with him." I asked her if she had been riding with him, and she said "no, he's mine." A cop pulled up and I walked over to his car to tell him this dude was messed up bad. Turned around and she was gone.

I stayed till the chopper was getting ready to land. The messed up dude never made it to the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
My wife and I bought a house and everything was normal. Kind of a big house for a couple with no kids yet.

Anyhow one of my best friends died suddenly on Valentines Day at about age 30. We were very close. I visited him usually once a week and brought my guitar to play over at his house. Most of his other friends had already wrote him off because he had a monkey on his back which ultimately killed him. I couldn't bring him to the rifle range anymore because I couldn't trust him to be clean. It was sad to see someone you had so much in common with whose ambitions for life had been completely overridden with addiction. He hadn't married or had any kids. We had our first on the way. His parents found him, OD'd again but this time he was too far gone.

So we go to the oldest church around where the services were held at and then off to the cemetery. The church was a massive granite building that dates back to the early 1700's. I had a hard time getting my wife to enter the church because she felt bad vibes at the doorway.

On the way home from the cemetery she said something has been following us since we left the church. She wasn't superstitious at all, she wasn't the type back then to believe in any of that. I just shrugged it off but she repeated that she had a bad feeling that we're not alone.

The next day she says the chair downstairs next to the fireplace was found turned around and facing out the window. Plain old wood chair from an old dining room set, no caster wheels. Berber carpet under the chair. No way the chair moved without being pushed, lifted or turned. I didn't believe it, assured her it was just her imagination.

A couple days later she said it happened again. So I start checking on the chair several times a day. The chair would be found turned around and facing out the window pretty regularly over the next couple weeks. Not every single day but enough to make you think someone is playing a joke on you. Then about once every 3-5 days my guitar would strum a note. It was on a floor stand right next to the chair. How does an acoustic guitar do that? It had a good set of .010 strings on it and was in good tune. I was trying to deny all of this was happening so I told my wife that I don't know what to think about the chair but the guitar thing must be humidity flexing the neck of the guitar. My wife started being uncomfortable while home alone because of these two things and I'm just trying to keep her calm.

No cats, kids or dogs yet at the time. Just the two of us. House is locked up tight as a drum.

Next I spent a couple hundred bucks and installed all new door locks, unplugged the garage door openers, pinned the garage doors with welding Vise Grips, double checked all of the windows. No way anyone was getting in. 20" AR with a Samson quad rail close by.

The next morning I moved the chair back to its regular position away from the window. I checked it again after clearing the house which I did twice daily now as a new routine. I was only upstairs for a minute when I heard the guitar. I raced downstairs to find the chair moved in front of the window again, facing out. My wife was already at work and I was home alone.

This had been going on now for about 3 months and the babys due date is getting close. If this entity is some form of my dead friend, it's time to move on and if it's something entirely different, we're sick of it.
I locked the guitar up in the closet under the stairs and took the chair outside and burned it on a brush pile with diesel fuel. The guitar never made a noise again while locked under the stairs.

After about 9 more years I moved the guitar out to the loft above the garage and my youngest kid plays on it with some lesson books while I work on things below. A couple more years have passed. Nothing weird has happened again. Yet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I live on a spur of a mountain in Appalachia. We have some acreage and we are pretty isolated, it is the reason we sold out suburbia and moved. We love the quiet.

I have never felt afraid in the woods and certainly not in the land we own. I know it well and have trails all around. I feel at peace here in the quiet. These hills and rocks heal, they healed me. I'm not the same as when we moved.

A few days ago I was leaving for work. My drive is about 3/4 mile and the last part almost at the road has a bridge. I was almost to the bridge when I saw a large cat dart over the drive. It was approximately 24-28" high and really long. Tawny colored and fast. My dash camera was unplugged because my lighter socket stays on when the key is off and I unplug it when I get out to park. I have cursed this, I wish I had that footage.

NC says we have no lions.

So Thursday night I walk out to my coop about 9pm to shut up the chickens. They are behind my shop in a chain link enclosure. I walked toward it and I could hear them clucking nervously, like when my neighbor's dog comes up to visit and is close to them. I walked in and talked to them a second. This seemed to calm them. I shut the door and instantly my hair stood up. I can't explain the feeling but I was in condition red. I did not have a weapon on me but I reached to my side by habit.

Looking into the darkness I couldn't see anything at all. My coop enclosure has a 60w bulb hanging in the center and it ruins the ability to see out in the trees next to the shop. I NEVER have felt this way, not once. I walked to the shop and darted under the right shelter where my pickup stays. I kept my back to the wall and sidestepped to the front. I look back at this and shake my head, never felt fear here, seems so crazy.

