Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 5:47:04 AM EDT
I've windowshopped for an FN for over a decade.

Up here in the sticks of Maine there aren't much for storefronts and LGS stores.

Well I'm about to just order a new one and be done with it, but the back and fourth results folks report online is a bit disconcerting for a $1500-$2k rifle.

This model has be had for just under $1500, but regarding barrel specs and details regarding the FN rifle, I'm lost comparatively to other platforms.

Anyone picked one of these up or mind reviewing the specs and give me the "go-no go" regarding using this rifle as a shooter.

Hell might even pick of a few Black Bear with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#1]
A DSA cold warrior will shoot close enough to where you want it to on a man size silhouette, and weigh a bunch in the process.

Sounds like a fine FAL to me lol.

But seriously if you are not interested in the nitpicky of having an authentic parts kit with some history, or having weird variants to fill out a collection, I dont see any problems with the plain jane DSA FAL.

It will get you in the door, resale pretty reliably where you bought it if you decide you dont want it, and importantly let you take a photoshoot with brushstroke short shorts.

The only complaint I would say is you may want to take a look at their bush warrior or jungle warrior line with the 18" and 16" length barrels respectively.

If you want the 21" barrel that's fine, just wanted to make sure you know they offer alternatives for the same price.

The motto for these things should be consistently reliable, but not reliably consistent. That's why you get so many different reports across the internet, throw in the fact so many are kit builds and often not made by proper gunsmiths and most reports need to be taken with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:23:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#2]
I bought the SA58 Tactical carbine a few years ago and love it. The Cold Warrior has quite a long barrel (like the classic military models) and I wanted something a bit handier to hunt with, as well as keep as my only .308 semi auto for all legal purposes. I paid $1500 as that's what they were at the time.

I put Belgian wood furniture on on mine, looks great with the wood.

But if you want the classic "Right Arm of the Free World" look and feel, the Cold Warrior is cool.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
DSA really knows what they're doing on FALs.  I got a 21" traditional fixed stock one and it doesn't have any QC flaws at all.  Just be patient with the break-in period.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
DSA really knows what they're doing on FALs.  I got a 21" traditional fixed stock one and it doesn't have any QC flaws at all.  Just be patient with the break-in period.
View Quote

So it looks like for around $300 more you can get the next model up with chrome lined bore and chamber and adjustable rear sights.

Honestly the rear sight upon research is a deal breaker for me. Totally see why DSA did that but I like using Irons at range.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By campower:

So it looks like for around $300 more you can get the next model up with chrome lined bore and chamber and adjustable rear sights.

Honestly the rear sight upon research is a deal breaker for me. Totally see why DSA did that but I like using Irons at range.
View Quote

Mine has the chrome lined bore, as I am a "Go chrome, or go home" guy.

Zero malfunctions out of 380 rounds so far.

Top Top