BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

I just read that the average cost of a house in Jackson just went up to $7 million.
View Quote

Only 7? GD billionaires will be here shortly to tell us that’s poor shit if it ain’t 20.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

Jackson is for the poors.
View Quote

We must be thinking of different Jackson's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He's gotta be thinking about Jackson MS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The Billionaires in Jackson pushed the Millionaires up to Bozeman.  It's been happing for decades.  

You should see the airports on a holiday weekend.  Nothing but Gulfstreams in Jackson, and mid-size jets in Bozeman.  GTFO of there poor man with your King Air.
View Quote

Bingo.  It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next decade or so as the whole western half of Montana is turned into a retreat for the wealthy.  They can get by with it in places like Jackson because those who work in Jackson Hole don't live in Jackson Hole, they commute over the pass from Idaho, much like the majority of those who work on Manhattan Island don't live on Manhattan Island they drive in over the bridges every morning.  It's getting to the point that there is nowhere remotely affordable within commuting distance of BozAngles/Big Sky.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
If the City needs low income workers than it should probably look into an income adjusted housing development or at the very least some kind of apartment complexes.  When in doubt there is always the good old fashioned tailer park.

View Quote

Subsidized housing schemes for low income workers!

A liberal tax and spend solution for sure. Tax everyone because you don’t like wages driven by capitalist principles.

Private equity has been buying the trailer parks and putting the squeeze on lot rates. Think captive audiencess.Subsidized housing money(from taxpayers) as well as avoiding taxes and escaping 1032 exchanges taxes play a role in most of the PE/trailer park acquisitions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

Bingo.  It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next decade or so as the whole western half of Montana is turned into a retreat for the wealthy.  They can get by with it in places like Jackson because those who work in Jackson Hole don't live in Jackson Hole, they commute over the pass from Idaho, much like the majority of those who work on Manhattan Island don't live on Manhattan Island they drive in over the bridges every morning.  It's getting to the point that there is nowhere remotely affordable within commuting distance of BozAngles/Big Sky.
View Quote

Driggs, Victor and Tetonia are feeling the impact!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s my retirement plan!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
I'm confused.  

Are these people that DID have homes in Bozeman, but then rent went up and they couldn't afford them?   Or are these homeless people that were going to be homeless anywhere, but Bozeman is a nice place for your cousin with the truck to drop your shitbox trailer off at?  

Also, why is it ALWAYS a Nissan Versa?
View Quote

Jenny grew up in bumfuck MT. She got a great job at the local watering hole, and was able to purchase her tiny little starter home for 109K in 2001.

Recently Jenny was promoted at the local watering hole to hole manager and is now making $21 an hour. Just enough to cover here modest house payment as it's almost paid off! Except now the house is being assessed at 1.2 million and her taxes are sky rocketing! She can't afford to keep the home any longer.

She could sell, but a similar home in the area she grew up in would just cost the same 1.2 M to purchase, but she wouldn't qualify for the loan, plus her new rate would be 8% instead of 2.3%.

Jenny is fucked.

Jenny sales the home and purchases an RV where she now lives behind the watering hole. She has a great little nest egg of money, but will now watch that dwindle down slowly as prices in the area rise for everything.

Jenny also just had someone ask for a Zimma at the local water hole.  WTF is going on?    
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Got relatives that are moving to Montana from here in Georgia.  It sounds nice. But I've watched the tempatures there during the winter. Nope.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

Jenny grew up in bumfuck MT. She got a great job at the local watering hole, and was able to purchase her tiny little starter home for 109K in 2001.

Recently Jenny was promoted at the local watering hole to hole manager and is now making $21 an hour. Just enough to cover here modest house payment as it's almost paid off! Except now the house is being assessed at 1.2 million and her taxes are sky rocketing! She can't afford to keep the home any longer.

She could sell, but a similar home in the area she grew up in would just cost the same 1.2 M to purchase, but she wouldn't qualify for the loan, plus her new rate would be 8% instead of 2.3%.

Jenny is fucked.

Jenny sales the home and purchases an RV where she now lives behind the watering hole. She has a great little nest egg of money, but will now watch that dwindle down slowly as prices in the area rise for everything.

