Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 6:14:57 PM EDT
For when at the range, taking a class, or whatever (SHTF, Unrest, etc), when setting up your battle belt. Assuming you have a PC with mag pouches, how many AR pouches do you put on your belt…one or two?  How many pistol pouches?  2 or 3?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Medicin3Man:
For when at the range, taking a class, or whatever (SHTF, Unrest, etc), when setting up your battle belt. Assuming you have a PC with mag pouches, how many AR pouches do you put on your belt…one or two?  How many pistol pouches?  2 or 3?
View Quote

For a 'war belt'  -  the little narrow-ish, 1.5" to 2" wide belts, you really don't want a ton of stuff on it.  The bigger, over-sleeve style padded 'war belts', like the ATS one, you can probably do a little more.  

For the narrower belt, I run a Safariland holster on the strong side, knife behind it, and a flashlight pouch in front of it, Tourniquet in front of that.

Mini Ifak center rear.

Weak side, 2 x pistol mag pouches (Double Kwyi), 1 x AR mag in pouch, (Single Kwyi), though on one of my belts, I have a double Kwyi, but only run 1 mag.  This is what I usually run around the property with.  I can always add another, but it gives me a rifle reload should I need it.

If you are needing more than 3 total pistol mags after your rifle runs dry, you are doing it wrong.  Better to take another rifle magazine than more pistol magazines.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I go with less is more with a bias (as posted above) toward rifle mags.

Early on in the GWOT some of us were trying to pack a lot of pistol mags; I realized that two pistol mags (unless you get the pouches which hold the mags perpendicular to your body) take up the same amount of space as a rifle mag…which is more useful, 30 pistol rounds or 30 rifle rounds?
View Quote

Two loaded pistol mags also weight about the same as a loaded AR mag too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#4]
On my current belt set up, I run 2 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags.  (four rifle mags on PC)

On my older set up, I used double deckers TACOs, and ran an additional rifle mag on the belt.  

Depends on how much space you have, and how chonky you want your  belt set up to be.  I treat my belt as my first line, so I wanted the basics on it.  There is a likely hood I'll be wearing the belt with pistol, but not have my rifle.  Makes sense to put the entirety of my pistol mags on my belt in that case.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 on my war belt. I'm building another belt for my Sig, and I'll probably put 2 on that one, as well. My thinking is 2 (on belt) + 1 (in rifle) means I get 90 rounds to get it done. If I can't get it done with that many rounds, something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong. Well, something has gone wrong if I'm wearing the belt for anything other than training, but you get what I'm saying. And hopefully I never have to dip into the pistol mags.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Two pistol one rifle.

But I keep an open double rifle at 4:00 to run more rifle mags or more water or more whatever. Can also flex the 8:00 dump pouch for temporary storage of things.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:32:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#8]
For training a good dump pouch that will hold a water bottle and a couple extra mags.

And I like the kangaroo style pouches that hold a pistol mag/tq/flashlight/multitool/whatever in front of the rifle mag just to save some room on the belt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends, I guess. Are you using only the belt, or combined with a PC or chest rig? You using a basic 1-3/4” inner/outer setup, or something more substantial?

I usually have a flapped double rifle mag pouch on my belt since they ride lower, more comfortable than the passive retention ones like kywis that sit higher. It’s no more bulky than a holster, so it’s not too hateful to wear. Double pistol kywi behind an esstac flapped double rifle, TQ in front of the holster on my other side, med mag in a horizontal pouch on the rear. This is on a Trex speed belt.

Not much reason to carry more than one or two sidearm mags, unless your pistol is your primary weapon for some reason.

Thinking about ordering a JSTA pouch and lunar concepts rifle/pistol insert and replacing the double pistol kywi with that, since that bit of extra storage would line up nicely with the width of the double rifle pouch, makes for a decent loadout of 3 rifle/1pistol without getting too crazy.

Depending on what you’re carrying, it might be worth looking into suspenders of some sort. I can get by without, but they definitely keep everything much more stable when doing dumb shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top