Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/17/2024 4:26:09 PM EDT
A comprehensive survey conducted by the American Bible Society, "State of the Bible USA 2024," has revealed a continuing decline in Bible engagement among Americans. Experts worry this trend could have far-reaching implications for the country's spiritual and social fabric.

According to the study, only 38% of American adults now engage with the Bible at least three to four times a year outside of church services, marking a slight decrease from 40% in the previous year. This gradual decline has been a consistent trend over the past decade, with a notable drop from 50% in 2011 to under 40% today.

Despite the overall decrease in Bible usage, there are signs of an enduring interest in spiritual growth. The survey found that 15% of respondents reported an increase in their personal Bible use from the previous year, suggesting a resilient, albeit small, group of individuals deepening their engagement with scripture.

This spiritual decline is most pronounced among younger generations, with only 11% of Generation Z adults considered Scripture Engaged, the lowest among all age groups surveyed. This demographic is also the least likely to view the Bible as a significant influence in their lives.

https://www.jpost.com/christianworld/article-797286
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
God is dead.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Good riddance
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:.

According to the study, only 38% of American adults now engage with the Bible at least three to four times a year...[/url]
View Quote

Probably because there is no such thing as "bible engagement".
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ToxicMasculinity:
Good riddance
View Quote

Username checks out.  Stop being toxic and contributing to our decline.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#5]
Pitiful! Only true Weapon to fight wickedness in this would. I try to read through It at least 4 times a year. Currently I am reading through Reese's Chronological Bible.  It is eye-opening to read the Bible in the historical time frame, I love it.

My household loves the Word of God.  We read through it each year, My four kids ages 6-17 read some daily,  I ask each of the older three to read through the Bible each year, we talk about it often.  My youngest, reads about half a chapter a day, which I believe is pretty good for a 6 year old but he is a great reader.

Half of the adults in my congregation are trying to read through the Word this year.  We talk about it during announcement time each Sunday.

I apologize for any misspelling or improper grammar, I am still feeling pretty bad from my infection.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be surprised if the number is that high for Americans who identify as Christian.  For all Americans, there's no way it's that high.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
God is dead.
View Quote

The churches are to blame.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Good riddance
View Quote

Yea, because biblical ethics had nothing to do with how this country was originally formed,

In the time it was considered the greatest.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Bible Engagement???

Who the hell invented this new term to try and get people worked up?

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
They believe in nothing and fall for everything.

That is what happens when you aren't rooted in something solid.

I should start calling gen z ''breezers'' because they waft all over the place.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By xd675:

View Quote
I believe that Dads are to blame, they are no longer being the true head of the family in the way that God has mandate that they should be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToxicMasculinity] [#12]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:

View Quote

Being a decent person and living a life of virtue doesn't require a specific cult.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my college GFs was a very religious Lutheran girl and a daughter of a pastor. She carried a bible around with her, even on dates, and would quote scripture in our conversations.

A very sweet girl.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
Despite the overall decrease in Bible usage, there are signs of an enduring interest in spiritual growth. The survey found that 15% of respondents reported an increase in their personal Bible use from the previous year, suggesting a resilient, albeit small, group of individuals deepening their engagement with scripture.
View Quote
Among my peers, there is certainly an exploration of either spirituality or a soul, in addition to acceptance that there is no afterlife or grand plan. It's a very interesting mix! But not a single one looks at the Bible or sermons anything more than carrot-and-stick fables to get children (and adults) in line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By amos1909:
I believe that Dads are to blame, they are no longer being the true head of the family in the way that God has mandate that they should be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A decade of sheltering pedos didn’t help their case.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Good riddance

24's one of worst thing to happen to this site.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:20:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#17]

Being a decent person and living a life of virtue doesn't require a specific cult.
View Quote
Quick, define a "decent person" without stealing from the Biblical worldview.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#18]
People who know God know truth. It was a consistent theme the last four years. Really strengthened my resolve and direction. Its been great.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#19]
There must be something wrong with me...I don't seem to fit in anymore because I read the bible daily.  I'm on my fifth read through in the last four years and I have never read a book more than once.  This one is different because it has the words of spiritual regeneration and life.  Every time I read though I see more and more that I missed on the previous reading.  

