Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 4/17/2024 2:21:18 PM EDT
I’m not talking about the 100% rated ones, be it legit or sketchy.
I mean in general.

When I was a little kid in the 70s there were a ton of veterans.
Guys in their 50s that had been in WWII.  Korean War vets.  Dudes in their 20s that had been in VN.  And a shit load of draftee and volunteer peacetime types.  Even one or two old timers with pre WWII service.

They would go a couple of hours away for VA care once in a while for stuff from their service time bugging them, like the hip with shrapnel in it, gut problems from when they were shot, getting some new hearing aids, etc.  And on occasion some old guy with no family going off to one of their rest homes.

Now, a benefit of retiring from military service is tricare medical coverage.  And it has copays, caps, etc.
Even then dental and eye are kind of weak.
I’m not talking about retirees.

I mean people that did like 3 years in Germany in the late 70s, or were in for 9 months in 1982 before a general discharge, etc. that weight 300 pounds and have heart failure, diabetes, and dialysis,
Or have severe COPD or lung cancer, or whatever having an expectation of all medical care for life from the VA.
That say stuff like “my only insurance is the VA”, or “I get all my care from the VA”.

Is it urban vs rural, black vs white, north vs south, crushing life vs suck at life, male vs female, …?
A lot of these people are old so it doesn’t just seem young vs old.
Although young seem more prone for working the 100% lottery than old.

I’m not looking for argument or debate.

Just what you have seen or think.

It was very clear when I enlisted in the 80s that lifelong medical care for everything and anything for life was not part of the deal, but others assume it is.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea bit I'm running across it too.  I doubt it's Tricare, though, as VA is a different branch from the DOD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
When the military started accepting millennials
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
No idea bit I'm running across it too.  I doubt it's Tricare, though, as VA is a different branch from the DOD.
View Quote

That’s one of the points I was making-
Lifelong care was a reward of a full retirement separate from VA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scratch45] [#4]
The VA should not exist.
They should get a discount, or voucher, or have fees waived (in some cases) through the traditional medical practice.

Change my mind
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
More Veteran hate from the Right...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBeaverRetriever] [#6]
Perhaps try educating yourselves?

You're fucking welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my employees who did a few tours in Iraq does not participate in our healthplan because he has Tricare or whatever it is called. His choice, he saves about 200 a month.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny how a bunch of them will shit on "the poors" for being on welfare, but scream that they are owed life long healthcare from the government because they spent 4 years state side and never saw combat.
If you get injured on the job, your injury should be taken care of.  Got the betus because you are a fat lazy slob, you should pay your own way then.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a pretty simple contract with Uncle Sugar:

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bro:
View Quote

The right tends to dislike government programs that cost billions with no clear benefit to taxpayers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote

Millennials? As in the the generation of guys that took Fallujah?

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Seems like a legitimate question to spark conversation.

At what point should the taxpayers shoulder lifetime care for someone that served, and how did it get to the way it is now?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You are living in the peak aftermath of Vietnam vets as the main constituency.  Soon it will be DS  ..

i would say the mental health issue has pre-dominated due to the public not supporting Vietnam vets as in WW2.  Pretty good trick getting folks to hate soldiers over their political masters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#14]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

At what point should the taxpayers shoulder lifetime care for someone that served, and how did it get to the way it is now?
View Quote

Or even if we are is the VA the best or most efficient way to go about it. I don't think anyone I know from providers to vets has ever accused the VA of being the best way to provide healthcare to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
I'm not talking about the 100% rated ones, be it legit or sketchy.
I mean in general.

Guys in their 50s that had been in WWII.  Korean War vets.  Dudes in their 20s that had been in VN.  And a shit load of draftee and volunteer peacetime types.  Even one or two old timers with pre WWII service.

They would go a couple of hours away for VA care once in a while for stuff from their service time bugging them, like the hip with shrapnel in it, gut problems from when they were shot, getting some new hearing aids, etc.  And on occasion some old guy with no family going off to one of their rest homes.

Now, a benefit of retiring from military service is tricare medical coverage.  And it has copays, caps, etc.
I'm not talking about retirees.

I mean people that did like 3 years in Germany in the late 70s, or were in for 9 months in 1982 before a general discharge, etc. that weight 300 pounds and have heart failure, diabetes, and dialysis,
Or have severe COPD or lung cancer, or whatever having an expectation of all medical care for life from the VA.
That say stuff like "my only insurance is the VA", or "I get all my care from the VA".

