Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I'll have to drag the wife up there to check it out. She asked me recently where I wanted to end up. I said wherever we can find a house and I can find work.
View Quote

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/703-4th-Ave-Edgemont-SD-57735/242584229_zpid/  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wareagle30:

It’s already ruined.

I’m looking at leaving for Wyoming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wareagle30:
Originally Posted By GomerPyle:
If they ruin Montana, that will be quite an accomplishment.

It’s already ruined.

I’m looking at leaving for Wyoming.

Its getting pretty damn bad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#3]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

I live half an hour from Cody.  There's plenty of places available out here, though they are going to run you $500-700K if you want a nice house with some acreage around it.  You can get land a lot cheaper than that, of course, and build your own.
View Quote

I’ll have to keep that in mind. If I can find work out there once I graduate, that would be a win in my book. Always liked Cody and the surrounding towns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Tourists are responsible for the problem?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 49north:
It can't start snowing soon enough to hide the stench.  Maybe city officials could tax the tourists more to pay for this mess since it's them and the newcomers responsible for this problem.

Californians selling their 3/2 ranch for $2,000,000 and moving to Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee or any other red or formally red state and pricing locals out of the market either via sale prices or raising tax values.

Locusts who should be made to stay in the rotten bed they shit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]

I’ll have to keep that in mind. If I can find work out there once I graduate, that would be a win in my book. Shay’s liked Cody and the surrounding towns.
View All Quotes

I live half an hour from Cody.  There's plenty of places available out here, though they are going to run you $500-700K if you want a nice house with some acreage around it.  You can get land a lot cheaper than that, of course, and build your own.

I’ll have to keep that in mind. If I can find work out there once I graduate, that would be a win in my book. Shay’s liked Cody and the surrounding towns.

Ooh, finding work is the hard part.  That's why a lot of the residents in Bozeman are priced out--the only jobs available are tourism and service.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
big money moving in buy it cheap then a few years later wonder why the town has no employees or bus open anymore.Seen it in other towns where money comes in buys or starts a business charges the prices they did in CA but pay the local wages then again wonder why employees are gone
View Quote

It’s happening everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
This house was just listed for $810k.

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/2a229fadb01aaad3df55df3b825f4937-cc_ft_768.webp
View Quote

LOL!

The coming crash is going to be biblical.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Californians selling their 3/2 ranch for $2,000,000 and moving to Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee or any other red or formally red state and pricing locals out of the market either via sale prices or raising tax values.

View All Quotes
It can't start snowing soon enough to hide the stench.  Maybe city officials could tax the tourists more to pay for this mess since it's them and the newcomers responsible for this problem.

You DO know that a lot of Californians are very conservative and hate what's happened to their state, right?  Do you want to punish them because they got outvoted?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

That's a nice looking $100k home
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Originally Posted By Liberty_Tree:

Interested. What's the address?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/617-N-Willson-Ave-Bozeman-MT-59715/74929238_zpid/

That's a nice looking $100k home

Somewhere in its price history it will say $12,000.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Ooh, finding work is the hard part.  That's why a lot of the residents in Bozeman are priced out--the only jobs available are tourism and service.
View Quote

Well I could always attempt to find remote too. Mechanical engineering is always gonna be marketable. And if that don’t work I’ll learn a trade or something.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]

$873/sqft

What type of retard pays that much for a cracker box built in the 30’s?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Well I could always attempt to find remote too. Mechanical engineering is always gonna be marketable. And if that don't work I'll learn a trade or something.
View Quote

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dept-of-energy/the-great-electrician-shortage
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

$873/sqft

What type of retard pays that much for a cracker box built in the 30's?
View Quote
californians and/or texans if BZN is any indicator.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
I'm confused.  

Are these people that DID have homes in Bozeman, but then rent went up and they couldn't afford them?   Or are these homeless people that were going to be homeless anywhere, but Bozeman is a nice place for your cousin with the truck to drop your shitbox trailer off at?  

Also, why is it ALWAYS a Nissan Versa?
View Quote

Californian buys the house Nextdoor for four times what it sold for ten years ago. Repeat the process five or six times on your street and now what was $100k house is a $400k dollar house. Somebody born and raised in that community making a salary appropriate to area now cannot afford to purchase or rent a home there. Somebody who already owned a home there can’t keep up with rising property tax values and is forced to sell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Have you seen Missoula?
View Quote
Bozeman is far worse than Missoula now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By stickfigure:
Most of Montana just doesn't have the infrastructure for this many people, most of the big towns don't have by-passes to move traffic around them.

Secondly everyone who thinks they are going to move here and "buy a few acres, just out of town".  No, no you're not, that train left the station 20 years ago.

Same with everyone who thinks they are going to live down a gravel road 20 miles out of town and just go in for supplies once a month.

All those gravel roads are full of people with their Toyotas and Subarus who drive to town everyday for Starbucks, and blow all the roads out.

