Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 10:23:04 AM EDT
Clicked on my PCs NETWORK  the other day I'm seeing devices showing up on it....Honda and some random phones. I jumped onto my router to see if they were showing up but did not see them. I changed my SSIDas a precaution. Checked again and still get random devices showing up.

I don't think these devices are actually connected but why are they showing up on my PCs "Network"?

I'm using a 5gh/2.4ghz air card connected to my home router and I'm running Norton antivirus with whatever standard firewall settings it uses.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You're probably seeing other peoples networks, are they all locked?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
View Quote

This.  They're just listed as available for you to connect to.  Here is a link that tells how you can hide them if you want.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-block-unknown-wi-fi-network-from-appearing/027345e8-899e-413c-957b-0279a866c5d6
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ske714:

This.  They're just listed as available for you to connect to.  Here is a link that tells how you can hide them if you want.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-block-unknown-wi-fi-network-from-appearing/027345e8-899e-413c-957b-0279a866c5d6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@ske714
@Tejas1836

Let me try again. I'm not talking about available networks for wifi.....i'm click on MyComputer that lists drives, desktop, 3d objects, my documents etc. Last on the list is Network. I clicked on that, it shows my computer, other visible computers, my router, and I'm picking up other devices...like phones, cars etc that are not mine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

@ske714
@Tejas1836

Let me try again. I'm not talking about available networks for wifi.....i'm click on MyComputer that lists drives, desktop, 3d objects, my documents etc. Last on the list is Network. I clicked on that, it shows my computer, other visible computers, my router, and I'm picking up other devices...like phones, cars etc that are not mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@ske714
@Tejas1836

Did you restart your router after you changed the SSID?  Do you have wifi security turned on?  (Does your wifi require a password?)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Software you have installed might have created virtual network devices.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
hmm, odd unless you've been hacked
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
How does your home connect to the interwebz?

I once had a cable provider that had their network jacked up and I could see everyone's devices on my street.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]

@ske714
@Tejas1836

Screen shot my network map. So a couple of mornings when I have sat down at my computer I have seen "other devices" at the bottom that I don't recognize. Right now my TVs are showing up. I've seen Mantis (probably a phone), Android (phone) and Honda (someone's car obviously). I don't recognize any of these devices.

I have comcast digital internet and their Cisco based router. Comcast offers a separate wifi channel for other comcast xfinity customers. I logged into my router and confirmed that that feature is turned off so it is just my internet operating through my router.

And yes, as I stated originally, I changed my router password when I noticed it but I'm still seeing these devices popping up. Usually in the morning when kids and parents are nearby for the school bus.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]

And yes, as I stated originally, I changed my router password when I noticed it but I'm still seeing these devices popping up. Usually in the morning when kids and parents are nearby for the school bus.
View Quote

You said you changed the SSID.  That is not a password.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Bluetooth network items populating maybe?

Do you have bluetooth enabled for connections?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
How does your home connect to the interwebz?

I once had a cable provider that had their network jacked up and I could see everyone's devices on my street.
View Quote

Cable Internet prior to DOCSIS was really wild.

One provider was just using 802.3b (10broad36) media converters so it was just like an old 10base2/5 installation, with all the fun that entailed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]

You said you changed the SSID.  That is not a password.
View Quote

My bag... left the ssid the same and changed the password.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
You are seeing Bluetooth devices. Has nothing to do with your Wi-Fi.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Bluetooth devices showing up in network neighborhood?

Or some other location on the PC?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure this is off.

Top Top