I see one of my dogs coming up the gravel from the house toward the shop and he has his head to the ground (he is a beagle cross) but he stopped just about the time he got to the shop and stared off toward the coop. I spoke softly to him but he stared that direction and cocked his head slightly. He is dark brown and stood out on the white granite gravel.

I had enough, I jogged to the house. I got a light and pistol and headed back. The cat I had seen popped instantly into my head out of the blue just about the time I rounded to head back to the shop. Could it be? Fear waned a little. Now curiosity replaced some of the apprehension.  

Hershey and now Belle the Chihuahua came back with me toward the shop. I shined the light all over. I saw nothing and I didn't feel the dread as before. Hershey was darting around and went into the woods sniffing but he didn't seem on alert like before.

Did I interrupt a cougar about to snack on my hens?

I think I will put one of my game cams on the coop.

No this wasn't paranormal but if fear is what this thread is about, it was the most I have felt since I was a boy. A pure dread I can't really describe, lizard brain fear.

Maybe I will get some pics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:28:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#22]
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
I live on a spur of a mountain in Appalachia. We have some acreage and we are pretty isolated, it is the reason we sold out suburbia and moved. We love the quiet.

I have never felt afraid in the woods and certainly not in the land we own. I know it well and have trails all around. I feel at peace here in the quiet. These hills and rocks heal, they healed me. I'm not the same as when we moved.

A few days ago I was leaving for work. My drive is about 3/4 mile and the last part almost at the road has a bridge. I was almost to the bridge when I saw a large cat dart over the drive. It was approximately 24-28" high and really long. Tawny colored and fast. My dash camera was unplugged because my lighter socket stays on when the key is off and I unplug it when I get out to park. I have cursed this, I wish I had that footage.

So Thursday night I walk out to my coop about 9pm to shut up the chickens. They are behind my shop in a chain link enclosure. I walked toward it and I could hear them clucking nervously, like when my neighbor's dog comes up to visit and is close to them. I walked in and talked to them a second. This seemed to calm them. I shut the door and instantly my hair stood up. I can't explain the feeling but I was in condition red. I did not have a weapon on me but I reached to my side by habit.

Looking into the darkness I couldn't see anything at all. My coop enclosure has a 60w bulb hanging in the center and it ruins the ability to see out in the trees next to the shop. I NEVER have felt this way, not once. I walked to the shop and darted under the right shelter where my pickup stays. I kept my back to the wall and sidestepped to the front. I look back at this and shake my head, never felt fear here, seems so crazy.

I see one of my dogs coming up the gravel from the house toward the shop and he has his head to the ground (he is a beagle cross) but he stopped just about the time he got to the shop and stared off toward the coop. I spoke softly to him but he stared that direction and cocked his head slightly. He is dark brown and stood out on the white granite gravel.

I had enough, I jogged to the house. I got a light and pistol and headed back. The cat I had seen popped instantly into my head out of the blue just about the time I rounded to head back to the shop. Could it be? Fear waned a little. Now curiosity replaced some of the apprehension.  

Hershey and now Belle the Chihuahua came back with me toward the shop. I shined the light all over. I saw nothing and I didn't feel the dread as before. Hershey was darting around and went into the woods sniffing but he didn't seem on alert like before.

No this wasn't paranormal but if fear is what this thread is about, it was the most I have felt since I was a boy. A pure dread I can't really describe, lizard brain fear.

View Quote

It's a creepy thread. Not a paranormal thread. It fits in here well. Thanks for sharing.

The thought of a big cat pouncing on you in the dark is a legit creepy feeling.  Happened to me a couple years ago at fish camp. After it happened and pieces together what it was that could have ended me really had me a bit freaked out. Realizing you were that close to being on the wrong end of the food chain is an unsettling fear deep rooted in all of us from our caveman days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

F&G departments don't want to acknowledge some species. They would have to dedicate a lot of money to try and protect them. Easier to let them fade away, especially if they think that they are doomed anyway.
One of the upper midwest states are in the same bboat; the F&G weenies say that the cats a "transient individuals" from other states so they won't have to deal with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

F&G departments don't want to acknowledge some species. They would have to dedicate a lot of money to try and protect them. Easier to let them fade away, especially if they think that they are doomed anyway.
One of the upper midwest states are in the same bboat; the F&G weenies say that the cats a "transient individuals" from other states so they won't have to deal with them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ohio:

Exactly.

