Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2024 9:34:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Retired Motor Sergeant here. Rode the RoadKing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Rode motors for six years, 10 hours a day, four days a week, from 100 plus degrees down to single digits.  Road Kings, big heavy bike, great for police work!  It was the highlight of my career so far, but I don’t miss the heat/cold these days.
I agree 100% Sully, I thought I knew how to ride until I went to motor school.  The attrition rate was about 30% in those days., far from a “gimmie” course for sure!
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]

I have a t-shirt from a school I graduated that says 'real bike officers don't need motors'
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I was a motorman and motors Sergeant.  Hard work, but enjoyed most every minute of it.  We rode, regardless of weather.  You didn’t get a car because it was cold, raining, or both.  We were based out of the Special Operations Section.  When I first went over, we probably had 45 motormen on 2 watches, 5 or 6 Sergeants, and 2 Lieutenants.  Day watch officers worked 7am-3pm and had weekends off.  Evening watch was 330pm to 1130 pm, with everyone having staggered days off.  All under  the traffic Captain.  First started on Kawasaki K-Z 1000, then transitioned to the piece of shit HD.  We handled all parades, Braves baseball (before they went to Cobb co), Falcons, some Ga Tech football, riots, demonstrations, protests, etc.  We had 4 radar cars and 2 pickup trucks that worked accidents on the connector during rush hour.  I was a motorman for 6 years and a Sergeant for 2 and half, then got transferred to another unit in Special Operations.  I spent about half my career in Special Operations (15 years).  10 steps above humping 9-1-1 calls any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top