Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 12:27:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb]
I wanted some G3 combat pants in Woodland and wasn't about to pay resale prices on eBay or wait around refreshing my email for OP Tactical to get them in for $400.  

I decided to try out some Emerson's to see how they stack up to Cryes for $90.  I ordered the extended length version for the longer inseam.  For reference, I wear 34 Long Cryes (although I may order 34 Extra Longs from here on out).  I ordered 36 waist x 36 inseam Emerson's.  The length is longer than the "long" inseam Cryes I have.  

Right out of the bag I needed to adjust the waist tabs in a little bit but that's to be expected of 36 waist pants when I wear 34's.  I did order 34x34's as well but they were too snug and not quite long enough.  I'm going to send them back. The inseam was more like 32 1/2.  The 36x36 have an inseam around 34 and needed slightly snugged up around the waist after washing.  Based on that example I'd say order up a size in waist.

These will be worn a lot this summer.  I'm going to dunk them in permethrin and wear them around the farm and woods every chance I get.  This is just my initial impression.  

Quality seems good, especially for the money compared to Cryes.  No obviously defective stitching that I've found.  The material is a poly cotton ripstop blend.  I wish it was NYCO but that fabric was not available in M81 Woodland.  Apparently their next "grade" up comes in NYCO with real Multicam fabric if that's the color you're after.  They run around $130.  

The material looks good under nods except for the stretch panels.  They are pretty bright.  Worse than multicam Cryes but no worse than ranger green Cryes.

Issued top vs Emerson pants

Emerson M81, Multicam Cryes, Ranger Green Cryes.

Color looks good in daylight.

I'll keep this thread updated throughout the summer if I can keep it from archiving assuming there is any interest.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that the important bit will be the long-term durability.  But from initial thoughts and wear, what do you think?  I've thought about getting a pair for the lolz.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up on sizing.

No need for them, and have plenty of old BDU, ACU and NWU pants... but still kinda want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you buying from?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
I know that the important bit will be the long-term durability.  But from initial thoughts and wear, what do you think?  I've thought about getting a pair for the lolz.
View Quote

Yeah, we'll see on durability.  I'm happy with them though based on my initial impression.  I didn't open the bag and say "these look like junk" or anything.  They feel good.

They come with knee pads too but I'm just going to use some extra Cryes pads I have.  I have heard the Velcro comes off the Emerson pads pretty easily.  I might just use them until they fail though just for fun though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#5]
Originally Posted By alacop:
Where are you buying from?
View Quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335157493087?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=h63TFh9lS0i&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=KMs_OTgcTW-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They call the longer inseam models "extended version" or "long type" from what I've seen.  Amazon has them too but I couldn't find M81 with the long inseam.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Thanks for the heads up on sizing.

No need for them, and have plenty of old BDU, ACU and NWU pants... but still kinda want.
View Quote

Exactly how I feel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#7]

Exactly how I feel.
View Quote

I know the feeling.  

I'll be honest, the most use my Cryes have gotten has been laying flooring and putting in trim.  Worth it for my knees even at Crye pricing though.

Definitely worth it for $90 assuming they hold up the same as Cryes.

Hell, even if they don't hold up you can buy 3 of them for the price of one pair of Cryes and not feel bad about tearing them up

Another data point...

I had some medium long Platatac Tac Dax that didn't fit me well and I wear medium long in basically all uniform pants.  They were more like normal length and the knee pads were in a weird place for my knees. Anyway, the pads are positioned well with these Emerson's and they take real Crye pads no problem.  I'm happier with them than I was the Platatac pants which were more in line with Crye pricing.

FYI, you can get new surplus tan Crye pads for like $20 shipped on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, ordered a pair.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, ordered a pair.
View Quote

Cool.  Let us know what you think when they show up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#10]

Exactly how I feel.
View Quote

What sucks more is you can find AOR2 patterns,  but I'm sure my command would shit their pants ifnI wore them to our FTX.

"How dare you use more effective gear and pay $80, the approved $40 gear is just fine!  And change your performance t-shirt to 100% cotton"
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCR556] [#11]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:
Definitely worth it for $90 assuming they hold up the same as Cryes.
View Quote

Even if they last just half as long, you are coming out way ahead.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SCR556:

Even if they just half as long, you are coming out way ahead.
View Quote

Yep.  

As far as initial fit and function go, I can't tell the difference between the Emersons and Cryes while wearing them.  

