BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Romeo and Jawliet
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Will Juliet fall from a four story balcony?
In!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Palm:
I vote for 1968
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew one would be black. No shocker there.

But goddamn, she’s ugly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
It's just fucking tiresome at this point.

IDGAF. I won't support or, not many others will, it will flop
View Quote
The "elites" will support it and it'll have early success and rave reviews. Then it will have no legs once nobody else wants to see that crap. My ex and I took our kids to a few live productions to expose them to the performing arts. Seeing a Broadway play is on my bucket list. Unfortunately there hasn't been anything worth going to since Wicked, Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat or Into the Woods. Phantom was a shit story about a deformed squatter and kidnapper with music so melodramatic you could choke on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By nvroundman:
That is an ugly dude
View Quote

The white guy's no Richard Burton either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this supposed to be a “Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner” style retelling of Romeo and Juliette?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
How much longer can hollywierd continue to make this crap before they go broke? They make nothing worthwhile anymore…
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:01:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hadrian] [#10]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:
They know they won't make money, it's about destroying culture.
View Quote
Clearly.  But as this thread has shown it still has entertainment value, just not how they expected.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
It will flop, as it should.

Then we'll be lectured about how Neanderthal and evil we all are.
View Quote

Pffft.  I can live with that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll pass.  Go woke blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say this will fail however it is released. These woke remakes are a joke.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
In the past I could have said that I've seen all the versions.

Not any more. I will wait for the reviews about "racist audiences" and why it flopped.

And I had no problems with Denzel as "Don Pedro" in "Much Ado About Nothing."
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Olivia Hussey FTW

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/Capture_JPG-3217633.JPG
View Quote

She's my favorite Juliet. I always thought Olivia Hussey was absolutely gorgeous.

It's unfortunate they have gone off the rails with the latest R&J. It doesn't do anything but make life difficult for the person they have chosen because they do not fit the role and it pisses people off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Romeo and diversity
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1776:
"yo Romeo where da fuck you at bruh Moth#%Fu@&*%?"
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#18]
lol

What a fucking joke
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Romeo and a socially engineered Juliet
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
It's sad that so many excellent female actresses were overlooked in order to give the part to someone based on race.
View Quote

I think there are two main parts to this tragedy.
1. The fact that they chose the actress based on race as the primary characteristic.  Seems like even if they insisted on having a black female play Juliette they could have found one that was more feminine and who looked younger.

2. The historical part.  Given the time and place that Romeo and Juliette was originally placed, how many black families were there in that time and that location?  How many well-to-do black families were there?  It would have been better if they had made it a "Based on Romeo and Juliette" story in a different location and time.  They could place it in America in the 1950s or 1960s, and at least made some attempt at historical accuracy for that time and place.  They could have had fun with it and had Romeo climbing the fire escape to the 4th floor apartment where Juliette's family lived.  

I understand the reasons they are doing this, or at least some of them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tras:
Plausible reason to kill themselves?
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
"In faire Zimbabwe where we set our scene..."
View Quote

That could work. Imagine a historical drama about the son of a prominent member of the British South Africa Company becoming romantically involved with a native girl under the backdrop of the First Matabele War. Lots of Martini Henry and Maxim action. There are accounts of Matabele warriors committing suicide rather than returning defeated, say during the Battle of the Shangani. I'm sure you could work that into a Romeo and Juliet story.

That's how you make good movies, by adapting stories to new settings. The Magnificent Seven worked even though it was an adaptation of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai because they set it in Mexico with American gunfighters instead of dressing Steve McQueen up as a Japanese man in feudal Japan. Thank God John Wayne didn't have any part in the movie. After The Conqueror, I don't think I could make it through Wayne-san being a samurai.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]
By casting the apparent sister to Bubba
from the movie "Forrest Gump" as Juliet
the director has brilliantly provided added
motivation for Romeo to off himself.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:33:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#25]
Funny thread ............. 5 pages of posts by people triggered by the new Juliette who would never watch R&J regardless of the actors.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Disgusting!

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Didn’t matter they already had that plot in Othello huh
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By shack357:
Why do they have to keep recasting traditionally white characters as black? Why not make new characters, amd cast THOSE as black?

All they're doing when they recast, is telling black people they can have characters but they're not good enough to have "their own" characters.
View Quote

Its all part of the plan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ENGCPT] [#29]
Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder, but that chick is ugly.

But soft what light through yonder window breaks? I can see because that chin blocks the light.

I'm usually one that believed if you have to attack someone's looks, you're probably not too smart (i may be dumb but you're ugly) but in this case.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Why do they have to keep recasting traditionally white characters as black? Why not make new characters, amd cast THOSE as black?
View Quote

It's fucking Shakespeare.  The race of the actor/ress don't matter.

Did you complain when Denzel was cast in "Much Ado About Nothing"?

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I think a lot of people are missing that this is NOT a movie or film, it's a play.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/tom-holland-romeo-and-juliet-to-transfer-to-broadway-after-london-west-end-1235877606/
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Strela:
In the past I could have said that I've seen all the versions.

