Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jafrush:
It didn't look to me like it should have been enough spin to pop a CV, but videos can be deceiving.

ATRAC needs a little wheel spin before it starts activating ABS. It did look a little more than you need for ATRAC, but again nothing Id say is abuse really. Shit happens though.

Will be interesting to see where it was. Also remember they're doing it for views at the end of the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Break something? Wheeling (kinda?) It's Thursday

I like Smirnov and Mica - they should drive more and kibitz less tho . Maybe ice cleats next time - LMAO

Agree - didn't appear to be abusive but spinning then abruptly regaining (snow/ice > rock) can shock load. But if the noise was indicative of the actual failure - I didn't see that. Stuff happens - if we start seeing more of this, then concern. The very early Tundra 5.7 had a small number of cams literally snap. Identified and  fixed  - that engines turned out fine (ok cam tower leaks ) but otherwise damn good.

@JaFrush - you'll chuckle. Interested in thoughts

It didn't look to me like it should have been enough spin to pop a CV, but videos can be deceiving.

ATRAC needs a little wheel spin before it starts activating ABS. It did look a little more than you need for ATRAC, but again nothing Id say is abuse really. Shit happens though.

Will be interesting to see where it was. Also remember they're doing it for views at the end of the day.

Sometimes takes surprisingly little. I huffed a 10 spline half shaft coming out of a ford onto slick, muddy, not to steep bank. Spun a bit on the slick incline then transitioned to dry hardback - pop. I doubted I had enough grunt to break anything. Obviously looking at the splines there was some previous action and it finally let go.

Views. Why, generally, I hate the creator centered media hackage automotive coverage has become. TFL and Son Nguyen are aight.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Sometimes takes surprisingly little. I huffed a 10 spline half shaft coming out of a ford onto slick, muddy, not to steep bank. Spun a bit on the slick incline then transitioned to dry hardback - pop. I doubted I had enough grunt to break anything. Obviously looking at the splines there was some previous action and it finally let go.

Views. Why, generally, I hate the creator centered media hackage automotive coverage has become. TFL and Son Nguyen are aight.

View All Quotes

Break something? Wheeling (kinda?) It's Thursday

I like Smirnov and Mica - they should drive more and kibitz less tho . Maybe ice cleats next time - LMAO

Agree - didn't appear to be abusive but spinning then abruptly regaining (snow/ice > rock) can shock load. But if the noise was indicative of the actual failure - I didn't see that. Stuff happens - if we start seeing more of this, then concern. The very early Tundra 5.7 had a small number of cams literally snap. Identified and  fixed  - that engines turned out fine (ok cam tower leaks ) but otherwise damn good.

@JaFrush - you'll chuckle. Interested in thoughts

Just takes a fraction of a second with that rotating mass unexpectedly grabbing traction
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Just takes a fraction of a second with that rotating mass unexpectedly grabbing traction
View Quote

Will be interesting to see the cause. I could also see that an overly aggressive brake apply by the traction control could simulate a similar sudden traction event, and plenty of people have already gone out and said the new gen ATRAC is different than what we've seen so far.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Will be interesting to see the cause. I could also see that an overly aggressive brake apply by the traction control could simulate a similar sudden traction event, and plenty of people have already gone out and said the new gen ATRAC is different than what we've seen so far.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I'm hearing that the new ATRAC is vastly different, and heard from a friend (so phone tree grain of salt) that a Toyota engineer told them that Toyota would prefer people use crawl instead of ATRAC (ick). Crawl may be better for a complete newb, but I can't stand it.

Haven't been around a new one driving yet though to see for myself.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

I thought of that, but watched a few times and I didn't see any sudden wheel stop. But was the vid and sound original - I don't trust vids. Not saying anything is amiss. TFL has always appeared straight up, but was that sound even indicative of the issue.

If you watch tho, the front left wheel continues to be locked for much of the time when you watch the under side vid as Mica is rolling backward after the failure. Might be something there.