Durability is question mark but I'm not IMT'ing around in them so I'd imagine they'll last a reasonable amount of time.  I think the main body will hold up fine.  I'm guessing the stretch panels are the weakest link so we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#13]
Thanks, ordered a pair.
View Quote

I did too. Amazon link for those interested:

Edit: I think these are the same ones.... OP?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:29:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#14]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

I did too. Amazon link for those interested:

www.amazon.com/dp/B079JLZ9YW

Edit: I think these are the same ones.... OP?
View Quote

I think those are the same line except for they aren't the long inseam version.  

Additionally, you can get Multicam, Multicam Black, Multicam Tropic, and ranger green in an upgraded version that uses NYCO instead of poly cotton.  Supposedly they use real Multicam fabric from the US for those.  

You've really got to pay attention and know what you're looking for. Once you figure out the different lines or "labels" they have and that there are standard length version and extended/long versions you'll be set.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Do they have anything with a 36-38 inseam?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#16]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
Do they have anything with a 36-38 inseam?
View Quote

I think you're SOL

Here's the size chart for the extended/long length models.  

The 36 and 38 waist show a 36 inseam but mine measured more like 34.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dru] [#17]
Ive got a pair of Emerson's in m81... Not the extended length... Had I known they had those i would have gotten those... However the pair I have are not highwaters....

For other knock of brands try Krydex and Idogear....

I've watched and read reviews on all three manufacturers and they all come highly rated!

The Krydex.... I have a pair in tiger stripe!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:

I think you're SOL

Here's the size chart for the extended/long length models.  

https://i.imgur.com/BxYACzX.png

The 36 and 38 waist show a 36 inseam but mine measured more like 34.
View Quote

@sparky-kb damn.  You just cost me $115 to get multicam tropic ones.  I don’t need them but it’s a sexy pattern.  In nyco no less

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@sparky-kb damn.  You just cost me $115 to get multicam tropic ones.  I don’t need them but it’s a sexy pattern.  In nyco no less

View Quote

I've been thinking about getting those too lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't they have different types?  I want to say it was a label color or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:14:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#21]
Originally Posted By JTX23:
Don't they have different types?  I want to say it was a label color or something like that.
View Quote

Yeah, that's where it gets kinda confusing.  Especially when you add trying to find the long inseam version.  

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the "blue label" is the higher end version.  From what I've seen your blue label options are limited in pattern to MC, MC Tropic, MC Black, and Ranger Green.  What the blue label gets you other than NYCO and supposedly real Multicam material I'm not sure.

Hopefully my shirts will be here today or tomorrow so I can add them to the thread and discuss how they fit.  I heard they kinda suck though because the torso is all cotton.  But they were $40 not $200 and I wanted a set so whatever

I ordered 34x34 and 36x36 pants along with large and medium combat shirts with the plan of keeping only one of each.  I'm hoping returns aren't too big of a pain in the ass or a set may end up on the EE.  Although, I'm not sure if that would be appropriate since it is for the sale of "milspec clothing and gear" not airsoft stuff...
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Heads up if anyone is interested.  I've got a M81 set for sale on the EE.  Medium top and 34x32 pants.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#23]
The problem I've run into with the Asian knockoff pants is that they are always realy tight in the quads.  I'm not some roided out bodybuilder, but I do lift and it's hard for me to find a pair that fit right in the waist with the proper length and still aren't tight as Hell in the upper leg area.   Tried a South Korean brand called "Semapogear" and man, their shirts were tight in the shoulders and arms and tight in the legs, I felt like the Incredible Hulk about to rip through them, which again is hilarious because I'd say I'm pretty average build wise.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
The problem I've run into with the Asian knockoff pants is that they are always realy tight in the quads.  I'm not some roided out bodybuilder, but I do lift and it's hard for me to find a pair that fit right in the waist with the proper length and still aren't tight as Hell in the upper leg area.   Tried a South Korean brand called "Semapogear" and man, their shirts were tight in the shoulders and arms and tight in the legs, I felt like the Incredible Hulk about to rip through them, which again is hilarious because I'd say I'm pretty average build wise.  

View Quote

Well that sucks.  These may not be an option for me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

My man @bdover ! I had a MC Tropic in my wishlist, but not the nyco...care to send a link? If I find it first I'll edit and link it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#26]
Originally Posted By CJ47:

My man @bdover ! I had a MC Tropic in my wishlist, but not the nyco...care to send a link? If I find it first I'll edit and link it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Long or regular inseam?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#27]

Well that sucks.  These may not be an option for me.
View Quote

Yeah, just my experience is that if you're a thin long distance runner type than no problem, but if you lift even a bit they get tight in a lot of areas like the upper legs and with the shirts in the arms and shoulders.

