Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/8/2024 5:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord]
We had a concrete pad installed by our fence line. As you can see in the photo below, the concrete doesn’t look even. Has a dip in it.

Contractor is saying they have to put a dip in it for rain to run off so it doesn’t impact the neighbor. Is this legit or bullshit?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would they do something that's a pain in the ass if it wasn't required?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Some locations have laws stating that you can not redirect ground water runoff onto a neighbors property.
IDK about yours.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Around here you usually slope the whole pad for water runoff you don’t put a dip in it for a trough.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Why wouldn’t they slope the pad instead of putting that dip in it? That looks ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nophun:
Why would they do something that's a pain in the ass if it wasn't required?
View Quote

To me not knowing about concrete work it looks like it wasn’t leveled properly aka easier on the ass. If I’m wrong by all means correct me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It makes sense I guess.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
How big is the pad?   I can see why someone would do that vs adding a slope to the entire pad, but it would depend on the rest of the pad.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a pad with a dip in it leading to a French drain. Must not be that unusual.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
There are more elegant ways to solve water control than that.  I think he pressed the easy button.  Alternatives exist (like a drain routed elsewhere are more costly), what did he do to mitigate water undermining the pad?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:
How big is the pad?   I can see why someone would do that vs adding a slope to the entire pad, but it would depend on the rest of the pad.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
They could have done other things to make sure the water stays on your property.
Could have done a small curb at the line or they could have designed the patio to have a very slight slope to direct the water to your yard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#12]
Without previous explanation, that would be a nope for me. Got to engineer water runoff? Then either slope the pad or put in a French drain. But tell me what the finished product will look like.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Can I get a pic from the other angle?  Looks to me like the form was about to blow out and they rammed a bunch of sticks in to reinforce after it already blew out some....
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#14]
If they sloped it away from your neighbor would it go into your house?

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]

LOL you expected your neighbor to be ok with the runoff from that?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:

To me not knowing about concrete work it looks like it wasn’t leveled properly aka easier on the ass. If I’m wrong by all means correct me.
View Quote

Can't do that because I don't know the codes for your area but it look deliberate rather than lazy to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord] [#17]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:

I think the contractor should have explained it in the beginning. If I’m supposed to be okay with it then that’s cool, but I was just asking if it was legit or not.

Also this neighbor expects me to be okay with his loud music late at night. Win some, lose some, I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Now the water will run over that dip, and wash out the soil under the concrete.  
You'll need to divert the water somewhere with a drainage pipe.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Can't do that because I don't know the codes for your area but it look deliberate rather than lazy to me.
View All Quotes

When I asked him about it he said it would be illegal to fill in. Said it would be a code violation.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Fu*king water man. Can’t live with it. Cant live without it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
Around here you usually slope the whole pad for water runoff you don’t put a dip in it for a trough.
View Quote

This right here that looks like shit!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#23]
He gave you a swale. Water has to go somewhere. He probably didn’t want to make your pad feel like it was going down hill and reduced the slope. It’s not pretty, but it should work and keep you and him out of trouble.

(snip)

Also this neighbor expects me to be okay with his loud music late at night. Win some, lose some, I suppose.
View Quote

It would have to be pretty loud to cause the sort of property damage that the runoff from that concrete slab might potentially cause during a storm.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#24]

When I asked him about it he said it would be illegal to fill in. Said it would be a code violation.
View Quote

Ask what section of what code.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]
That looks intentional so maybe?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Should have been discussed/explained beforehand.

Now? I’d call codes and ask them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the whole pad sloped toward that chute? I guess it makes sense if that’s the case. You’ll still need a drain of some sort where that runs off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#28]
You get what you vote for...
No dopey shit like that in NY lol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#29]
It looks intentional, he's probably had that same problem before and decided to mitigate it by keeping all your water on your property.

He could have made it smoother though by widening the swale a bit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I can see the logic, but I wouldn't want the runoff aimed at the foundation of my fence. Why not direct it out into the yard?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By freedomescape:
Why wouldn’t they slope the pad instead of putting that dip in it? That looks ridiculous.
View Quote

Depending on his yard's grade, that may have been the only option.

It's a lot harder to make what's in the photo v. simply sloping the pad for drainage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Fu*king water man. Can’t live with it. Cant live without it.

View Quote

I don't have anything to add about your concrete but I'll second this.  Some days I think I'd be ok with houses not having indoor plumbing anymore.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#33]
Texas Water Code - WATER 11.086 | FindLaw https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/water-code/water-sect-11-086/

"No person may divert or impound the natural flow of surface waters in this state, or permit a diversion or impounding by him to continue, in a manner that damages the property of another by the overflow of the water diverted or impounded."

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I had my driveway redone a few years back, the contractor (a friend of mine) sloped all the water run off back to my backyard...typical city lot postage stamp, detached 2-1/2 stall garage,  roughly 20x20' that has an alley access.

It was explained to me after the fact that, that the city would not allow run off anywhere but my own property.

Moral of the story, maybe do some of your own research because concrete guys aren't going to tell you jack. Educate yourself, then ask questions.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#35]
My biggest concern is he didn’t discuss it with you first.
During the hiring process he should have told you what code called for and discussed options and let you choose what you’d prefer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like absolute dog shit OP.  There are about 10 different ways you could prevent water from running off that pad without having to do some dumb ass dip like that.  If grandma sets her chair down in that spot she's going to the hospital.

If it were my house, I'd most likely do some type of trench drain along the fence line that takes water out to the low side.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Thats a big NO.   It should be draining into a french drain or something similar.   That looks like poor workmanship.  No way would I tolerste that
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Tell him to rip it out and plan on redoing it. After he rips it out tell him to gtfo and call someone else.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Good looking dirt op.

Didn’t read, but joints look ok.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord] [#40]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Good looking dirt op.

View Quote

@boolzi

Should I keep the dirt? He was going to haul it off later this week.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#41]
It was done on purpose OP, look at the forms, agree he should of said something about it, but I know I would of said something before the pour when I would of saw the forms positioned in that fucked up way.

That is fucking stupid, but I do not think the contractor did a crappy job, he did this on purpose.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#42]

@boolzi

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Good looking dirt op.

@boolzi

From the pics it’s primo topsoil. If you don’t need it let it go, your yard is obviously full of it, but it would be good for a raised garden bed. Maybe some pot needles? lol

I’m a dirt guy, I just look at people’s dirt and wish my land had it.
But the reason cities are built on our best top soil is the founders/frontier people congregated and live where the best soil is, it’s just where people would naturally live. Towns popped up and then cities. Our concrete jungles cover up some of the best topsoil we have. Good for the suburbs, bad for ag.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Considering size of pad. It's fine.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

View Quote

Exactly.   Did you have a chance to see the forms before he placed the concrete?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Exactly.   Did you have a chance to see the forms before he placed the concrete?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Nope. Whole thing was quoted at $3k.

Standard,  4" thick rebar #3 @18" centers 3500 psi concrete broom finish
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#46]
There's a chance the excuse might be legitimate, but that's the kind of thing that needs to be discussed and agreed on before pouring.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#47]
better talk to the guy more, it looks lagit, why extra work and it looks fairly decent, if they don't need to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Couple other views.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm no contractor but it looks like <10 yards so minimum truck load, probably $1k just to have it delivered.  Assuming you got it excavated, gravel covered, formed, rebared, poured, finished, control joints and all that for $3k I would not feel too bad about the water management method.   The contractor barely cleared a profit on that thing and otherwise it looks great.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#50]
That's some gld, good looking dirt
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top