Bozeman is going to be at 100% production and construction capacity for the next 6 years trying to keep up with projected growth, and all the rest of the surrounding communities, don't really have solid plans on how to deal with all the people.

The biggest barrier to more people trying to move here, is that the current infrastructure won't allow it and the cost is only going to make it worse.
View Quote

You’ve forgotten horses in your calculus.
Everyone coming out of CA has promised their daughter a horse on their huge 2 acre ranchette.

Horse prices in the rest of the west are stupid as a result. $60k for a busted down “ranch” horse. LOL.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
northwestern energy is screaming for people in BZN.

and i refuse to do it, because fuck bozeman.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:
View Quote

Aside from the street layout, I 100% believe it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BTccw:

Everyone coming out of CA has promised their daughter a horse on their huge 2 acre ranchette.

Horse prices in the rest of the west are stupid as a result. $60k for a busted down “ranch” horse. LOL.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stickfigure:
Most of Montana just doesn't have the infrastructure for this many people, most of the big towns don't have by-passes to move traffic around them.

Secondly everyone who thinks they are going to move here and "buy a few acres, just out of town".  No, no you're not, that train left the station 20 years ago.

Same with everyone who thinks they are going to live down a gravel road 20 miles out of town and just go in for supplies once a month.

All those gravel roads are full of people with their Toyotas and Subarus who drive to town everyday for Starbucks, and blow all the roads out.

Bozeman is going to be at 100% production and construction capacity for the next 6 years trying to keep up with projected growth, and all the rest of the surrounding communities, don't really have solid plans on how to deal with all the people.

The biggest barrier to more people trying to move here, is that the current infrastructure won't allow it and the cost is only going to make it worse.

And yet everyone out here still has horses.  I don't know how they afford it.  Not rich Californians, either.  Talking locals who work regular jobs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]

You've forgotten horses in your calculus.

Horse prices in the rest of the west are stupid as a result. $60k for a busted down "ranch" horse. LOL.

View Quote
WWJDD?

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]
northwestern energy is screaming for people in BZN.

and i refuse to do it, because fuck bozeman.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]

You DO know that a lot of Californians are very conservative and hate what's happened to their state, right?  Do you want to punish them because they got outvoted?
View All Quotes

Doesn’t seem to have been the case in Arizona or Colorado.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

Have you seen Missoula?

I dropped my daughter off at the Bozeman airport not that long ago.  It was the first time I'd spent more than a few minutes in the town in 2 years and I was amazed how much had changed in just that short of a period of time.  That city is crazy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Which part?  Them being outvoted or them moving?  Because I can see people in CO and AZ not moving because they still hold out hope things will change.  CA is beyond hope.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
send Rip?
View Quote

Someone needs to go to the gravel pit

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Which part?  Them being outvoted or them moving?  Because I can see people in CO and AZ not moving because they still hold out hope things will change.  CA is beyond hope.
View Quote

AZ is going further and further blue. It’s bad down here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#27]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View Quote
i know northwestern's construction manager in BZN.

used to do hard time with his brother in missoula.

goes like this:

construction manager: so, we still need some help in bozeman.

JLP3: i know, sizzlechest.  and i still ain't coming to BZN.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

Someone needs to go to the gravel pit

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Totally, the 16k student university has no economic impact on jobs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#30]
i know northwestern's construction manager in BZN.

used to do hard time with his brother in missoula.

goes like this:

construction manager: so, we still need some help in bozeman.

JLP3: i know, sizzlechest.  and i still ain't coming to BZN.

View Quote

Surprised you didn’t tell him to buy you a few more harbor freight tarps and you would consider it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
The general Rule of Thumb when moving out West is if a town is next to or near a national park, a ski resort or recreation area, or has a university then the Californians have already ruined it and you can't afford to live there.

You look for an old mill town that has fallen on hard times, or someplace where agriculture or timber are the main industries.  Yeah, you'll have to sometimes put up with methheads or illegals but at least it will keep the rich liberals at bay.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
I won't even mention the names of the towns I'm considering moving to anymore, for sake of ruining another cool place.

I remember Bozeman in the 90s. It's unrecognizable when I drive through it anymore.
The general Rule of Thumb when moving out West is if a town is next to or near a national park, a ski resort or recreation area, or has a university then the Californians have already ruined it and you can't afford to live there.

You look for an old mill town that has fallen on hard times, or someplace where agriculture or timber are the main industries.  Yeah, you'll have to sometimes put up with methheads or illegals but at least it will keep the rich liberals at bay.  

The biggest factor I see is being within about 2 hrs of an airport with commercial flights. Wealthy folks don’t want to deal with a vacation house they can’t get to easily, or live in an area where it’s overly difficult to jet to NY or LA.

All the areas I’m comsidering are a major PITA to get to. I’m praying it stays that way for next 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Surprised you didn't tell him to buy you a few more harbor freight tarps and you would consider it.
View Quote

best i can do is an airstream in the pahkin' lot at work.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#33]
nailed it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

That's 1/3 off the median. So, there's still deals to be found
nailed it.