Is it urban vs rural, black vs white, north vs south, crushing life vs suck at life, male vs female,  ?
A lot of these people are old so it doesn't just seem young vs old.

I'm not looking for argument or debate.

It was very clear when I enlisted in the 80s that lifelong medical care for everything and anything for life was not part of the deal, but others assume it is.

View Quote
When they stop giving lazy ass fuckers medicade and welfare then we can talk about what kind care and money our veterans deserve.

What you are seeing is a reduced veteran population with the same number of VA clinics open.

On top of caring for veterans they need people using these clinics to keep them open.

To do this veterans get increased care and benefits.

No veterans being treated, no clinics and VA employees losing their job.

If a clinic goes away it may not come back, next war might have tremendous casualties.

We need VA clinics to be in operation just in case.

People that don't like it, the military has jobs available. If the VA has issues we can always end welfare to keep them going.

Veterans earned their benefit's unlike immigrants and most welfare recipients.

If I had my way disabled combat vets wouldn't pay taxes or property tax.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
The VA should not exist.
They should get a discount, or voucher, or have fees waived (in some cases) through the traditional medical practice.

Change my mind
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#17]
The VA should not exist.

Change my mind
View Quote

Your local Urgent Care or Dr. probably has zero experience with the after effects of traumatic amputation, PTSD, TBI, paratroopers knees, Govt issued eeeeeeeee, or other injuries that are not commonly seen in the general (slacker/civilian) population.

The VA  doctors deal with it everyday.  I have zero complaints about what the VA does.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
You should ask the poster here that thinks the VA should cover his potential cancer treatment from smoking while in the service, that he picked up while in the service.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 03Vet:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

A majority of the claims and appeals I helped process while working at the VBA (about 10 years ago) were Cold War era peace time veterans.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The V.A. Population is small and getting smaller with peacetime Cold War era vets now outnumbering WW2 Korea and Vietnam vets. Millennials are about 4% of the vet population and fewer and fewer people have served or are serving.

With that in mind, I’ve seen some odd stuff over the years but wasn’t aware of what you described being large scale. But then im also not that description and I try as much as I can to get in and get out for my appointments mainly to avoid traffic when I go so it sounds like I’ve missed interacting with these vets.

Example, access to military bases as far as I know is limited to retirees, former POW, MOH recipients, Purple Heart recipients so i don’t encounter the vets described when I go on post.

Long winded post baby me to say I don’t know.

Is there a time frame this became noticeable?

I was under the impression only service connected vers with a rating had access to VA care after a year from discharge?

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Bitching about SS must be slow today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Your local Urgent Care or Dr. probably has zero experience with the after effects of traumatic amputation, PTSD, TBI, paratroopers knees, Govt issued eeeeeeeee, or other injuries that are not commonly seen in the general (slacker/civilian) population.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
The VA should not exist.

Change my mind

Most of those injuries are common in car wrecks and trade work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I dont believe that’s the OP’s intention. OP has a long and distinguished military career.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
The VA should not exist.

Change my mind
View Quote
I agree with the VA going away and vouchers.  The gov should only sign a check for market rate care for those that have served.  DOUBLY so for those wounded or otherwise injured while serving.  Hell, also make it so that voucher can pay for health insurance of the service member.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#25]
I believe it's income dependent based on Zip code. e.g. around $16k yearly it's almost all free if you're a vet.   As your income gets higher there are copays on both care and meds. In this case, where I used 10977 as the zip, above $87K yearly pretty much negates any VA health care though it did say there may be other benefits available.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
You mean the generation that fought almost the entire war on terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

This is a legitimate question, not hate.

Let’s say you spent four years on active duty.

Zero injuries, issues, etc.

The VA was never intended to provide you with a free primary care provider, medicines, etc. For the rest of your life,
And cover regular life stuff like getting appendicitis, breaking your leg on your ATV years later, getting HIV in prison, getting pregnant and having baby’s, etc.