They won't "officially" acknowledge species like big cats because if they do, then they have to put in programs, and that costs $$$.

Felis concolor, however, doesn't give a damn about human politics.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

It's a creepy thread. Not a paranormal thread. It fits in here well. Thanks for sharing.

The thought of a big cat pouncing on you in the dark is a legit creepy feeling.  Happened to me a couple years ago at fish camp. After it happened and pieces together what it was that could have ended me really had me a bit freaked out. Realizing you were that close to being on the wrong end of the food chain is an unsettling fear deep rooted in all of us from our caveman days.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

There’s a book called “The Gift of Fear”. I’d say your experiences would fit right in
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

View Quote

Your kid is a mastering trolling at just 5 you’re in for a ride
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I definitely believe some people are more sensitive than others to the paranormal.

I posted in this thread a few years ago about something laughing at my daughter from our woods.  Our house was built in 73 and moved onto an old farm site in 99.  We bought it in 2013.

There's a small woods on one side of the yard (half acre or so) and a larger on the other (2-3 acres).  When my daughter was younger, she asked us who the people were working in the smaller woods.  She described 2 men and 1 woman wearing clothes that would have been appropriate 150 years ago.  She showed us where she saw them in a clearing.  There was no sign of anyone being there.  The only access to the property is the driveway that has trail cams, or across large fields.

I put up a trail cam in the larger woods a few years later for deer.  I sent a picture of myself from it to my mom.  She asked me who the other people were in the picture.  She clearly saw 2 guys and a dog with me.  She showed the picture to her sister and my daughter and they saw it too.  I didn't see anything that resembled other people.  She stopped being able to see the people after a few days.  I'll try to find the picture if anyone is interested.

My daughter had things happen to her in the bedroom next to ours.  She said an old lady grabbed her by the hair while in bed and pulled her against the wall and whispered "changing roots" to her.  Things would fall off shelves and she'd hear weird noises.  We moved her to a room downstairs and all of that stopped.  But things disappear and reappear.  My daughter likes old tech.  She carries a walkman and makes mix tapes recorded from her computer to cassette.  She found a Megadeth tape at a flea market.  She took that out into the woods to sit in her favorite spot to listen to.  She came back upset because she lost the case for it in the woods.   We looked for it off and on for several weeks and wrote it off.  I was going to order a new one for her on ebay.  I went downstairs to talk to her and saw the tape case on the end table next to the downstairs couch.  I brought it in her room to ask where she found it.  She thought I was messing with her.  She walks by that end table every time she goes in and out of her room. Nobody in the house put it there.

The same thing happened with a check my wife received.  It was on the kitchen table overnight so she could cash it the next day.  She couldn't find it anywhere that day.  Two weeks later it showed up on the center counsel in her locked van.  We had taken the van all over the place over those two weeks and it was clearly not there during that time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 2PE119:

Your kid is a mastering trolling at just 5 you’re in for a ride
View Quote

Unless he can describe some details that go beyond what a young mind would have knowledge of, I would write it off as a wild imagination.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#29]

Unless he can describe some details that go beyond what a young mind would have knowledge of, I would write it off as a wild imagination.
View Quote

Kids have incredible imaginations.

I was camping with my boys a long time ago and out of nowhere my 6 yr old in the tent tells us someone is in there with him. I was just out front so there is no way anyone got in there.

He then goes on about he is a guy named Tom and he is looking for his dog. When asked he described him as about what I would expect a bum that lives in a shak in the woods would look like. He described his clothes, beard, level of dirty ness and such.

My other son and I were amazed at his details and storytelling. It was quite believable other than the fact that ghosts and shit do not exist. He was so good at it I was almost tempted to question if it was just a story.

But it was just a story he was goofin us with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]
No more chicken coop weirdness.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#31]

I miss her everyday.

View Quote

My sincere condolences. My wife died 4 1/2 years ago and my twins were almost 4 yo. She died on our living room couch from breast cancer. Her death throws lasted nearly 12 hours. During that time,
two of her relatives swore she visited them and said she was okay. I never got any type of visit to this day.

For me, the first 2-3 years were almost unbearable. Now they just suck, but life has gotten better. Myself and my eldest daughter (18) still have regular FU dreams about her. I hope you fair
better than we have. Best wishes, brother.
@terrafirma
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Eli75:
I definitely believe some people are more sensitive than others to the paranormal.