Recall these peeps (think Mica at the wheel) sent the Rebel's drive shaft. Their techniques not quite mechanically sympathetic.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

Peppers is right here in my town.. I have never personally had good luck with them.. But maybe something has changed.. Are the Pro's even available? bro told me that toyotas site doesnt even give an option to build a pro.
View Quote

They are selling at MSRP.  There is a lady by the name of Amy that I worked with to test drive one a few weeks ago.  I came in on a Saturday from Nashville.  Truck sold Friday night but she worked it out with the new owner that I could still do my test drive on Saturday since the new owner was not picking it up until Monday.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

They are selling at MSRP.  There is a lady by the name of Amy that I worked with to test drive one a few weeks ago.  I came in on a Saturday from Nashville.  Truck sold Friday night but she worked it out with the new owner that I could still do my test drive on Saturday since the new owner was not picking it up until Monday.
View Quote

"They" as in peppers? Ill tell my brother.. Looks like he is really leaning towards the pro, so looks like he is gonna have to wait a couple months before those are out in the wild
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

"They" as in peppers? Ill tell my brother.. Looks like he is really leaning towards the pro, so looks like he is gonna have to wait a couple months before those are out in the wild
View Quote

Yes to Peppers.  Also if he wants a pro he will need to get on a dealer list.  Last time I spoke to Beaman they had 10 to 15 people already on the list for both the Pro and Trail Hunter.  I like them since they don't require a deposit.  I did not ask Peppers about their list.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Yes to Peppers.  Also if he wants a pro he will need to get on a dealer list.  Last time I spoke to Beaman they had 10 to 15 people already on the list for both the Pro and Trail Hunter.  I like them since they don't require a deposit.  I did not ask Peppers about their list.
View Quote

On the slightly brighter side, a few of those people will likely drop off when it comes to actually buying one.

Toyota dealers had 20+ people on the list for the GR Corolla and the amount of people who followed through were much, much lower.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#10]

I thought of that, but watched a few times and I didn't see any sudden wheel stop. But was the vid and sound original - I don't trust vids. Not saying anything is amiss. TFL has always appeared straight up, but was that sound even indicative of the issue.

If you watch tho, the front left wheel continues to be locked for much of the time when you watch the under side vid as Mica is rolling backward after the failure. Might be something there.

Recall these peeps (think Mica at the wheel) sent the Rebel's drive shaft. Their techniques not quite mechanically sympathetic.

View Quote

Watching it in slow motion and the left wheel is spinning up until the sound and the truck bounces. Whatever did go ended up releasing a good bit of energy.

They certainly aren't delicate with their vehicles but it's not like what they were doing was all that out of the ordinary from what they've done prior.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Watching it in slow motion and the left wheel is spinning up until the sound and the truck bounces. Whatever did go ended up releasing a good bit of energy.

They certainly aren't delicate with their vehicles but it's not like what they were doing was all that out of the ordinary from what they've done prior.
View All Quotes

True, there's always been an abundant lack of finesse. Not abuse tho. No violent sawing or inertia runs. Just a bit hamfisted.

I went and watched again, I see what you saw.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Asked around enough this afternoon in my circles that we think we found out it's currently sitting at a dealer in CO, diagnosis grenaded front differential.

But that may or may not be accurate
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Asked around enough this afternoon in my circles that we think we found out it's currently sitting at a dealer in CO, diagnosis grenaded front differential.

View Quote

Keep us posted please!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:12:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#14]

View Quote

Hmm - so pinion or axles? I'm guessing left axle the way it was seizing when he was rolling back. Early adopting . . .

We'll know soon enough - wonder if we'll get to see a tear down or failed part. QE guys will likely want to see it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's What Broke on Our New Toyota Tacoma When We Took It Off-Road!

The ADD broke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTyNLwBHfE

The ADD broke.
View Quote

I have that.  What's that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:16:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#17]
But it "failed in a good way"

No surprise CE Brown and someone from Vazin's group got right on it, maybe McAllsiter or someone from the Aurora office or maybe Plano. But yea shows how YT has changed the face of Mfg Outreach and the media biz.

Good to see Toyota involved tho and we'll see (anyone know of any other N400 failures?) if there's any other ADD failures, which could be indicative.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:18:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#18]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTyNLwBHfE

The ADD broke.

Good explanation here

https://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/the-automatic-disconnecting-differential-system-19259.html

There's vac and electric systems, almost certain the current is electrically actuated, but not up to date on Tacoma stuff. Someone will likely chime in tho

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems a little disingenuous to characterize the ADD as a sort of "fusible link".

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#20]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Seems a little disingenuous to characterize the ADD as a sort of "fusible link".

View Quote

True.

But if the context is, there was engineering consideration given to ensuring that if something broke, it wouldn't immobilizes the vehicle, I'm cool. Esp given some of the failures I've experienced which obviously didn't make that effort.

Even more so if the consideration was, let's ensure any failure initiates in a portion of the system that will avoid immobilizing the vehicle.

That said I have no idea either of these were contemplated or system goals. It's also true whenever shit breaks the claim is "That piece is the fuse".  It's also not the first ADD failing, merely likely the first N400. It's never seem to be a weak point on Tacos or Hilux.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I would consider this depending upon the parts and labor cost to fix it.