Jenny also just had someone ask for a Zimma at the local water hole.  WTF is going on?    
View Quote

Pics of Jenny…
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TriggerM:
Got relatives that are moving to Montana from here in Georgia.  It sounds nice. But I've watched the tempatures there during the winter. Nope.
View Quote
one of the reasons i fell in love with the big sky country is the bad winters.

keeps the population low, keeps the riff raff out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My Brazilian wife has been chatting with another woman in Brazil who will be moving to Bozeman and will get married to her fiance there.  Sure hope the fiance has the funds to keep his house and not live in a RV.

A Brazilian woman will not tolerate Montana winters in an RV.   Michigan is cold enough for my wife.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chufree:
My Brazilian wife has been chatting with another woman in Brazil who will be moving to Bozeman and will get married to her fiance there.  Sure hope the fiance has the funds to keep his house and not live in a RV.

A Brazilian woman will not tolerate Montana winters in an RV.   Michigan is cold enough for my wife.
View Quote
pics of Bozeman bound Brazilian babe?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like Portland OR
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chufree:

LOL, no.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
This house was just listed for $810k.

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/2a229fadb01aaad3df55df3b825f4937-cc_ft_768.webp
View Quote

That's a few blocks away from the place I rented in early 90's when I went to school there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Ooh, finding work is the hard part.  That's why a lot of the residents in Bozeman are priced out--the only jobs available are tourism and service.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I live half an hour from Cody.  There's plenty of places available out here, though they are going to run you $500-700K if you want a nice house with some acreage around it.  You can get land a lot cheaper than that, of course, and build your own.

I’ll have to keep that in mind. If I can find work out there once I graduate, that would be a win in my book. Shay’s liked Cody and the surrounding towns.

Ooh, finding work is the hard part.  That's why a lot of the residents in Bozeman are priced out--the only jobs available are tourism and service.

I’d be thrilled with Columbia Falls and I work in the OR…. But I’m a pussy and can’t deal with that level of cold.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CoreShot:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

Driggs and Victor are nice little towns. I stayed in Victor last year to visit Grand Tetons because everything across the mountains was WAAAAAYYYYYY too expensive to stay in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I went to work in Bozeman 2.5 years ago, the streets were littered with "campers" then. Went to work in Missoula last month and the weridos were on serious display along the river trail. I thought for a second Osama Bin Laden was alive and walking the trail, except it was some white dude but he sure like to dress like OBL.

I'm a transplant myself and the retarded gatekeepers have no idea what's coming. Just watching the political ads tells gives you an idea of the intelligence level of the average voter, on either side. Look at this fucking ghoul. I'd say the next election will give a clear indication of how far MT has fallen. Hope not, but I'm not impressed with the garbage the GoP is supporting here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BTccw:

You’ve forgotten horses in your calculus.
Everyone coming out of CA has promised their daughter a horse on their huge 2 acre ranchette.

Horse prices in the rest of the west are stupid as a result. $60k for a busted down “ranch” horse. LOL.

View Quote

Oh, I never forget about horses.

I grew up on a horse ranch, we had 260 horses and about 90 long horn cows...

I had my parents sell them all.

At least all my properties are paid for now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Folks going to the Yellowstone Club don’t fly into Jackson.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
what a bunch of losers.

should have just bought a house when they were 6.

sucks to suck.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:
what a bunch of losers.

sucks to suck.

View Quote

I'm the loser.  I should have bought a house there back in the 90s instead of staying in Florida.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
what a bunch of losers.

sucks to suck.

View Quote

bruh.

i keep telling you:  if you'd bought a house in seattle for $250k back when you were two years old instead of pissing your money away on an iphone, stahbucks, cado toast, Lil Tikes Cozy Coupe, and a teddy bear you too could be a Billy Badass Billionaire navy squeal MMA fighter chef hardcase tough guy Gee Deer with 10 paid off rentals, 8700 SF compound off grid in 87 acres in the mountains, private jet, and harem of fully shaved 20 year old nympho supermodel girlfriends.

teddy says:  i got mine lol.  sucks to suck.  renters lol.  fuck you pay me.  work some OT for me boi lol.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#25]

bruh.

i keep telling you:  if you'd bought a house in seattle for $250k back when you were two years old instead of pissing your money away on an iphone, stahbucks, cado toast, Lil Tikes Cozy Coupe, and a teddy bear you too could be a Billy Badass Billionaire navy squeal MMA fighter chef hardcase tough guy Gee Deer with 10 paid off rentals, 8700 SF compound off grid in 87 acres in the mountains, private jet, and harem of fully shaved 20 year old nympho supermodel girlfriends.

https://www.lebouquetaz.com/cdn/shop/products/9inchPhilbin.jpg?v=1673896902&width=823

teddy says:  i got mine lol.  sucks to suck.  renters lol.  fuck you pay me.  work some OT for me boi lol.  
View Quote

Teddy is gonna get fed to my dog I swear
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Teddy is gonna get fed to my dog I swear
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#27]

bruh.

https://www.lebouquetaz.com/cdn/shop/products/9inchPhilbin.jpg?v=1673896902&width=823

View All Quotes
what a bunch of losers.

sucks to suck.

bruh.