I posted in this thread a few years ago about something laughing at my daughter from our woods.  Our house was built in 73 and moved onto an old farm site in 99.  We bought it in 2013.

There's a small woods on one side of the yard (half acre or so) and a larger on the other (2-3 acres).  When my daughter was younger, she asked us who the people were working in the smaller woods.  She described 2 men and 1 woman wearing clothes that would have been appropriate 150 years ago.  She showed us where she saw them in a clearing.  There was no sign of anyone being there.  The only access to the property is the driveway that has trail cams, or across large fields.

I put up a trail cam in the larger woods a few years later for deer.  I sent a picture of myself from it to my mom.  She asked me who the other people were in the picture.  She clearly saw 2 guys and a dog with me.  She showed the picture to her sister and my daughter and they saw it too.  I didn't see anything that resembled other people.  She stopped being able to see the people after a few days.  I'll try to find the picture if anyone is interested.

My daughter had things happen to her in the bedroom next to ours.  She said an old lady grabbed her by the hair while in bed and pulled her against the wall and whispered "changing roots" to her.  Things would fall off shelves and she'd hear weird noises.  We moved her to a room downstairs and all of that stopped.  But things disappear and reappear.  My daughter likes old tech.  She carries a walkman and makes mix tapes recorded from her computer to cassette.  She found a Megadeth tape at a flea market.  She took that out into the woods to sit in her favorite spot to listen to.  She came back upset because she lost the case for it in the woods.   We looked for it off and on for several weeks and wrote it off.  I was going to order a new one for her on ebay.  I went downstairs to talk to her and saw the tape case on the end table next to the downstairs couch.  I brought it in her room to ask where she found it.  She thought I was messing with her.  She walks by that end table every time she goes in and out of her room. Nobody in the house put it there.

The same thing happened with a check my wife received.  It was on the kitchen table overnight so she could cash it the next day.  She couldn't find it anywhere that day.  Two weeks later it showed up on the center counsel in her locked van.  We had taken the van all over the place over those two weeks and it was clearly not there during that time.
View Quote
Yes of course we want to see the picture.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NWJohnny:
View Quote

I'll trudge out into the woods tomorrow and pull the memory card.  Just for you!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eli75] [#34]

I'll trudge out into the woods tomorrow and pull the memory card.  Just for you!
View All Quotes

If anyone sees anything other than the fat old bald guy, you may have the sixth sense.

eta, I do get visitors there...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#35]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31219/Woods_Pic_Eli-3201632.jpg

If anyone sees anything other than the fat old bald guy, you may have the sixth sense.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31219/Screenshot_2024-04-29_200103-3201634.png
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31219/Woods_Pic_Eli-3201632.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31219/Screenshot_2024-04-29_200103-3201634.png

I don't even see the "fat old bald guy"!  I do see a middle aged guy in denims, a gray or tan t-shirt on, semi-balding.

I must have a negative rating on the paranormal sensitivity scale!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Great story! I've had a couple of truly unexplained cases of things missing and reappearing. Here's a good one...

My late wife, myself, and my almost 4yo daughter moved to Mexico from Austin. My wife's wedding ring disappeared at that time. Previously, we had been staying with my step mom in east Texas. We figured it got left there. She tore the house apart and couldn't find it. We went through everything multiple times and it was gone. I completely renovated my MIL's side of the house she gave to us. This process took about 6-8 months. By that time, we had moved 5 times since leaving Austin. Our main living area had just been filled with all of our stuff.
All of it was in boxes. As I went in to unpack, there sitting in the middle of the floor was my wife's ring. I damn near stepped on it. If anybody has any reasonable explanation for this, I'd love to hear it...cause I got nothing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Flushdraw:

Great story! I've had a couple of truly unexplained cases of things missing and reappearing. Here's a good one...

My late wife, myself, and my almost 4yo daughter moved to Mexico from Austin. My wife's wedding ring disappeared at that time. Previously, we had been staying with my step mom in east Texas. We figured it got left there. She tore the house apart and couldn't find it. We went through everything multiple times and it was gone. I completely renovated my MIL's side of the house she gave to us. This process took about 6-8 months. By that time, we had moved 5 times since leaving Austin. Our main living area had just been filled with all of our stuff.
All of it was in boxes. As I went in to unpack, there sitting in the middle of the floor was my wife's ring. I damn near stepped on it. If anybody has any reasonable explanation for this, I'd love to hear it...cause I got nothing.
View Quote

Some Catholic asked St. Anthony to get that ring found.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6gunfighter2] [#38]
So the place I am in now, for some reason, gives me this “vibe” that it MIGHT be haunted.