I would speculate that in between the transmission and the transfer case is a pretty good place to put such a component. But if this is a job that books for a bunch of hours at the service department? Nah.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Whatever it was it shouldn’t have broke at all gently slipping on an ice covered rock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#23]
The Toyota ADD is about $900 (im sure you can get it cheaper online vs dealer cost), plus you need to replace some of the diff fluid, but not a lot. Its 4 bolts, though I believe the book states the diff/axle has to be partly lowered, cant remember.  Lots of people replace it without touching the axle.  The fail on 3rd gens a lot because water gets in them.

Now if the shift fork broke off inside the diff it might have caused additional damage or marred the slot the fork sits in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Nobody here has one yet?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
Nobody here has one yet?
View Quote

I've driven dozens, does that count?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
Nobody here has one yet?
View Quote

Even Tacoma World seems to be slow rolling it with actual owners reporting in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:45:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I think there are like 10 to 15K sold by now.  The QC hold they have had for the last 30 days has not helped though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I think there are like 10 to 15K sold by now.  The QC hold they have had for the last 30 days has not helped though.
View Quote

Has the QC hold been confirmed? Local lot has two SR5’s on the lot ready to go. They said they could have the premium packaged TRDOR delivered 4/18 for me if I put $1000 deposit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20240229_201614178-01_jpeg-3163023.JPG
View Quote
The red one up top looks already dented below the mirror.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 4thbreak:
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20240229_201614178-01_jpeg-3163023.JPG

Class A surface design

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Never buy a new gen vehicle the first year it's released.

Even with a Toyota.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

They all look that, sir.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:24:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Basko00] [#33]
Holy cow!  You dented all of them!!  

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Has the QC hold been confirmed? Local lot has two SR5’s on the lot ready to go. They said they could have the premium packaged TRDOR delivered 4/18 for me if I put $1000 deposit.
View Quote

Confirmed and also lifted for the ones that have been checked out.  They haven't said what it was for but a lot of speculation around the grill shutter temp sensor missing a gasket and getting water logged.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Confirmed and also lifted for the ones that have been checked out.  They haven't said what it was for but a lot of them speculation around the grill shutter temp sensor missing a gasket and getting water logged.
View Quote

Aww man that sucks
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I am really liking the red color!  Not my truck/photos.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Sharp.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like people are starting to post on the taco forums they they are getting their Pro and Trailhunter allocations now, but no price yet. One guy listed his pro has $5900 in port add ons.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like people are starting to post on the taco forums they they are getting their Pro and Trailhunter allocations now, but no price yet. One guy listed his pro has $5900 in port add ons.
View Quote

I still haven't seen a new Tacoma of any flavor in the wild yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Syndicate] [#41]
@GenYRevolverGuy  

71 show ground status and sold in MO compared to TN  at 189.  I have not seen one on the road yet but I have test driven 2 on dealer lots.  

Here are some off roads that might be on dealer lots now but all but 1 show a dealer hold:

VINColorTrimBodyCabBed Size MSRP  Dealer Price  Dealer Markup DealerCityStateStatusIs PresoldHold Status
3TYLB5JN2RT011479UndergroundTacoma TRD Off-RoadTacoma TRD Off-RoadDouble Cab5-ft bed $55,163  $-  $- JAY WOLFE TOYOTA OF W CTYBALLWINMOGROUNDFALSEAvailable
3TMLB5JN8RM003866Bronze OxideTacoma TRD Off-RoadTacoma TRD Off-RoadDouble Cab5-ft bed $49,924  $49,924  $- COAD TOYOTACAPE GIRARDEAUMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TYLB5JN2RT007805Ice CapTacoma TRD Off-RoadTacoma TRD Off-RoadDouble Cab5-ft bed $54,420  $-  $- ADAMS TOYOTA LEE'S SUMMITLEE'S SUMMITMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TYLB5JN7RT006133BlackTacoma TRD Off-RoadTacoma TRD Off-RoadDouble Cab5-ft bed $50,084  $-  $- JERRY ACKERMAN TOYOTASAINT LOUISMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TMLB5JN1RM003904Blue Crush MetallicTacoma TRD Off-RoadTacoma TRD Off-RoadDouble Cab5-ft bed $47,255  $-  $- JERRY ACKERMAN TOYOTASAINT LOUISMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TMLB5JN5RM002366Blue Crush MetallicTacoma TRD Off-RoadTacoma TRD Off-RoadDouble Cab5-ft bed $47,209  $-  $- TOYOTA OF WEST PLAINSWEST PLAINSMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold

SR5 models

VINColorTrimBodyCabBed Size MSRP  Dealer Price  Dealer Markup DealerCityStateStatusIs PresoldHold Status
3TYLB5JN1RT009741Supersonic Red [extra_cost_color]Tacoma SR5Tacoma SR5Double Cab5-ft bed $48,308  $48,308  $- RUSTY DREWING TOYOTAJEFFERSON CITYMOGROUNDFALSE
3TYLB5JN2RT009442Ice CapTacoma SR5Tacoma SR5Double Cab5-ft bed $45,884  $45,884  $- MOLLE TOYOTA, INC.KANSAS CITYMOGROUNDFALSEAvailable
3TYLB5JN1RT000845BlackTacoma SR5Tacoma SR5Double Cab5-ft bed $46,280  $-  $- ROLLING HILLS TOYOTAST. JOSEPHMOGROUNDFALSEAvailable
3TMLB5JN7RM002952UndergroundTacoma SR5Tacoma SR5Double Cab5-ft bed $43,772  $-  $- SEEGER TOY OF ST. ROBERTST. ROBERTMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TYLB5JN3RT003908Blue Crush MetallicTacoma SR5Tacoma SR5Double Cab5-ft bed $43,359  $-  $- TOYOTA OF WEST PLAINSWEST PLAINSMOGROUNDFALSEAvailable

Sports

3TYLB5JN1RT011859Solar Octane [extra_cost_color]Tacoma TRD SportTacoma TRD SportDouble Cab5-ft bed $50,159  $-  $- SEEGER TOYOTACREVE COEURMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TYLB5JN8RT012698Supersonic Red [extra_cost_color]Tacoma TRD SportTacoma TRD SportDouble Cab5-ft bed $53,285  $-  $- JAY WOLFE TOYOTAKANSAS CITYMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold
3TYLB5JN7RT012322Supersonic Red [extra_cost_color]Tacoma TRD SportTacoma TRD SportDouble Cab5-ft bed $50,184  $-  $- JAY WOLFE TOYOTAKANSAS CITYMOGROUNDFALSEDealerHold

There are a bunch more in freight status.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#42]
I've seen a few in the wild and hundreds on the ground.

Attachment Attached File

These are all in the 5,500 VIN range, so Tacos are getting out there.  

Interestingly, these three are going to Hertz and they are all missing the ginormous air dam.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#43]

I've seen a few in the wild and hundreds of the ground.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/1000008895_png-3177934.JPG

Interestingly, these three are going to Hertz and they are all missing the ginormous air dam.
View Quote
Maybe Hertz knows that air dam will last about 15 minutes on a rental.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

If they are the Off Road model and at least one looks like it is then it will not have it.  The SR5, SR, Sport, and Limited all have them though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I would really like to see the price of the Pro and TrailHunter if you guys see anything.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Syndicate] [#46]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
I would really like to see the price of the Pro and TrailHunter if you guys see anything.
View Quote

It should be soon.  There is allegedly a drive event this weekend and the embargo will be lifted soon.  Here is a Pro build sheet but missing base pricing.  

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/attachments/vspec_tacoma_trd-pro2-pdf.11324/

Here is one for a trail hunter.  These are the only 2 allocations I have seen posted so far.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/just-received-a-build-date-for-my-trailhunter-allocation-standard-features-confirmed.3582/
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#47]

It should be soon.  There is allegedly a drive event this weekend and the embargo will be lifted soon.  Here is a Pro build sheet but missing base pricing.  

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/attachments/vspec_tacoma_trd-pro2-pdf.11324/

Here is one for a trail hunter.  These are the only 2 allocations I have seen posted so far.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/just-received-a-build-date-for-my-trailhunter-allocation-standard-features-confirmed.3582/
View Quote

Thanks man
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#48]

If they are the Off Road model and at least one looks like it is then it will not have it.  The SR5, SR, Sport, and Limited all have them though.
View All Quotes

Wild today - TRD Off Road Auto

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I have found some dealers already doing 2 to 3k off but I would imagine a lot more are going to be dealing soon. My local dealer had about 20.  Here is a picture of some of them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I drove a blue TRD off-road this morning, was pretty basic with no upgrades. I just wanted to see how they ride. Power plant and transmission much improved over the last gen. No surprises but it’s a little truck with 4 banger turbo.  I keep thinking I want a smaller truck but I’m coming from a 6.2l V8 GMC Sierra. Not convinced I want to give up the full size.
Page / 20
Top Top