I can most definitely assure Arfcom that God is not dead; he's watching and waiting for those that open the door and invite him in.  I feel totally blessed to be part of the body of Christians worldwide that follow Jesus of Nazareth.  No matter where I go I am always near to family.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
A big depression or world war will fix them right up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#21]
A comprehensive survey conducted by the American Bible Society, "State of the Bible USA 2024," has revealed a continuing decline in Bible engagement among Americans. Experts worry this trend could have far-reaching implications for the country's spiritual and social fabric.

According to the study, only 38% of American adults now engage with the Bible at least three to four times a year outside of church services, marking a slight decrease from 40% in the previous year. This gradual decline has been a consistent trend over the past decade, with a notable drop from 50% in 2011 to under 40% today.

This spiritual decline is most pronounced among younger generations, with only 11% of Generation Z adults considered Scripture Engaged, the lowest among all age groups surveyed. This demographic is also the least likely to view the Bible as a significant influence in their lives.

https://www.jpost.com/christianworld/article-797286
View Quote

I've wondered the accuracy of these surveys.

I imagine there are quite a lot of aint got time for that, fuck you for disturbing me, and privacy advocates that want nothing about them floating around that might distort the results.  Factor in record levels of mistrust with the MSM that reports on the results and I wonder if numbers dont get skewed due to the reaction right wingers have about the MSM lies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
Quick, define a "decent person" without using Biblical morality.
View Quote

Such things are both subjective and of a collective/community mind. Words like "decent, good, bad, evil" etc don't mean anything to me. I was trying to make the point simple enough where people can understand it.

Your society dictates what's good/bad
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
God is dead.
View Quote

The rest of that phrase is and we killed him.

There's definitely a cultural shift away from hardcore sticking to whatever religion you are born in to but I think a lot of people are discovering religion on their own and more wholly adopting it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#25]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
Quick, define a "decent person" without stealing from the Biblical worldview.
View Quote
That's like saying describe our Sun, without using anything which could come from a scientific worldview.  It's a dumb and meaningless challenge which proves nothing.  The reason for this is both science and biblical are all encompassing.  They attempt to describe and account for all things.  

Both the Sun and decent people exist without science or the bible. It's nearly impossible to describe one without using any reference other, because they exist to do so.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crux] [#26]
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Pitiful! Only true Weapon to fight wickedness in this would. I try to read through It at least 4 times a year. Currently I am reading through Reese's Chronological Bible.  It is eye-opening to read the Bible in the historical time frame, I love it.

My household loves the Word of God.  We read through it each year, My four kids ages 6-17 read some daily,  I ask each of the older three to read through the Bible each year, we talk about it often.  My youngest, reads about half a chapter a day, which I believe is pretty good for a 6 year old but he is a great reader.

Half of the adults in my congregation are trying to read through the Word this year.  We talk about it during announcement time each Sunday.

I apologize for any misspelling or improper grammar, I am still feeling pretty bad from my infection.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

I don't disagree and that is IF the kid knows who he is in the first place and if he is in their life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Because church leadership stood with all of the other organizations in society to preach and enforce feminism's ideology.

Most churches have moved away from what the Bible says anyways.  On my way to work theres three churches either flying LGBT flags or has large signs espousing the ideology of the alphabet people.

These churches are nothing more than a system of control.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Make sure to tell them to vote for Democrats because we don't want their dirty unbeliever votes anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess I'm part of the 15%.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:34:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#33]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:
Make sure to tell them to vote for Democrats because we don't want their dirty unbeliever votes anyway.
View Quote
I am a non believer.  I have only recent started actually voting for the presidency since Trump.  He was the first person I have ever voted for, for anything I think.  I have done that twice now, both times he ran.