It’s not terribly old at least as far as real estate goes, but I don’t know, hard to describe I guess, it’s just a feeling I get sometimes.  Say, a former resident or two may have “left this world” but not “left this place.”

So this morning I am up at around 5 a.m. and I am in the living room, and I distinctly hear a woman’s voice coming from the kitchen which adjoins the living room.

Long story short - there was no possible way any living person, woman or otherwise, could have been in there.

That creeped me right the hell out, OH yeah!

I couldn’t quite make out what the voice said but it sounded like “Hello.”

No radio or TV or other electronic device was operating that could have been the source either.

Well anyway wish me luck with the ghosts.

If it happens again I’ll use the ARFCOM GD procedure and start fapping in front of it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:
So the place I am in now, for some reason, gives me this “vibe” that it MIGHT be haunted.

It’s not terribly old at least as far as real estate goes, but I don’t know, hard to describe I guess, it’s just a feeling I get sometimes.  Say, a former resident or two may have “left this world” but not “left this place.”

So this morning I am up at around 5 a.m. and I am in the living room, and I distinctly hear a woman’s voice coming from the kitchen which adjoins the living room.

Long story short - there was no possible way any living person, woman or otherwise, could have been in there.

No radio or TV or other electronic device was operating that could have been the source either.

If it happens again I’ll use the ARFCOM GD procedure and start fapping in front of it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll go ahead and post up a story, true to the best of my memory.

We had just built a new addition to the house and had the drywall finished but no flooring yet, just a slab. We lived miles from town but had a kid that lived across from us that was a bit of a hoodlum and he was over. For some reason he took a can of spray paint and painted a demon-looking face on the slab. It creeped my sister out and she covered it with paint then painted a cross over it - I wasn't worried because it was getting tiled over anyway. A month or so after we had everything finished up we had our pastor out to say a prayer and ask for God to continue blessing our house.

A day or two after that my mom and dad called us in to that room to talk about something my dad had seen. Now my dad was a Vietnam vet and then a roughneck that spent a lot of his remaining youth getting into bar room brawls for fun. The ONLY time I'd ever seen him even remotely unsettled was when we went on a cave tour and he said he wasn't ever going underground again, preferring to wait outside on the bench until we came back.

Anyway, my dad sat there stone silent staring at the floor while my mom related what he had told her. He said that during the prayer he had opened his eyes for some reason and the tile was as clear as glass. He said there was something evil under the floor and it was not happy. It was angry. While the pastor was praying it slowly eased towards the wall, paused, looked right at my dad, snarled, and then slowly left.

His description to my mom matched what our neighbor kid had painted on the floor.

My dad was at work when this happened and it had been covered over for hours before he even got home.

My mom said that she had seen something similar to what he described.

I also wouldn't sleep in that room but I had attributed it to the windows. The room had a *lot* of windows and was quite open so I thought that's why I felt so exposed there. That was weird though because camping for us was a couple blankets, no tent and we had grown up on a family homestead. Walking out to the barn or pens to check animals in the dark was no big deal, if there was a moon we'd just leave the flashlight at home. We played in the woods all the time and never felt uneasy but I did not like that room.

I'm getting goosebumps going back through the story and typing this up, I have never seen my dad anywhere close to that unsettled before. It was really, really unnerving seeing a man that I didn't know could be afraid look like that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

View Quote

Any birbs hanging around a kitchen window?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#42]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
Seriously, though-

Above Index is only place in the world that I have felt that "fear of imminent death" from an unknown predator(s). I have been all over the place, in lots of hostile situations, and never have felt something like this before or since. But it gets better. First, some background:

To get to Index, you have to turn off the highway and cross a river which separates the town from the surrounding hills. In crossing the bridge, you get this creepy feeling that the bridge is the only way in or out (not true), and that the river is protecting the town from something...else...

The town itself is a nice little place under the shadow of Mount Index, which veritably looms over the town. There's an old wood frame hotel from the 1890's, a church, and some other architectural relics of the long-gone North Cascades gold rush. Index isn't a tourist spot, and is far enough off the highway that it doesn't get any drive-by business. People do live there, and they tend to look warily through their blinds at any vehicle they don't recognize. That's Index.

If you don't take the turn over the bridge into town, the road continues along the river. This is the Index-Galena road. There are cabins and old mobile homes and hunting shacks along the river side of the road. Go a little further, and there's a forest service road to the right. This is Forest Road 6310, or something like that. It climbs up towards Gunn Peak over a series of switchbacks. At the end of the road, there's an old clearcut, with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.

