Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2023 8:36:42 PM EDT
Where do you all-grainers get your malted barley?

I was thinking about doing a few batches of beer but I'd like to just go ahead and get some bulk stuff to keep the costs down.

I'd really like to make a nice munich helles lager.  Slightly sweet, malty beer with just a little bit of hoppiness.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually my local brew shop is good, but when I want special grains, I use More Beer:  https://www.morebeer.com/category/grains-malt-barley.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a local microbrewery, you can ask them where they pruchase grain.  They might even sell you a bag or let you tack onto their next order.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:
If you have a local microbrewery, you can ask them where they pruchase grain.  They might even sell you a bag or let you tack onto their next order.
View Quote

Huh, that's a great idea.  

There's a distillery in town.  I'll bet they do plenty of big malt orders.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I'd pass on distillers malt unless it was something like Golden Promise.  I got conned into trying some once and it made shitty beer.

https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/distillers-malt-vs-brewers-malt-in-the-us-and-their-applications/
View Quote

10-4, mostly want to see where they get their malt and possibly put in an order with them if its a wholesaler that has other suitable malts for making beer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to buy bulk 2-row from local breweries, but then they all started ordering it pre-milled, and I don't want that, I just want to mill as needed.
Now I just order it online from the usual suspects.

Personally I wouldn't order past what you are going to use within a few months (or less if it is premilled), and would invest in proper storage containers.
Top Top