You forgot deadlifting a Mack truck transmission in by hand by yourself in 16" of snow in a gravel parking lot after walking uphill both ways.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]

You forgot deadlifting a Mack truck transmission in by hand by yourself in 16" of snow in a gravel parking lot after walking uphill both ways.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Good ski resorts nearby attracts people with money who like that sort of thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
So what is it about Bozeman that makes a house worth a million dollars

Good ski resorts nearby attracts people with money who like that sort of thing.
It is very beautiful too
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
This house was just listed for $810k.

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/2a229fadb01aaad3df55df3b825f4937-cc_ft_768.webp
View Quote

$810k Biden Dollars.

That is $250k Trump Dollars.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
It is very beautiful too
View Quote

I never said it wasn’t. But the main draw to Bozeman over other gorgeous parts of MT is the skiing nearby.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]

I never said it wasn’t. But the main draw to Bozeman over other gorgeous parts of MT is the skiing nearby.
View Quote

Having Yellowstone just down the road doesn’t hurt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
It is very beautiful too

$10 Lift day Friday was great when I did pop quizzes.

Okay class, here is how to answer question 1. And 2.

If you were in class, you got a 100%.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#34]
This article  is somewhat relevant to this thread; rich developers want to build a large-scale luxury home community near the town.  Moab is well on its way to becoming another Jackson:

The Kane Creek development in Moab involves approximately 580 residential and commercial units spread over 180 acres along Kane Creek Boulevard and up against the Colorado River.

The development, managed by Kane Creek Preservation and Development LLC, aims to provide housing and economic diversification but has sparked controversy and opposition from local residents who are concerned for several reasons.

The Kane Creek Development Watch is an advocacy group created earlier this year to prevent the 180-acre private land resort from succeeding. The group has raised concerns about various potential impacts of the development, including environmental degradation, strain on local infrastructure and changes to the community's character and lifestyle.

View Quote
The irony is the Granola Leftists in Moab have been kicking the working-class Poors  out of town for years.  Now they're finding out that they are going to be the New Poors who will eventually be forced to leave.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Also that. I dreamt of moving to Montana earlier in my adult life. It was a short lived dream once I hopped on Zillow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Also that. I dreamt of moving to Montana earlier in my adult life. It was a short lived dream once I hopped on Zillow.
View All Quotes

I could have moved there instead of Wyoming.  The houses were about the same price at the time for the Livingston area.  The lack of a state income tax in Wyoming sealed the deal for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#37]

I could have moved there instead of Wyoming.  The houses were about the same price at the time for the Livingston area.  The lack of a state income tax in Wyoming sealed the deal for me.
View Quote

The last person Livingston needs is another writer, sheesh!

J/K, one of my good friends growing up, has a lot of writers in the family.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By stickfigure:

View All Quotes

Another reason I decided on where I live now is that Livingston has the interstate right there and has a LOT of pass-through traffic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Like I stated previously in the thread, I like Wyoming. Anywhere north of Thermopolis and west of Sheridan is fine by me. I really like the Cody-Powell area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Like I stated previously in the thread, I like Wyoming. Anywhere north of Thermopolis and west of Sheridan is fine by me. I really like the Cody-Powell area.
View All Quotes

Powell is great.  I love it here.  If I had the money, I'd live in Wapiti, but those places are pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Bozeman isn’t the same as it once was.
View Quote

That's the damn truth.  I started flying out there to head over to the neighboring county in 2001. My wife liked to spend a day in town because she liked the shopping on Main St. It was a beautiful clean little town for years. College kids and tourists around.  Then in about 2012 I started to see young people around town that looked like they had been kicked out of a Phish concert. It's only gotten worse since then.
It's a shame because it really is a nice town located in a beautiful area.  Bozangeles is for real.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Powell is great.  I love it here.  If I had the money, I'd live in Wapiti, but those places are pretty expensive.
View Quote

It’s a sweet little town. I nearly went to the college located there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Jenny is fucked.