Definitely prepare to go up a few sizes to offset the width difference. With some of them you have to go up multiple sizes too, so it's a crap shoot on sizing.  For me personally, I hate having to return stuff.  For any of the shirts it's almost a no win, because of the way they're just cut so that no matter what they're going to end up tight in the shoulders.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

@CJ47 I got you fam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334559192944?itmmeta=01HY43BWM8PYVAAH1DEZ07GWQ0&hash=item4de5482770:g:P2wAAOSw-f5jHwkY

To find all the nyco gear go to the sellers homepage then search nyco within the store.  It’s how I stumbled upon these.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#29]
I'm 6'4", 205, athletic build.  Not a body builder, more tall and lean (but not quite as lean as I once was ).

Plenty of leg room for me in the 36 longs.  The large shirt fits well.  I wouldn't call these Asian fit.  Don't mind the blue shoes and sweet tactical belt .

The shirt is 50/50 Poly Cotton like the pants for the camo portion.  Surprisingly the main body or yoke as they call it is 35/65 Poly Cotton instead of 100% cotton as I was expecting.  Not bad for $40.  I already like it better than the Tru Specs I have.  The fit is pretty similar to the FROG combat shirts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#30]
Mine showed up. True to size. They feel ok.

Attachment Attached File

I’ll be able to give a better review after I roll around in them for awhile.
I should have got the MC Arid as it’s only green here a few months a year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#31]
So what is the consensus on sizing?  True to size or a size small?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#32]
So what is the consensus on sizing?  True to size or a size small?
View Quote

Of my two examples I'd say they oversell the inseam by a couple of inches.  Waists are close to what they should be.  If you're on the bubble, size up.

I usually wear 34 waist in everything and went with the 36 long.  I have to snug up the waist tabs a bit but had to size up for the inseam length. I probably could have made the 34 waist work but they were too short
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#33]
Emerson makes 50/50 NyCo sets. They are their "Blue Label" line - but they also rolled the material changes into their Yellow Label stuff. It will usually be listed as something like "2019 Mens Suit Shirt Pant Upgrade" The Jersey material of the Combat Shirt was also changed from 100% Cotton, to a 52% Poly, 43% Modal, 5% Spandex. You don't want the 2017 versions.

What Is Modal Fabric?

Modal fabric is a semi-synthetic fabric made from beech tree pulp that is used primarily for clothing, such as underwear and pajamas, and household items, like bed sheets and towels. Modal is a form of rayon, another plant-based textile, though it is slightly more durable and flexible than the standard version. Modal is often blended with other fibers like cotton and spandex for added strength. Modal is considered a luxurious textile thanks to both its soft feel and high cost, as it is more expensive than either cotton or viscose.
View Quote

Here are the two stores I've used on Ali:

Emerson 1

Emerson 2

Their XXL size chart was true to measurements for me, stitches per inch is good, found no workmanship flaws on my MC Arid set.

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 3:14:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Not to hijack the thread, but I can offer a quick 2.5 year experience of these pants from Emerson:

I needed flexible cargo type pants for a labor intensive job (about 50 to 80 hours a week, constantly moving, outdoors). I loved my Crye G3's, but I wasn't about to buy five pairs... I rolled the dice and bought five pairs of black Emerson G3's. I lived in these pants, 7 days a week for over two years.

Sizing: Can confirm, if you CCW and thus wear a 34x32, then order a 34x34, or 36x34. They run short for sure, and may run slim on the waist. I always air dried mine to play it safe on shrinkage.

Fit: They're baggy, but pretty close to Crye G3. You'll have a saggy ass because the flex material thins over time. (It still works, but thins out and doesn't hold original dimension/shape). Overall, they're fine.

Stitching: Of the five pairs, all of them held their stitching where it counted, but that was with me being mindful that it was inherently "not milspec." Some of the stitching on the knees started to thin, but it was where the pant material thinned as well due to abrasion, so not really the stitching's fault. One or two of the pants experiences small tearing of the stitching in the crotch where the stretch material met the main pant material.
I used the front pockets everyday for electronics, notepads, etc., and almost all of them failed at the one year mark due to snagging and ripping--if you snagged it on a sharp door corner, it would rip cleanly off. So cleanly, in fact, you could probably re-sew. Also, the knee pads are useless because they don't cut a pocket for them to insert like Crye's. So... basically throw them away, or use them as shitkicker pads for your actual Crye's. I still have 10 of them brand new if anyone wants them, IM me :)

Velcro: It ain't Velcro brand, but none of it failed. Towards the end, I wouldn't really trust the main waist velcro. Definitely wear a belt.

Fabric: Honestly, not bad. It held up better than I thought it would. After countless washes, the dye held color. Fabric surpasses the stitching if I had to rate one over the other.