My wife and I (I already posted the wife pics, go find them.) went up there in the early fall once to picnic with a friend, who wanted to get his new XJ Cherokee Laredo up into the mountains to try out his new tires. He was flush with cash at the time, and volunteered with several Search and Rescue groups. Because of this, he had a Whelan full-width light bar with amber strobes mounted on the XJ. (this is important later in the story). We got up to the clearing in the early afternoon, broke out the food, and enjoyed the setting. Did a little plinking, that kind of thing (We had one Glock 17 and an SP-101 in .38 Special between the three of us.) It was a bit cool (we gained a pretty fair amount of elevation getting there), and we knew the temperature was going to drop as soon the shadows deepened. It darkened even more quickly than we expected, and we began to pack everything up. About then, we heard the first howl. It was a distant wolf- but there weren't supposed to be any wolves up here yet (This was the early '90's- they had not yet been reintroduced to the area). "That was cool" we thought. Then I suddenly got a chill down my back. I wheeled around to look at the nearby tree line- although the clearcut was still in dusky light, it was now pitch black in the trees. It hit me right about then- that primal fear. "We have to go. Now." I said. Our friend looked at me and said something like, "You afraid of a stupid wolf?" Then- another howl- in the treeline- not more than twenty yards away. We all looked at each other, collectively blinked once, and didn't waste any time getting into the jeep. Somehow, it was now dark already- and full dark once the road down entered the treeline. We could hear them all over now- even over the noise of the jeep's inline six- but the sound they made wasn't...quite...right... He started picking up the speed on the single lane gravel forest road. I reached forward and hit the switch for the left side scene lights on the light bar. This caused a single halogen lamp to shine on the trunks of trees as they sped past- and showing the reflection of many sets of eyes in the darkness behind the trees, They were moving- tracking our vehicle- which was now doing about 40 on the narrow road. "We'll lose them on this straight" he said, now pushing fifty. I hit the scene light switch again- only trees. Phew! That was silly, I thought. We're in a car, and we get freaked out by some stupid wolves. Great.

Now out of danger, we approach the first switchback- slow down, make the turn- and there ahead of us- about a half dozen HUGE wolves in the road- waiting for us. They had gone straight down the hill to cut us off at the switchback.-then they were gone. What the hell? Now, we're ALL freaked out. Now tearing down the road, sending gravel flying, approaching the next switchback. I had left both side scene lights on at this point, but all they illuminated were the trunks of trees on the sides of the road. I turned them off. We make the turn- nothing -no wolves. Suddenly, I had an idea- I switched on the strobes. Frozen in disco stop motion of the strobes on both sides of the jeep - wolves - EXCEPT THEY WERE ALL STANDING ON TWO FEET, LIKE MEN! They bound off in frozen staccato stop motion- back down the grade- presumably to meet us on the next switchback- and then-

- I don't remember anything else.
We were back on highway 2, heading towards Gold Bar. I turned off the strobes.

Stay away from Index after dark
View Quote

Dude.. that reads like a Lost Time Alien abduction story. Those were not wolves chasing you..
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#43]
20 years ago, I got up super early to go deer hunting with my cousin. We had to go about 30 minutes away and unlock 2 farm gates to drive all the way in to the place.
    My cousin was about 10 years older so 16 and 26. He told me very little about this new place. Anyway, we pull up to gate 1 and he hands me the lock keys. Just jump out and unlock the gate. I hop out and its pitch black except the headlights. I had this overwhelming sense.of dread and being watched. He tells me to.go.unlock.the gate.
I do, he pulls up and I lock the gate behind us.

What he left out, was you had to drive by the family cemetery to get to the second gate. I still have the keys so I jump out to unlock it. Then I froze, Everything in my brain said run. I get back in the truck.
Hes pissed, I said you unlock it I'll drive through.  When he got out  I chambered my 700. He walks to the front unlocks the gate and I drive through. He gets back in the passenger seat.

Out in the open it felt way better, so we head to the 2 person stand and hunt till 10am. We see nothing. No deer, no squirrels, no bugs, its like nothing was there. So we pack up and head out.

He never locked his truck, so when we get back to it he pulls out his keys and opens the door, and freezes.  Someone had been through the truck. Console open, glove box open but nothing missing. We reload our rifles. We get back to the first gate on the way out and unlock it and pull into the cemetery lot. The sun is up now and we can see.