Not any more. I will wait for the reviews about "racist audiences" and why it flopped.

And I had no problems with Denzel as "Don Pedro" in "Much Ado About Nothing."
View Quote

I looked it up as a curiosity. One site claimed this play has been being shown almost continuously since 1590, the most popular of any from Shakespeare. I highly doubt anyone has seen all the versions. A lot of people here seem to think this has something to do with Hollywood and a new movie.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Funny thread ............. 5 pages of posts by people triggered by the new Juliette who would never watch R&J regardless of the actors.
View Quote

And some of the posts have made me go from joining dogpile to embarrassed by it. Yes, she's ugly, but she's apparently a  very talented (if unfortunately masculine in appearance) British gal whose parents hail from Africa. There is nothing ghetto about her. But GD has to be GD.

And seems half the posters don't know the difference between a West End play and a Hollywood movie. So, yeah, it's a safe bet they aren't representing lost ticket sales.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Olivia Hussey FTW

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/Capture_JPG-3217633.JPG
View Quote
I couldn't get out of my seat until things calmed down after watching a certain scene in 8th grade...
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:

Indeed. It's a tradition that used to have all of the women okayed by men, and be its very nature has Italians usually played by Englishman, speaking English. Why is skintone suddenly so super important?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

And some of the posts have made me go from joining dogpile to embarrassed by it. Yes, she's ugly, but she's apparently a  very talented (if unfortunately masculine in appearance) British gal whose parents hail from Africa. There is nothing ghetto about her. But GD has to be GD.

And seems half the posters don't know the difference between a West End play and a Hollywood movie. So, yeah, it's a safe bet they aren't representing lost ticket sales.
View All Quotes

Sorry, it's like Rodney Dangerfield playing Blade. [Wesley Snipes Blade] It just doesn't work, and R&J, where/when it was set in the original play [and I HAVE been to Stratford on Avon and enjoy a GOOD Shakespeare movie/play]

It's all about pandering, hell I'd watch a Shakespeare play if the Bard wrote it about the woke bullshit that goes on today in the theatre.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Sorry, it's like Rodney Dangerfield playing Blade. [Wesley Snipes Blade] It just doesn't work, and R&J, where/when it was set in the original play [and I HAVE been to Stratford on Avon and enjoy a GOOD Shakespeare movie/play]

It's all about pandering, hell I'd watch a Shakespeare play if the Bard wrote it about the woke bullshit that goes on today in the theatre.
View All Quotes

I'm not saying it "works." I am saying some of the posts here have gone from suck to blow.

I am saying this controversy will likely bump ticket sales, at least initially. When is the last time anyone has talked this much about a Rome and Juliet production?

I am saying the fixation on race, as if these shows need to be 100% period authentic, is comical and not very consistent.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By nvroundman:
That is an ugly dude
View Quote

Fucking nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Those idiots in Hollywood are not only hell bent on self destruction but they are also sick in the mind.

I'm just a little surprised that Romeo is White and Juliet Black and not the other way around.

Of course next they are going to do the story where the two lovers are homosexuals.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:02:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#40]

I'm not saying it "works." I am saying some of the posts here have gone from suck to blow.

I am saying this controversy will likely bump ticket sales, at least initially. When is the last time anyone has talked this much about a Rome and Juliet production?

I am saying the fixation on race, as if these shows need to be 100% period authentic, is comical and not very consistent.

View All Quotes

If you think 1 1/10th of 1percent of the Black/AA community is going to see this R&J or that your typical Asian/Hispanic/white people are going to flock to see this movie, you are wrong, it'll flop worse then a live fish tossed onto hot asphalt. You'll get some woke fat white chicks with cats  and some theatre community people who may see it but past that, yeah, not going to happen. There are WAY better representations already out there and have been for, well, many decades as far as on a movie screen.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#41]

If you think 1 1/10th of 1percent of the Black/AA community is going to see this R&J or that your typical Asian/Hispanic/white people are going to flock to see this movie, you are wrong, it'll flop worse then a live fish tossed onto hot asphalt. You'll get some woke fat white chicks with cats  and some theatre community people who may see it but past that, yeah, not going to happen. There are WAY better representations already out there and have been for, well, many decades as far as on a movie screen.
View All Quotes

IT'S NOT A MOVIE!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#42]

This thread is gold.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Ohhh super edgy!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Kevin Hart sure does look a lot taller with long hair, braids, weaves, whatever.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the _________?
View Quote

twerker?

trans woman?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Palm:
I vote for 1968
View Quote

1968 all the way.  +1
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#47]
This will make 10's of dollars at the box office.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenKabooky] [#48]
She is only in that role because she is ugly.  I would not touch her with a ten foot pole if she was spread eagle naked on my bed and said take me big boy.  Essence denied.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:50:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#49]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Can she act? In the end if she can effectively play someone else as well as any other actress can play someone else I really don't care.
Page / 10
Top Top