View Quote
So why didn't they interview Jenny for the story?  Why did none of the people interviewed appear to say more than "it's expensive, so I'm homeless and living in a shitbox?"

Jenny's story I might be sympathetic of.  But the article makes me wonder what the ratio of Jennys/professional vagrants we're actually talking about.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 49north:
It can't start snowing soon enough to hide the stench.  Maybe city officials could tax the tourists more to pay for this mess since it's them and the newcomers responsible for this problem.
View Quote

Tourists? They forced people from their homes, causing inaffordability?

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Nothing here is different
Nothing’s changed at all
Livingston’s gone to Texas,
They say he had a ball.

They say he learned to be a cowboy
They say he learned to rope and ride
But I wonder if he ever
Thinks about the tears his woman cried.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Pics of Jenny…
View All Quotes

Jenny is fucked.

Pics of Jenny…

She had to start an OnlyFans.   Looks for @JenBoznHoz on the channel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Jenny is fucked.

Pics of Jenny…

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By wareagle30:

I hate to break it to you, but NW WY is almost as bad.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wareagle30:

I like Wyoming. Spent 6 months in the NW part of the state and I loved it.

I hate to break it to you, but NW WY is almost as bad.

My moms side of the family is from Deadwood and some are still in Sturgis and Rapid. People moving there from CA and CO because Montana is too expensive.

Little 1000 sq ft homes in Deadwood and the surrounding areas are upwards of 500k. Wish we would have kept grandmas place in Deadwood. Would have been a fun summer retreat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Precious87:

View Quote
Well, yeah:  Tourism and recreation industries have pretty much destroyed the West.  The tourists come in, see a nice place, and say "let's retire/buy a second home here" and start the real estate inflation cycle that drives working-class people out.

I've seen it happen first hand to numerous places throughout the west over the past 40 years -- Moab, Jackson, Springdale, Bear Lake, Torrey, Panguitch, and even Park City, where my wife grew up.  Places that were backwaters or quaint little towns until they caught the attention of wealthy folks and tourists from out of state.

It's what I call the "wilderness cycle", where a place in the middle of nowhere that no one knows about gets put on the map when it is designated as a wilderness area or national monument or national park.  Then it suddenly gets flooded with people seeking a "wilderness experience".  And of course these Nature Lovers want modern services with their adventures so they demand cafes and nice hotels and vacation resorts and yoga spas and coffee shops selling crystals and wind chimes and cheesy sheet-metal Kokopelli statues in the neighboring towns.

And before you know it the place has become a new Aspen that is so crowded and expensive that no one can afford to live there, so the locusts move on to the next unsuspecting town to start the cycle again.

The truth is the rural West was a lot more affordable, a lot more wild, a lot less crowded, and a lot more conservative back when its only occupants were farmers, ranchers, loggers, and miners.  The environmentalists have loved it to death.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Well, yeah:  Tourism and recreation industries have pretty much destroyed the West.  The tourists come in, see a nice place, and say "let's retire/buy a second home here" and start the real estate inflation cycle that drives working-class people out.

I've seen it happen first hand to numerous places throughout the west over the past 40 years -- Moab, Jackson, Springdale, Bear Lake, Torrey, Panguitch, and even Park City, where my wife grew up.  Places that were backwaters or quaint little towns until they caught the attention of wealthy folks and tourists from out of state.

It's what I call the "wilderness cycle", where a place in the middle of nowhere that no one knows about gets put on the map when it is designated as a wilderness area or national monument or national park.  Then it suddenly gets flooded with people seeking a "wilderness experience".  And of course these Nature Lovers want modern services with their adventures so they demand cafes and nice hotels and vacation resorts and yoga spas and coffee shops selling crystals and wind chimes and cheesy sheet-metal Kokopelli statues in the neighboring towns.

And before you know it the place has become a new Aspen that is so crowded and expensive that no one can afford to live there, so the locusts move on to the next unsuspecting town to start the cycle again.

The truth is the rural West was a lot more affordable, a lot more wild, a lot less crowded, and a lot more conservative back when its only occupants were farmers, ranchers, loggers, and miners.  The environmentalists have loved it to death.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Originally Posted By Precious87:

You blame that on tourism, but in reality, it was inevitable.  The population in the US went from 280 million in 2000 to 330 million now.  Those people were going to go SOMEWHERE.  And when they went to the neighborhoods where rich people lived, those rich people were going to move out, because they always do.
Page / 6
Top Top