It looked like something out of the Blair witch movie, shit hanging out of the trees, dolls spread around. And a fire pit right in the middle of the cemetery. I unlocked the last gate and we got the hell out of there. He swore till the day he died, that when he got the keys and permission a few weeks before it wasn't like that.

He also said that the reason he got pissed at me, when I wouldnt open the second gate, was because he was terrified to get out of the truck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I live in the middle of a dense forest. Lions and bears and all that. Its Thanksgiving morning at around 4AM and I'm hosting. The entire forest comes alive and wakes us up. Every animal and and bird is roaring and squaking for around ten seconds. Like nothing I've ever heard. Then everything goes silent. I look at my wife and she says WTF was that all about?

My brother doesnt show up for Thanksgiving and extended family is waiting on him. I drive to his house, let myself in and find him dead in the hallway. Later the coroner put the time of death at the exact time the forest erupted.

He was 43 and passed from complications from a career in underwater welding.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:57:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#45]
So thinking back on my nearly 40 yo life, I've had quite a few experiences myself so I'll do separate posts for some of them starting with the most recent.

I moved to Hawaii last year and stayed at an Inn on post near the entrance to Pearl Harbor right along the water. Due to the way my flights were booked, I didn't get to my room until about 1 am or so. I was exhausted and quickly fell asleep not long after emptying out my rental car. At about 3 am, I was awoken by three very loud knocks on my door. Not going to lie, my first instinct was to hide under my bed sheets

Instead, I actually got up, flicked a light on and headed towards the door. But rather than open the door, I opened the curtain beside it and mentally prepared myself for what I was about to see. I figured at 3 am it just might be some drunk troop that got the wrong room or a damn ghost. Instead I see.. not a damn thing. I then open the door, peak both left and right and don't see a soul in sight or hear anything except the breeze and the water. I think had I not been so tired, I would've been too spooked to go back to sleep but surprisingly I turned the light off and quickly dozed off again. Nice try spirit!

----------------------------

About 6-7 months later, I'm sitting in my office alone and waiting for my gov. issued computer to finish "logging in". All of a sudden I hear a crash behind me as though an object fell on the floor. Keep in mind, I was sitting still and there's no one in the office. I get up from my chair and start walking around the office scanning the floor for whatever fell. Nothing seems out of place. We had a coworker who deployed and we closed off his cubicle with a movable white board until he returned. I pushed it aside and didn't see anything on the ground there either.

But as I looked up at his desk, I noticed his phone's headset was off the hook from the receiver. Not missing a beat, I pick up the headset and say hello but instead of hearing a response back I hear a dead dial tone. These new phones if left off the hook for a long period of time will shut themselves off to prevent a continuous dead dial tone from going. So hearing it indicated to me the phone was freshly off the hook. I set the headset back on the receiver and flip it off with a finger and as the headset hit the desk it made the same exact sound I heard. I was a bit spooked once I realized this especially considering I was alone in the office and that cubicle had been vacant for months. But I had so much work ahead of me, I moved on rather than dwell on it further.. nice try again!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#46]
My ex wife and I bought a house just before we got married.  We got the keys on our wedding day.  

The house had a weird vibe to it.  1200 square foot ranch made in 1968 in a nice Detroit suburb.  The previous owners made the dining room into a home office.  Their son was probably seven and had his own bedroom.  The third bedroom was decorated like a nursery but they only had one kid.  I always got the vibe that they lost a child.  Why not convert the nursery into the office if their boy out grew it?  I don’t think the parents were ready to change the room.

The first night there after our honeymoon we had very little furniture.  We had a card table and a little color tv on a couple milk crates.  We were watching tv when we heard a man cough clearing his throat.  It sounded like it happened right next to us.  The window and sliding door were shut so it wasn’t from outside.  Scared the crap out of us.

We had three children four years apart.  We repainted the nursery and made it a nursery for our son. In the late evening on random days the nursery smelled like crap.  Not baby poop but like an adult shit their pants.  And only in that room and only for a few minutes.  It would appear and disappear.  Not the hallway or anywhere else in the house.  Just the baby’s nursery. I thought maybe the insulation in the ceiling light was moldy and started to stink when the lights warmed up.  I took the light down and the insulation is brand new.  Mold in the attic?  I checked it out and everything is dry with that attic smell of old papers and dry wood.  It finally stopped when our youngest daughter stopped sleeping in the crib and slept in her own bed.  She still sleeps in that room today and has never complained about a smell.  She will be 16 this month.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By steve88GT:
My ex wife and I bought a house just before we got married.  We got the keys on our wedding day.  