Towards the end, I cut some of them for long shorts and the fabric didn't really fray worse than regular BDU's would have. They were still serviceable for yard work duty after I left that gig, though they ultimately found a home in the trash can. I still have a pair of the Woodland ones that I wear around the house like fancy pajamas.

Overall: If you find a size that fits, and you want a good enough clone of G3's, I say go for it--they're decent pants for the range, or dirtbiking. If I was living in them in the woods--I'd get the actual Crye's, or at the very least USGI Surplus. I do not think they are worth $90, though, not at all. The stitching and the decline of the stretch material do not warrant a $90 price tag, no matter how cool they look. Lastly, immediately cut the shock cord that "rises" the knees and pull the cord. It's useless, and annoying.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ankratz:
Not to hijack the thread, but I can offer a quick 2.5 year experience of these pants from Emerson:

I needed flexible cargo type pants for a labor intensive job (about 50 to 80 hours a week, constantly moving, outdoors). I loved my Crye G3's, but I wasn't about to buy five pairs... I rolled the dice and bought five pairs of black Emerson G3's. I lived in these pants, 7 days a week for over two years.

Sizing: Can confirm, if you CCW and thus wear a 34x32, then order a 34x34, or 36x34. They run short for sure, and may run slim on the waist. I always air dried mine to play it safe on shrinkage.

Fit: They're baggy, but pretty close to Crye G3. You'll have a saggy ass because the flex material thins over time. (It still works, but thins out and doesn't hold original dimension/shape). Overall, they're fine.

Stitching: Of the five pairs, all of them held their stitching where it counted, but that was with me being mindful that it was inherently "not milspec." Some of the stitching on the knees started to thin, but it was where the pant material thinned as well due to abrasion, so not really the stitching's fault. One or two of the pants experiences small tearing of the stitching in the crotch where the stretch material met the main pant material.
I used the front pockets everyday for electronics, notepads, etc., and almost all of them failed at the one year mark due to snagging and ripping--if you snagged it on a sharp door corner, it would rip cleanly off. So cleanly, in fact, you could probably re-sew. Also, the knee pads are useless because they don't cut a pocket for them to insert like Crye's. So... basically throw them away, or use them as shitkicker pads for your actual Crye's. I still have 10 of them brand new if anyone wants them, IM me :)

Velcro: It ain't Velcro brand, but none of it failed. Towards the end, I wouldn't really trust the main waist velcro. Definitely wear a belt.

Fabric: Honestly, not bad. It held up better than I thought it would. After countless washes, the dye held color. Fabric surpasses the stitching if I had to rate one over the other.

Towards the end, I cut some of them for long shorts and the fabric didn't really fray worse than regular BDU's would have. They were still serviceable for yard work duty after I left that gig, though they ultimately found a home in the trash can. I still have a pair of the Woodland ones that I wear around the house like fancy pajamas.

Overall: If you find a size that fits, and you want a good enough clone of G3's, I say go for it--they're decent pants for the range, or dirtbiking. If I was living in them in the woods--I'd get the actual Crye's, or at the very least USGI Surplus. I do not think they are worth $90, though, not at all. The stitching and the decline of the stretch material do not warrant a $90 price tag, no matter how cool they look. Lastly, immediately cut the shock cord that "rises" the knees and pull the cord. It's useless, and annoying.
View Quote

Appreciate the review. Is there a decent sub-100 combat style pant that’s worth it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -MainDisconnect-] [#36]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

Appreciate the review. Is there a decent sub-100 combat style pant that’s worth it?
View Quote

I have a couple pairs of the G3 Amazon clone pants. I have been very happy with the quality. I believe mine were $75, one in Multicam Tropic and one in Tiger Stripe.

Stitching has help up really good. They do run a bit small in the waist. My TS are starting to fade but the fabric is holy strong. Neither pair has real “branded” camo material but are very close matches.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Amazon Product
  • \u25b6FEATURES: The Gen3 Combat uniform is make by high quality material,Fitness,moisture perspiration, breathable, extremely durable and quick-drying,keeps you dry and comfortable when army training.

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Would like to try a pair, but I am 34x32(or30 if long). I have short legs, built like Barney Rubble. Thinking I might have sizing issues. Anyone with short legs and 34 waist or 36 if they are tight?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#38]
In the above pictures I am a 34X32 about 5’11”. My TS pants are medium and I will get a large next time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ankratz:

View Quote

Nice write up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered a pair of MC Arid and they sent MARPAT desert. If I wear them will I start craving crayons?

@03RN

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't know. Might be the first step.

I'll be honest, I got out before the crayon thing became a thing. I'm not even sure why it started.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top