I was planning on voting Republican again this year but if you don't want my vote, I can switch and vote Democrat.  Let me know. I will write on my ballot that Colt1860 of arfcom told me I was voted off the island.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]
If I Were the Devil by Paul Harvey - Original 1965 Broadcast
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
Among my peers, there is certainly an exploration of either spirituality or a soul, in addition to acceptance that there is no afterlife or grand plan. It's a very interesting mix! But not a single one looks at the Bible or sermons anything more than carrot-and-stick fables to get children (and adults) in line.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:

I see it more the result of trust in the church having been broken by the churches failings, which is part of the planned systematic destruction of the pillars of society by post modernists.

Some people are looking for answers in science, usually atheist leaning, others lessons they can observe in the natural order.  They tend towards some sort of neo pagan belief.

I always felt those types of pagans and Christians could find some middle ground over nature/God's creation depending on the persons perspective.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Because church leadership stood with all of the other organizations in society to preach and enforce feminism's ideology.

Most churches have moved away from what the Bible says anyways.  On my way to work theres three churches either flying LGBT flags or has large signs espousing the ideology of the alphabet people.

View All Quotes

I wonder if someone predicted this about Churches…… and wrote it down in a Book.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#37]
My, how we've grown.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
I am a non believer.  I have only recent started actually voting for the presidency since Trump.  He was the first person I have ever voted for, for anything I think.  I have done that twice now, both times he ran.

I was planning on voting Republican again this year but if you don't want my vote, I can switch and vote Democrat.  Let me know. I will write on my ballot that Colt1860 of arfcom told me I was voted off the island.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Originally Posted By Colt1860:

Recommend adjust sarcasm filter
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#39]
And we wonder what has caused America's downfall.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By crux:

Recommend adjust sarcasm filter
View Quote
I don't really think he was "just joking" when he called me dirty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#41]
No worries, God/Christ has everything in compete and total control. Things are are going exactly the way He has decreed things to go.

Matthew 6:25-27 25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

There's a Ku Klux Trans Temple (a rainbow cult church) on my way to work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

The rest of that phrase is and we killed him.

There's definitely a cultural shift away from hardcore sticking to whatever religion you are born in to but I think a lot of people are discovering religion on their own and more wholly adopting it.
View Quote

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"I am an orphan, alone ; nevertheless I am found everywhere. I am one, but opposed to myself. I am youth and old man at one and the same time. I have known neither father nor mother, because I have had to be fetched out of the deep like a fish, or fell like a white stone from heaven. In woods and mountains I roam, but I am hidden in the innermost soul of man. I am mortal for everyone, yet I am not touched by the cycle of aeons."

--Carl G. Jung
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Experts worry this trend could have far-reaching implications for the country's spiritual and social fabric.

https://www.jpost.com
View Quote

Experts in what, and why are they worried, exactly?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
The report introduces a new measure, the Spiritual Vitality Gauge (SVG), which assesses individuals' spiritual health
View Quote

please, make it stop!

We need more studies, scratch that, entire departments
dedicated to this. We need to turn the knobs and flex the muscle of policy, maybe even sic A.I. on this problem. Frame it correctly, do the perfect PR campaign, nudge people so we can get it to the correct level. Most of all, lots of money. Our modern democracy and science will fix this problem, just like all the other problems it has fixed (poverty, crime, mental and physical health, happiness)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Tiktok and Roblox are God now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#47]
My Church was pretty full on Sunday, and I live in Southern California.

But then again, the Jesus revolution was started here in the 70s, and is still slowly spreading out.

Jesus is King!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Many many people I know who call themselves Christians do not actually believe.  They just keep it low key so that they don't disappoint grandma.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
What kind of Americans?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jacon] [#50]
God is dead.
View Quote

View Quote

The churches veered from emphasizing the teachings of God/Jesus and got sucked into a losing debate on trying to validate the deity of Jesus. Once you are skeptical in the belief of a divine being, it's easy to invalidate the teachings of said being. This is where Christianity went wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top