The house had a weird vibe to it.  1200 square foot ranch made in 1968 in a nice Detroit suburb.  The previous owners made the dining room into a home office.  Their son was probably seven and had his own bedroom.  The third bedroom was decorated like a nursery but they only had one kid.  I always got the vibe that they lost a child.  Why not convert the nursery into the office if their boy out grew it?  I don't think the parents were ready to change the room.

The first night there after our honeymoon we had very little furniture.  We had a card table and a little color tv on a couple milk crates.  We were watching tv when we heard a man cough clearing his throat.  It sounded like it happened right next to us.  The window and sliding door were shut so it wasn't from outside.  Scared the crap out of us.

We had three children four years apart.  We repainted the nursery and made it a nursery for our son. In the late evening on random days the nursery smelled like crap.  Not baby poop but like an adult shit their pants.  And only in that room and only for a few minutes.  It would appear and disappear.  Not the hallway or anywhere else in the house.  Just the baby's nursery. I thought maybe the insulation in the ceiling light was moldy and started to stink when the lights warmed up.  I took the light down and the insulation is brand new.  Mold in the attic?  I checked it out and everything is dry with that attic smell of old papers and dry wood.  It finally stopped when our youngest daughter stopped sleeping in the crib and slept in her own bed.  She still sleeps in that room today and has never complained about a smell.  She will be 16 this month.
View Quote
Human feces were apparently one of the common smells at the Amityville Horror house.    Even if the stories from there were embellished, some of the details may have been gleaned from other sources.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#48]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6gunfighter2] [#49]
Originally Posted By brass:

That's definitely creepy!   I've heard several stories about pets and family members "Feeling" when a loved one is going to or has passed, but never wild animals (except for earthquake warnings).  Was he out in the forest or something, or were you attached to the forest somehow?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brass:
Originally Posted By Milehi22:
I live in the middle of a dense forest. Lions and bears and all that. Its Thanksgiving morning at around 4AM and I'm hosting. The entire forest comes alive and wakes us up. Every animal and and bird is roaring and squaking for around ten seconds. Like nothing I've ever heard. Then everything goes silent. I look at my wife and she says WTF was that all about?

My brother doesnt show up for Thanksgiving and extended family is waiting on him. I drive to his house, let myself in and find him dead in the hallway. Later the coroner put the time of death at the exact time the forest erupted.

He was 43 and passed from complications from a career in underwater welding.

That's definitely creepy!   I've heard several stories about pets and family members "Feeling" when a loved one is going to or has passed, but never wild animals (except for earthquake warnings).  Was he out in the forest or something, or were you attached to the forest somehow?

I've had the opposite happen a time or two while out in the woods.

IOW, suddenly all the nature sounds (birds, insects, etc) just suddenly STOP, for no apparent reason.

I have heard from expert woodsmen before that this usually means an apex predator is afoot nearby, but IDK how true that is (or why it would cause a sudden silence).
Link Posted: Today 3:21:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#50]
So back in February my wife and I got bored and decided to pass the time by fishing along the nasty Ala Wai canal (catch and release). One weekend we're quietly sitting along the canal's edge around sunset as pictured here:

As I'm waiting for something/anything to bite the line, I get startled by a woman's voice maybe 15-20 feet directly behind us who says "Hey you guys!". My wife also reacts at the same time I do and we both look behind us only to see.. no one. I mean absolutely no one behind us nor walking on either side of us. My wife ask me "You heard that right?" And I ask her to explain what she heard and I confirm I heard the same thing. Now I quickly dismiss the incident as maybe a stray voice carried by the water or directly behind us from the Convention Center (even though it was closed).

The following weekend we go to the same exact spot around sunset as well. My wife is sitting to my left as we dangle our feet over the edge near the canal. I have a line out and my wife is surfing the net on her phone. All of a sudden I hear footsteps walk from my right to my left DIRECTLY BEHIND my wife and I. It sounded maybe an arms length away from us. The footsteps were so loud and heavy that even the sound of the leaves being crunched as it walked could be heard. The wife and I both reacted instantaneously at the sound and looked behind us to see.. no one. And again, not one soul in sight near us not even any bums.

My wife once again asked "You heard that right?". Yes hun, I most definitely heard that but this time I could not come up with a logical explanation for what we just experienced. Surprisingly we continued fishing (catching nothing) for a little while longer but the whole time we just talked about what we experienced.

We have not been back since
Page / 149
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top