You’d jump on it in a Nu Yawk minute if it came with a dishwasher (Steph Chung or LBP), wouldn’t you?  Don’t bullshit me, Hoss!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#34]

https://images.plex.tv/photo?size=large-1920&scale=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.tmdb.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Foriginal%2FmT1nNikSCwz250HvW8QlOnMjthy.jpg
View All Quotes

Surprised you didn't tell him to buy you a few more harbor freight tarps and you would consider it.

https://images.plex.tv/photo?size=large-1920&scale=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.tmdb.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Foriginal%2FmT1nNikSCwz250HvW8QlOnMjthy.jpg

Some days that sounds like paradise.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

You'd jump on it in a Nu Yawk minute if it came with a dishwasher (Steph Chung or LBP), wouldn't you?  Don't bullshit me, Hoss!
View Quote
maybe?

i doubt i'd qualify for that much mortgage.

can steph chung and/or LBP shovel snow and butcher an elk?

well that and my dream has always been to purchase a 4/3 house in a college town, live in the unfurnished basement, and rent the bedrooms out to bicurious college cheerleaders and/or college gymnast chicks and/or college rower chicks to cover the rent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

View Quote
sometimes i talk to this urban camper dude who lives in a short bus in a movie theatre parking lot when i'm stopping for breakfast burritos at the gas n sip.

he has a KLR on the back of the short bus to we talk KLRs.

happiest sumbitch i've met in a long time.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#37]

The biggest factor I see is being within about 2 hrs of an airport with commercial flights. Wealthy folks don't want to deal with a vacation house they can't get to easily, or live in an area where it's overly difficult to jet to NY or LA.

All the areas I'm comsidering are a major PITA to get to. I'm praying it stays that way for next 10 years.
View Quote
just pick somewhere shitty like eastern WY or eastern south dakota or nebraska or kansas or missouri.

problem solved, problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#38]
The wind comes down out of the mountains September and blows them all right back where they came from/

... or it blows their frozen corpses to a low spot in November.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

View Quote

Some days? Man I’d love to take an airstream and go Galt on the world. Fuck this shitshow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
My dad grew up in and around Bozeman. Used to be a place for anyone. Now it's only afforable for rich socialites.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
The wind comes down out of the mountains September and blows them all right back where they came from/

... or it blows their frozen corpses to a low spot in November.
View Quote

“Priced-out locals” typically means they came from right where they are.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#42]
just pick somewhere shitty like eastern WY or eastern south dakota or nebraska or kansas or missouri.

problem solved, problem staying solved.
View Quote

Eastern WY might be it. As long as I qualify for resident WY hunting licenses, I’ll be happy. Buffalo or Sheridan seem nice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Eastern WY might be it. As long as I qualify for resident WY hunting licenses, I'll be happy. Buffalo or Sheridan seem nice.
View Quote
i lived in sheridan for a while.

too close to the mountains to be cheap.

not shitty enough to be cheap.

i'm thinking like pine bluffs, gillette, or torrington.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Some days? Man I'd love to take an airstream and go Galt on the world. Fuck this shitshow.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

You won’t find many people who despise Californians more than me, but…the ones who move (in droves) to horse country here in my area are, for the most part, conservatives and ashamed of their former state’s politics.  I always tell them (my new clients) “You don’t have to tell me where you came from.  When you look at the ground when I ask, it answers my question. Just remember what made your state so ‘great’ and don’t vote to ruin mine”.

To my knowledge, I haven’t lost a client yet by saying that. Most of them really do want to fit in.  But I don’t think that’s the norm in CO, MT, ID, AZ, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#46]
i lived in sheridan for a while.

too close to the mountains to be cheap.

not shitty enough to be cheap.

i'm thinking like pine bluffs, gillette, or torrington.
View Quote

Sad but true. Like I said, WY residency and not next to a sprawling suburban liberal shithole I’ll be pretty happy. The wind and cold and nothing will make me happy knowing who it keeps away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

He's wrong anyway.  I live in NW Wyoming and the prices are nowhere near that high, nor is it overcrowded.

So my dream of maybe moving to Cody or somewhere in that area isn’t dead?

Build your own in the west is north of $$$350ft2.
Further from “town” is pushing 400-450.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Sad but true. Like I said, WY residency and not next to a sprawling suburban liberal shithole I'll be pretty happy. The wind and cold and nothing will make me happy knowing who it keeps away.
View Quote
pine bluffs it is, then.

basically nebraska but no state income tax since it's still in WY.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

2 year old rope prospects are starting at about $50K here.  Cutters at $100K.  

Could probably buy a house in downtown Bozeman for what a busted down ranch horse would bring.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

He's wrong anyway.  I live in NW Wyoming and the prices are nowhere near that high, nor is it overcrowded.

So my dream of maybe moving to Cody or somewhere in that area isn’t dead?

I don't know.  Our neighbors managed it within the last two years.
Page / 6
Top Top