Now, there is inclusive medical coverage while on active duty, some fairly inclusive coverage for retiring from military service, a defined everything covered for hitting 100% (as sketchy as that has become for many), -
But there was never a promise of full life free free primary, specialty, emergency, etc. care for life for everything -

The question is when did that become a concept?
I knew a ton of veterans as a kid, was active duty in the 80s, reserves in the early 90s, more active duty, retired for over a decade, and the concept was never something expected or considered for all those decades-

Yet I have found there is at least a subset or culture of Veterans and Americans that think this is so.  Vehemently.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I just had some parts replaced in my ankle last month at the V.A hospital. Was injured in service. Also in the past had some shoulder, neck and hand surgeries all at the V.A and all due to injuries I received in the military. Physical therapy too. Guess I should have just not went in and drank water and drove on huh? Just fuck me for getting injured and needing after care I guess.

Maybe i'm just to woke lol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
Funny how a bunch of them will shit on "the poors" for being on welfare, but scream that they are owed life long healthcare from the government because they spent 4 years state side and never saw combat.
If you get injured on the job, your injury should be taken care of.  Got the betus because you are a fat lazy slob, you should pay your own way then.
View Quote

I believe there’s criteria for access but I’m no subject matter expert https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Moyockgunner] [#30]
Broken L4-L5, S2-S3,  broken clavicle, broken right and left wrists, broken right and left ankles, shattered left knee cap from a bad auto rotation in a CH53. PTSD from watching 15 Marines die a horrible death,  CAD with 3 heart attacks, first one at 35, 2 stents Hypothyroidism and 2 different cancers from Agent Orange exposure. Chronic pain. Limited ROM in every appendage except my crank. I earned every dime of my VA benefits and every bit of medical bills being paid.

Funny, that recruiting office was open for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

The right tends to dislike government programs that cost billions with no clear benefit to taxpayers.
View Quote
Having the best military is pretty beneficial to taxpayers, far more than welfare recipients.

Dont like it lower benefits and start a nationwide conscription.

I bet taxpayers will be thrilled when their kids are pulled out of college to serve a 24-36 month term.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
We were at war for 20 years. I did 3 combat tours and got out after I missed the birth of my first child because I was in Iraq. I know reservists with 4+ combat tours. Do you think that’s easy on mind, body, careers and families? Heck, you come home and don’t even know the songs on the radio much less anything else. I’d rather pay our veterans than illegals and ghetto thugs that raise 15 kids to sign up for a gov check.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I have been trying for 14 months to get an initial VA appointment and the VA has stalled at every turn. I think the VA is busy with illegals.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#34]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
You mean the generation that fought almost the entire war on terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.
View Quote

True but only 4% of vets are millennials 8% of Gen X and 16% of Vietnam vets.

The reality is most people have never served and more so as time goes on
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparky] [#35]
I never used the VA until Obamacare jacked up my health insurance. I used to have employer provided healthcare but that got so expensive I finally signed up for VA. At my income I still pay pretty good copays but I don't have a montly premium. Insurance for my son through the marketplace.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By pdm:
I believe it's income dependent based on Zip code. e.g. around $16k yearly it's almost all free if you're a vet.   As your income gets higher there are copays on both care and meds. In this case, where I used 10977 as the zip, above $87K yearly pretty much negates any VA health care though it did say there may be other benefits available.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/696/VA_income2_jpg-3190468.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/696/VA_income_jpg-3190469.JPG
View Quote

I wonder when this started? If it’s been around before recently I somehow wasn’t aware
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
One of my employees who did a few tours in Iraq does not participate in our healthplan because he has Tricare or whatever it is called. His choice, he saves about 200 a month.
View Quote

What's the company save?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
I’m not talking about the 100% rated ones, be it legit or sketchy.
I mean in general.

I’m not talking about retirees.

That say stuff like “my only insurance is the VA”, or “I get all my care from the VA”.

Is it urban vs rural, black vs white, north vs south, crushing life vs suck at life, male vs female, …?
A lot of these people are old so it doesn’t just seem young vs old.

I’m not looking for argument or debate.

View Quote

I volunteered during a time of war, Vietnam, so maybe
that has something to do with it.  
I don't know why they do but I'm glad as hell they do
otherwise I'd be destitute for paying for medical care.

I got a lot more from being in the military then they got
from me and I was a good soldier.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
When lifetime benefits end for Congress and the President, then they can end for veterans.

Veterans are a pretty small percentage of the US population.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:54:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#40]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Having the best military is pretty beneficial to taxpayers, far more than welfare recipients.

I bet taxpayers will be thrilled when their kids are pulled out of college to serve a 24-36 month term.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

I'm not sure the current VA system is the best way to do that. In many areas it's basically a duplicate system that doesn't really provide a better level of care than the existing health infrastructures.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Moyockgunner:
Broken L4-L5, S2-S3,  broken clavicle, broken right and left wrists, broken right and left ankles, shattered left knee cap from a bad auto rotation in a CH53. PTSD from watching 15 Marines die a horrible death,  CAD with 3 heart attacks, first one at 35, 2 stents Hypothyroidism and 2 different cancers from Agent Orange exposure. Chronic pain. Limited ROM in every appendage except my crank. I earned every dime of my VA benefits and every bit of medical bills being paid.

Funny, that recruiting office was open for everyone.
View Quote

Respect, you have mine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#42]
When lifetime benefits end for Congress and the President, then they can end for veterans.

View All Quotes

Well said
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know, but the costs are completely out of control.

Next years VA budget will be 400 billion, or roughly half the cost of the entire military. To put it in perspective Medicaid is 800bn and takes care of 30x as many people.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

If I were placed in charge of a draft I’d be damn effective at it. The overweight drug addled criminals would be safe. College athletes would receive the induction letters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MilitaryJoe:
I just had some parts replaced in my ankle last month at the V.A hospital. Was injured in service. Also in the past had some shoulder, neck and hand surgeries all at the V.A and all due to injuries I received in the military. Physical therapy too. Guess I should have just not went in and drank water and drove on huh? Just fuck me for getting injured and needing after care I guess.

Maybe i'm just to woke lol.
View Quote

At no point did the OP say service connected injuries were what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#46]
A non retiree USN vet friend of mine got into the system by being on a ship that provided support of Op Eagle Claw so there is possibly another nexus and likely more.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: frankie2times] [#47]

View All Quotes

More access to information may explain the increase in VA claims.

I will also add that as a veteran, it is potentially angering to perceive that I’ve done more than others yet receive less. I don’t know what they did for sure and never will. I just worry about me. Better that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I work with a dude who did 4yrs in the Navy and he uses the VA in DC as his only health coverage. He waived really good coverage from his employer, which would have cost him nothing out of pocket for monthly payments, for an extra 40hrs of PTO every year

Talks about rando vets coming with all theit shit in shopping bags that have roaches and mice crawling out of them in the waiting room.

Yeah, that seems like a good thing to deal with for an extra 5 days of vacation time every calendar year....
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#49]
When they stop giving lazy ass fuckers medicade and welfare then we can talk about what kind care and money our veterans deserve.

What you are seeing is a reduced veteran population with the same number of VA clinics open.

On top of caring for veterans they need people using these clinics to keep them open.

To do this veterans get increased care and benefits.

No veterans being treated, no clinics and VA employees losing their job.

If a clinic goes away it may not come back, next war might have tremendous casualties.

We need VA clinics to be in operation just in case.

People that don't like it, the military has jobs available. If the VA has issues we can always end welfare to keep them going.

Veterans earned their benefit's unlike immigrants and most welfare recipients.

If I had my way disabled combat vets wouldn't pay taxes or property tax.
View Quote

I just filed my extension Not pay taxes?  Count me in!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Example, access to military bases as far as I know is limited to retirees, former POW, MOH recipients, Purple Heart recipients so i don’t encounter the vets described when I go on post.

Long winded post baby me to say I don’t know.

Is there a time frame this became noticeable?

I was under the impression only service connected vers with a rating had access to VA care after a year from discharge?

View Quote

VA benefits vary, to start with if a veteran goes to the VA for care, they get a Primary care Dr.and
when you choose the "health care" it is 3 or 4 different levels, you have co-pays etc. very similar to Obunghole insurance, nothing is free, you pay for xrays etc.

You will get a VA card that basically says you chose this health care, that picture ID will not get you on base and if your on base with a "sponsor" and go to the PX your VA health card doesn't mean shit...no service...good buy

Now, if you are service connected then your benefits change to a degree, your picture ID will have "service connected" under your picture, or POW, MOH etc. that allows you to get on bases and shop etc.

Now the "service connected" services you get will be free, like hearing aids, you won't get monetary compensation for hearing loss 99% of the time. But ear exams, tinnitus checks hearing aids etc. are covered.

The compensation you receive is tax free ,you can do 6 claims you can "prove" and you may only be 20% when the math is done.

It is Tier system

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top